Medium Format Processing.

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
OK- I'm probably going to be shooting a few 6X7 colour trannies. I find the processing side a PITA tbh, but I can just about cope with processing E6 stuff in the kitchen at home if I have to, as a get around for the endless wait of sending them away. If I do that, anyone know the cheapest scanner which will cope with 6X7 trannies?

What I'd really like to do is drop 'em in somewhere, go for a cuppa and then pick 'em up. Is there anywhere left like that? :shrug:

We're talking 120 roll film obviously.

Am I sounding like a dinosaur? :exit:

I need to do some research locally but I'm not too hopeful Rog. The local Jessops tell me they send them away for processing and they can scan them to CD. 2 weeks turn round though! :shrug:

I use an Epson Perfection 4870... I think that's the number... get one of those and you won't go wrong. Don't think they make them any more :( but I'm sure there's some around second hand ... sorry, pre-owned!

Cheers Barry I did see those and I think there are later models with the same capabilities. That probably is the best (cheapest anyway) option. (y)

If you've got to wait that long Cedric you might as well send them off to Peak Imaging and get them to scan them as well as taking away the processing hassle :shrug:

Indeed Barry. I dunno which way to go yet. :D

Thanks again Rog. I used Colab in Brum for years and always personally dropped and collected wedding photos rather than trust the mail. It's about a twenty mile round trip for me using just about the worst stretch of motorway in the country - Junction 9 M6 to Spaghetti :puke:

Colab have now merged with someone else to form One Vision Imaging and they now seem to be centralised in Coventry which is quite a distance.

I suppose the sensible thing to do is just suck on it and mail 'em off! :D

Oh ... good luck with whatever route you go then but I'm not sure I could ever be bothered with the self help one again ... :eek:

:p

Hi I'm not sure if already set off to the lab but since your West Midlands you might give The Darkroom a try, based in Cheltenham. Cost fro 120 E6 by post is £3.70, including freepost, which takes some beating. They've been around for years and are reliably quick
http://the-darkroom.co.uk
They can scan as well for an extra £11.00 per film but the files size varies on 120 - something around 15Mb is what I get

I'm with Chuckles on this - I use Peak imaging and have nothing but good things to say about them, quality results & fairly quick turn around (sent Mon got back Fri).
I recently had a couple of cracking Xpan shots from Glencoe that I wanted to adjust and blow up to A3, so I sent off the negatives and went through what post processing I wanted with the technician over the phone (bit like distance Photoshopping) and hey presto they arrived 4 days later exactly how I wanted them. This maybe a service you want to consider if you want to do the same.

went through what post processing I wanted with the technician over the phone (bit like distance Photoshopping)

A bit like when the tog would tell the printer what he/she was trying to achieve in the camera and the printer would pull a rabbit from the hat and make it happen for them. ;):LOL:

Man you would not believe the number of supposedly well trained and experienced snappers I used to tow out of that well know creak when they couldn't paddle for toffee. :D

Yea, point taken - but you don't know what I had done (not much) I was only trying to purvey their capabilities.
Besides, all the top film togs in the world crop, dodge & burn to fine tune a worthwhile image.

Sorry! I didn't type that out too well did I. I didn't mean to imply that you had been rescued by a printer, just that a good working relationship between printer and snapper used to be common place. I kind of rambled off topic though and one thing had nothing to do with the other.

If anything, people doing their own PP and printing these days has probably made then more aware of what needs to be right to make a good finished image.

You're right in a way though Dazzajl. It is sometimes necessary to get the printer to bring detail out in certain areas as transparencies are difficult to balance exposure, with subjects that include high contrasts - snow, ice, shadows & sun.
Wondered off from the subject of scanning I think.

It's a pity you don't like further south - as city photo in southampton do a three-hour turnaround for 120 film.

Have you tried contacting any independent photo shops in yr area - they might?

Good thought - unfortunately the independent photo shops which used to be in this area were either bought out by Jessops, or closed down by competition from Jessops when they were taking over the world a few years back. ;)

I'm sure there'll be somewhere - it's just finding 'em.

How did you finally get on with this Cedric ... :shrug:

And have we seen any results yet ... :cautious:

LOL. Not yet Ven - haven't had chance to use it in anger, but you will. ;)

I got the 90mm f3.8 with the camera which is considered the standard lens and the one usually sold with the body.

I've since added the 50mm f4.5, as I'm primarily interested in tackling (shock horror) one or two landscapes. As I live right in the middle of the urban sprawl, that's not a casual undertaking, but it will definitely be happening.

No - haven't ordered any film yet, but I'm leaning strongly towards trannies ( if you'll pardon the expression) :D

I've since added the 50mm f4.5, as I'm primarily interested in tackling (shock horror) one or two landscapes. As I live right in the middle of the urban sprawl, that's not a casual undertaking, but it will definitely be happening.

So ... :cautious: ... it's finally getting you away from your birdie comfort zone then ... :shrug:

;)

Indeed. A bit rash do you think then Rog? :D

Nah ... :cautious: ... never too late to spread ones wings Cedric ... :D

Believe it or not I have always fancied these machines too and your recent activities have already got me tracking in fleabay ... :eek:

Oooh. Careful Rog..there's some mean machines out there for daft money. :woot:

:LOL: Come on then - anything in particular you fancy? :woot:

I reckon this is the only forum on the web where you can say this without getting banned:

OK- I'm probably going to be shooting a few trannies. I find the processing side a PITA tbh, but I can just about cope with processing in the kitchen at home if I have to, as a get around for the endless wait of sending them away.
What I'd really like to do is drop 'em in somewhere, go for a cuppa and then pick 'em up. Is there anywhere left like that?
:D

Cone on then Rog - what have you done?? :cautious:

Ooops ... :naughty:

Didn't really intend to just got caught up in the auction fever at the time and was sitting here with the lappy on my lappy ... :puke: ... what else is a fella to do ... :help:

Plus three other bits 'n bobs from the same seller who was selling a complete and comprehensive outfit ... :eek:

Lost one of hers too but she threw in a manufacturer's own hard case for good measure ... :D

Oh dear ... :wacky:

Back