Maybe a bit OT?

Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry if this is off-topic, but I took some pictures today of a few insects I wish to ID. My wife said she was watching something the other day on the BBC with Chris Packham and they were advertising an Open University website that allowed you to upload a picture of any animal and it would tell you what it was - does anyone know what that site is? I've googled, but can't find anything and my wife can't remember now...

Thank you.

Yeh, It's called 'TalkPhotography' :D

Yeh, stick em on here, I'm sure we'll manage to ID them

Hehe! OK - well, I'm new around here, so am not really sure if it gets a bit annoying for people to keep seeing messages with "ID needed", so I thought I'd try to find an automated way, but hey-ho - the insects I'm interested in ID'ing are currently pictures 1 and 4 on my flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pg333/ - the first one made my wife feel sick and the second one she hid her face behind a sheet of paper!

Hehe! OK - well, I'm new around here, so am not really sure if it gets a bit annoying for people to keep seeing messages with "ID needed", so I thought I'd try to find an automated way, but hey-ho - the insects I'm interested in ID'ing are currently pictures 1 and 4 on my flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pg333/ - the first one made my wife feel sick and the second one she hid her face behind a sheet of paper!

Annoyed? People? On here?

Nah! We LOVE proving how clever we are! Don't we peeps?

By the way, I think it is a Bee Fly.

I think the first is some kind of True Fly and the last is a Cricket. Where were they taken?

Thanks for the help. They were taken in Ashford, Kent, in a mixed woodland area with a stream running nearby.

I've never heard of a true fly (from another angle, it looked like a spotty-poo fly!), but I have often wondered what the difference is between a cricket and a grasshopper...

Pop over to Birdforum.net. As well as experts in bird ID they have people with encyclopaedic knowledge of insects - and a massive 13-page thread just about Hoverflies.

Wow - thanks for the response guys - I shall have to update my flickr photo descriptions as well now!

Many thanks Mike - that was the site my wife was trying to remember! (y)

Definitely recommend the Wild About Britain site - lots of knowledgeable people on there.

Dave

Back