Medium format... AGAIN. Sorry guys.

RB67 with 50mm lens - 3000g :D

Jesus H, that's the same weight as my daughter. I knew the Mamiya was heavy but that has just put it into perspective.

Last edited:
Worth hitting the plastic for! - in it's day that lot would have set you back a small fortune - I've dealt with LCE - good company!, and they'll try to post it to you in time for Christmas :cool:

Last edited:
That branch of LCE is just over the road from my office ... must resist temptation ... ;)

I weighed my Bronica SQ-Ai with speed grip, 80mm lens, prism head and 120 back at 2.2 kilos.

I agree the RB67 is heavy, for sure. I suppose it depends on what the photographer wants to use it for. For anything hand held, sure, it needs to be comfy and light. Indeed, for the studio or landscapes, where a tripod is pretty much a necessity, the RB67 is the way forward imho. I refuse to believe that weight is an issue for either of those two uses though, as once on your shoulder, 3KG is naff all unless you're a total pansy imho!

I know my LF is made mostly of wood, but even that is heavy... and let's not even start about rail cameras! :/

Mel, did you see this link someone posted in the Bargains thread?

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Hass...-+-80mm-f/2.8-T*-+-50mm-f/4-T*-Kit_65967.html

There's a fast train to Southampton leaving shortly :D

That branch of LCE is just over the road from my office ... must resist temptation ... ;)

Popped over there at lunchtime and the kit is good but not great. There are a couple of areas where the trim is peeling on the body and one of the backs, though there's not much visible wear elsewhere. Bit of glue would sort that out, of course.

The lenses are good again, bit of paint wear and some dust in both of them but otherwise ok. The backs are both very clean inside and have dark slides, both lenses have hoods and there's a spare focusing screen (not split prism) and some filters included. The body also comes with the original box and instruction manual.

Gave it a trial run and the mirror wasn't returning very quickly after each shot, which turned out to be a sticky shutter button. Chap in the shop insisted on running shot after shot through it to show that it was loosening up, though even after he'd done about 20 there was still a variable delay. I explained that it needed a CLA, to which he eventually agreed.

I was offered a discount if I took the camera away to have it cleaned myself, which I declined on the grounds that they wouldn't provide a warranty if I did. They've agreed to send it to their usual guy for a CLA instead, then they'll call me once it's back in the shop.

Now all I have to do is sell enough of my other gear to cover the cost. I really wants a 'blad, I does, it be my precious ... :nuts:

Popped over there at lunchtime and the kit is good but not great. There are a couple of areas where the trim is peeling on the body and one of the backs, though there's not much visible wear elsewhere. Bit of glue would sort that out, of course.

The lenses are good again, bit of paint wear and some dust in both of them but otherwise ok. The backs are both very clean inside and have dark slides, both lenses have hoods and there's a spare focusing screen (not split prism) and some filters included. The body also comes with the original box and instruction manual.

Gave it a trial run and the mirror wasn't returning very quickly after each shot, which turned out to be a sticky shutter button. Chap in the shop insisted on running shot after shot through it to show that it was loosening up, though even after he'd done about 20 there was still a variable delay. I explained that it needed a CLA, to which he eventually agreed.

I was offered a discount if I took the camera away to have it cleaned myself, which I declined on the grounds that they wouldn't provide a warranty if I did. They've agreed to send it to their usual guy for a CLA instead, then they'll call me once it's back in the shop.

Now all I have to do is sell enough of my other gear to cover the cost. I really wants a 'blad, I does, it be my precious ... :nuts:

Blimey, you succumed to temptation pretty quickly :)

I think the moral here is how imprtant it is to have a look at the kit before buying or only buy from someone whose description of items you trust to be accurate. I for one would have been pretty miffed to have bought this 'blad based on the description given and then received the camera as per Strappy's description of it.

Blimey, you succumed to temptation pretty quickly :)

If there's one thing I can't resist ... ;)

They're keen to sell, offered me £50 off before we discovered the problem with the mirror. Judging from the way it took two of them to demonstrate it while clearly guessing at functions like the mirror lock-up, I'd say they're more used to digital and would like it gone. Given that'd be a serviced body with two lenses and some extras and 6 months warranty, it seemed a pretty good deal to me.

Once CLA'd and with the discount it does sound like a bargain.

I for one would have been pretty miffed to have bought this 'blad based on the description given and then received the camera as per Strappy's description of it.

Me too, but LCE's customer service is absolutely excellent - they really are very accommodating, that's why I never have any hesitations in recommending them. And also they seem to get a lot of gear in to so many stores, that expertise on every possible camera system (including V-series 'blads, which, let's face it is a relatively niche thing in 2012) is not always going to be a possibility.

My bigger issue is who they would be sending it to for a CLA, Hasselblads can be complex bits of kit that need the right tools and the right brains to get right :shrug:

Oh Dean you have absolutely no resistance to the lure of the 'blad. Buy it, buy it, buy it and bring it to Greenwich then I to can fall under its spell. :naughty:

Andy

Lucky escape, the little red guy on my shoulder with a trident, horns, and a tail was telling me to phone up and buy it this morning, but the one on the other shoulder with wings and a halo battered some sense into me saying it is only 750 quid for a reason. Never mind, I think mrs kenm is dragging me and both my accomplices into Manchester tomorrow and we all know what that might mean.
Still, even with having to do a CLA, that still seems like a very good deal.

Lucky escape, the little red guy on my shoulder with a trident, horns, and a tail was telling me to phone up and buy it this morning, but the one on the other shoulder with wings and a halo battered some sense into me saying it is only 750 quid for a reason. Never mind, I think mrs kenm is dragging me and both my accomplices into Manchester tomorrow and we all know what that might mean.
Still, even with having to do a CLA, that still seems like a very good deal.

Real Camera......?

But the sun always shines in Real cameras.

Old thread bump but with a relevant update ;)

I got a call from LCE Southampton today to tell me that the 'blad they were selling before Christmas was back from its service. I went over for a look, it's been cleaned up, the loose leather was stuck down and all the speeds sounded right to my ear.

Unfortunately I've had time to think over Christmas and right now I can't justify spending that sort of money when I hardly get out to use the cameras I've already got so with reluctance, I walked away. Hopefully someone on here will snag a bargain as they'll take £699 if you haggle a little, though they claimed to have 5 people lined up on a waiting list so it may have gone already.

Unfortunately I've had time to think over Christmas and right now I can't justify spending that sort of money when I hardly get out to use the cameras I've already got so with reluctance, I walked away. Hopefully someone on here will snag a bargain as they'll take £699 if you haggle a little, though they claimed to have 5 people lined up on a waiting list so it may have gone already.

That's an absolute bargain - if they supply a copy of the service invoice with it. If not, and problems develop after 6 months, it's an expensive CLA you are looking at.

Having spent a slightly frustrating morning with the folder trying to get some early morning transparencies. The folders rather vague viewfinder plus the fact it is more than a little soft unless stopped well down coupled with no working slower shutter speeds added to the need for something wider all add up to... I've decided I need a better MF camera.

You lot are a bad influence....

How much (roughly) should one look to pay for a working RB or SQ/SQ-A? I'd like to make at least 6x6 negs. Actually I want 4x5 trannies but baby steps. :D

How much (roughly) should one look to pay for a working RB or SQ/SQ-A? I'd like to make at least 6x6 negs. Actually I want 4x5 trannies but baby steps. :D

Depends what lens(es) you want, really. SQ/SQ-A kit tends to be relatively stable with pricing, but I've seen RB kit priced all over the shop.

I think I'd be happy with a wide and a normal. I'm not sure what FL these would be, depends on the system I suppose.

Go 4x5 straight away, you know you want too :D

Mart

I don't suppose the cameras are that much more expensive but I don't think my local lab processes sheet film and I think I'd rather not know how much if he did!

You could probably pick up some RB kit for around £300, the lenses are normally well priced but the film holders are the expensive bit, i've seen them go for between £30 and £80 each.

Where is best to look?

Any one had one CLA'd recently? Would getting one cheaper from eBay and having it serviced be better option?

I'd say check the (remaining) bigger stores as the indies such as Ffordes know what they're selling whereas others like LCE may take film gear in part-ex and just want to move it on. I got a great deal on my RZ from LCE, for example.

Another option is gumtree, though you might have to wait a while before you see a bargain come up.

Yeah ffordes seemed to be very expensive as was the local guy in Morningside. I've looked at gumtree intermittently and the few that come up seem to have been priced against the dealers and were very overpriced given you don't get a warranty.

I don't suppose there is much difference in cost between the lenses? A set-up for one or the other would end up costing about the same if i'm careful?

I don't suppose there is much difference in cost between the lenses? A set-up for one or the other would end up costing about the same if i'm careful?

I believe so but bear in mind that RB lenses can be used on an RZ but not the other way around. Mine came with 3 lenses though so I haven't been checking the market for more.

I have noticed a couple of lenses being sold out of the far east on ebay that have been priced quite cheaply so that might be worth keeping an eye on.

Sure they are. That's why they made the left hand grip!

Having tried hand-holding this weekend, I've concluded that the Speed Grip was named ironically. ;)

Having tried hand-holding this weekend, I've concluded that the Speed Grip was named ironically. ;)

I've walked many miles carrying an RB67 with a left hand grip. I have also done a couple of weddings with one with a Vivitar 285 flash attached to the grip.

It's not for everyone though so definitely worth trying out before buying if possible.

Steve.

Last edited:
I looked at that one, reckon its better than the SQ? Need to price up a normal lens for it as well.

You should be able to pick up a 50mm wide angle for about £70 or a 90mm "normal" lens for about £50

Back