(Maybe not so...) Contrasty portraits

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, so I fancied doing something a bit different with portraits of my eldest today - a bit moodier with more contrast and deeper shadows... I quite like the look personally, by not sure if it works as well as a more conventionally lit shot?

34095384345_2410bfd9b2_b.jpg

C&C always welcome...

conventionally lit shot?

That exists? Really?

I always thought that there were pleasing
or less pleasing portraits!

Works a treat for me. I don't think that it is that contrasty to be honest as although the shadows are there they are pretty well lite if you get my drift.

Gaz

That exists? Really?

I always thought that there were pleasing
or less pleasing portraits!

Thanks Kodiak. Well, looking at a lot of child photos, there's a tendency towards flatter and softer lighting. So I called that conventional but maybe there's a language barrier?

As for pleasing or less pleasing, well that was pretty much what I asked for opinions on - again, apologies if it didn't translate.

Hi, Paul, handsome chap with a great smile :)

The lighting is still quite soft and doesn't really give a moody feel, IMO.

I think more side lit and harsher shadows would convey moody better.

Cheers.

Hi, Paul, handsome chap with a great smile :)

The lighting is still quite soft and doesn't really give a moody feel, IMO.

I think more side lit and harsher shadows would convey moody better.

Cheers.

You're right - definitely side-lit would deepen the shadows but, if I'm honest, I struggle to get that to work with kids... I've used a beauty dish, for example, and it's left me with something that appeals from a photographic sense, but not as a parent (which is much of the point of taking pics of our own kids!)... if you know what I mean?

This is pleasing… love the expression!

Thanks Kodiak. Out of interest, how does the lighting compare between the two for you?

Lovely...but not contrasty :)

Indeed. Unfortunately my daughter is quite a bit shorter so I had to adjust the stripbox and I don't think I quite got it in an equivalent position. I also ran out of backdrop at the bottom (it didn't quite go to the floor) hence the reason the camera is positioned below her, looking up :)

LOL, just seen Lovely on her top.

It could say anything, it's just the little bird she likes :)

I think we're going to have trouble with her...

Out of interest, how does the lighting compare between the two for you?

This is a question I face as a photographer.

But on this thread, I am a viewer. My only concern is
my visual pleasure (thanks for sharing!).

For my pleasure, I prefer the funny, smily, girly look of
the second shot to the more static, rigid, "not so easy"
expression in the first. :cool:

I think.. they're fine but they'd work better if all of the styling went with the quirky expressions and distinctive lighting, and that dark grey would be more effective than black.

This is ostensibly similar - with very similar lighting - but shows what I mean..

Bendini, juggling.
by Simon Carter, on Flickr

Thanks Simon - super idea. Getting the kids to dress up is easy so I will definitely be trying that out. And easy to throw a light onto the BG to make it dark grey...

Stopping our 3 year old from trying to put on makeup is hard enough as it is, so not sure I'll get brownie points from encouraging it for a photo though!

Back