Medium Format

No idea what that is!!!

These are example folders;

SSpdxSSR.jpg

As per Trevor's post above, for portraits where you're going to want to shoot with a shallow DOF I'd be using an SLR style camera or a TLR. Either way you get a 'live' view through a mirror so you can judge your focus immediately.

I use a speed grip with hot shoe on my Bronica SQ-B.

For flash I use a wireless transmitter in the hot shoe. No messing about with synch cords.

Perfect.

I use a speed grip with hot shoe on my Bronica SQ-B.

For flash I use a wireless transmitter in the hot shoe. No messing about with synch cords.

Perfect.

Sorry. What's a speed grip?

Does anybody have some studio style examples of portraits with MF?

Are you better shooting on colour and converting digitally to B&W. Or should I wash my mouth out and use B&W film?

Can't offer you any more advice than you've already received but I look forward to seeing some of your stuff on film!

West Yorkshire have a few medium format cameras in stock at the moment. Even if you don't buy from them, it'll give you an idea of some of the cameras available:
They have a selection of SLRs and TLRs at present, including an MPP Microcord, which would make a good starter TLR, and a few Bronica SQ-As, which offer fantastic value and performance. The Bronica offers interchangeable backs too.

Ugh, I saw those SQ-A's on WYC's Instagram a few nights ago and had to immediately turn my phone off and go to bed. Really have a hankering for an SQ-A but I can't trust myself to look at them as I'm too impulsive!

Other questions. Film - how much, where from?

It's pretty simple really:

Buy Portra 400.
Shoot Portra 400.
Send to UK Film Lab.
Wait.
Wait a bit more.
Download scans.
Cry a bit.
Buy a lot more Portra.

I tried to explain to my eldest (9) as to why I wanted a new camera

"So how do you see the picture once you've taken it?"

"You have to pay to see the photo?"

"What if it's out of focus or rubbish?"

"What do you mean you can only take 12-15 shots?"

I told her it slows you down, makes you think carefully, gives you a slight element of anticipation, waiting for the results. But, most importantly, when it all falls into place the results are just WOW!

It's safe to say my 9yr old is not a film convert!!

Cheers, I blame you and @manda for this incursion anyway!! Posting all those lovely portraits!

Awww, too kind. Thank you. Amanda's stuff is kick ass! Will be shooting some at your friends wedding hopefully in September. :)

Ugh, I saw those SQ-A's on WYC's Instagram a few nights ago and had to immediately turn my phone off and go to bed. Really have a hankering for an SQ-A but I can't trust myself to look at them as I'm too impulsive!

It's pretty simple really:

Buy Portra 400.
Shoot Portra 400.
Send to UK Film Lab.
Wait.
Wait a bit more.
Download scans.
Cry a bit.
Buy a lot more Portra.

Unfortunately, this is far too accurate.

I told her it slows you down, makes you think carefully, gives you a slight element of anticipation, waiting for the results. But, most importantly, when it all falls into place the results are just WOW!

I would love nothing more than to teach my kids (which at the moment are imaginary) to shoot on film.

My 6 year old daughter helps me to fit new light seals in cameras as well as shooting her own film in a Lomo multi-lens camera that was kindly donated to her by @Asha on here. At first she had the same questions about waiting to see the results but now happily rattles through 36 shots on a roll!

Once you're set up, shoot some slide/transparency film (Provia maybe... not sure Velvia would be great with skin tones). When the trannies come back, stick them on a light box (eg an iPad), then show them to your 9-year-old. She just might change her mind! (This is the "miniature stained glass window" wow factor!)

Double post.

Last edited:
Great post and it's really interesting to see everyone's advice.

As you know I decided to stick with the F100 so I could use my lenses and see how I cope.

When I first looked at MF I looked at the Broncia posted above (on my phone - hope I spelt it right).

I was also tempted by the auto-focus with the Fuji GN (?). There's one for sale in the film forum at the mo.

Keep us updated! I'll be following in your photo-foot steps.

PS Gaz is my inspiration too. I think he uses the beloved Contact 645?

Great post and it's really interesting to see everyone's advice.

As you know I decided to stick with the F100 so I could use my lenses and see how I cope.

When I first looked at MF I looked at the Broncia posted above (on my phone - hope I spelt it right).

I was also tempted by the auto-focus with the Fuji GN (?). There's one for sale in the film forum at the mo.

Keep us updated! I'll be following in your photo-foot steps.

I have to say I was tempted by the nikon f-range but I really wanted the "larger" format as well as the experience of shooting film.

And in a very superficial way, I like the idea of looking through the big viewfinder/ground glass [emoji85]

Last edited:

Awww behave!

Amongst others, yes. I only got the Contax for weddings but have started using it more for personal stuff. I also have an F100 which only gets used at weddings as for me, it's too modern to enjoy using it for anything fun. Maybe I'll try it soon though.
For 35mm, I tend to reach for the Leica M2 and when the Hasselblad is fixed I'm looking forward to using that again. [emoji4]

A lot depends on whether you are happy with square format. For portraits, it has the advantage that you don't have to turn the camera for portrait format, but you may end up wanting to crop to portrait, which might mean you're effectively getting 12 645 shots from a roll rather than 16! If you want square and longer lenses, then AFAIK roughly there are 3 choices, in increasing order of cost Bronica SQ, Hasselblad 500 and Mamiya 6 (a rangefinder with fantastic lenses). TLRs ruled out because they only come with "normal" lenses. I'd guess for a good specimen only the Bronnie would fit the budget (the M6 would be 2-3 times budget!).

If you want 645 and portrait format, there are issues. It's notable there is a range of Fuji 645 cameras, some autofocus, which are portrait format by default, and have good lenses (mostly or all non-interhcnageable?). But I think these mostly pan out as wide rather than long.

The Mamiya 645 and Bronica ETRs are common 645 SLRs (4:3 ratio). (You can get a 645 back for the Bronica SQ as well.) You'd not want waist level finders, as it's (literally) a pain in the neck to use a WLF on its side for portrait format. You'd want a prism, which means you can get a metered prism. The earlier Mamiya 645s do not have interchangeable backs ("inserts" does not mean the same thing; you can't change film easily until it's been fully wound on). There has been a later Mamiya 645 Pro with interchangeable backs in the classifieds. (Oh, and there's a later Mamiya 645 AF with lots of auotmation, metering etc, and the option of an expensive digital back... @robhooley167 has one.) Any of these would be within budget. I don't know much about the Contax 645, but I suspect my eyeballs would fall out when seeing the prices! I ought to know more about the Pentax 645, which I think might be naturally prism vf (@Mr Bump has one?) .

67 is a format that a lot of people like; fairly close to "publication formats" like 8*10 so you don't lose much in cropping. Three obvious choices that I know of, all by Mamiya. But you can rule out the Mamiya 7 straight away as even more expensive than the 6. Then there's the RB67 and the RZ67. These are big and heavy and well-built, we joke that you could hammer a fence post in between shots! I think the difference is that the RB is more mechanical and the RZ more electronic, ie more to fail? The advantage of both is that the backs can be rotated for landscape or portrait, so you can use a WLF. Very good lenses, maybe on the cusp of your budget? Again there's a Pentax 67 I know nothing about (and maybe a 68).

Then 69, getting back to the "full frame" ratio 2:3. Not too many of these beyond the folders, but there is the legendary Fuji "Texas Leica" rangefinder (GW690?) which a few folk on here have had.

I guess 612 and 617 are not of much interest to a portrait photographer!

Apologies if I've got any of that wrong (someone will correct me, no doubt), and I'm sure there are other options in each category (wrong word, it's all more fluid than suggested here).

So, as I see it the choices do stem from how much you like square. Is there a chance you could borrow one to experiment?

Is there a chance you could borrow one to experiment?

I am happy to let you play with the Hasselblad when it's back from repair @Sir SR . I am also happy to let you play with the Contax too, but with a budget of up to £400, I am not responsible if you fall in love with it. Cheaper alternatives are available such as the Pentax 645 or Mamiya 645 of course. :)

You're in Leeds, right? You can take either away for a week or two provided I have no shoots lined up. I can even supply you with some film (Fuji 400H, Delta 100, T-Max 400).

Another suggestion, staying square but with interchangeable lenses, is the Mamiya C330 (or C2, C3, C33, C330, C220 I think???). Lighter than the RB/RZ but with stunningly good lenses, 55mm, 65mm, 80mm, 105mm, 135mm, 180mm and 250mm. The only TLR with a swap out lens system and in mho a bit special.
Mamiya-C330f by Andy, on Flickr

I haven't shot any portraits with it but this as close as I've got. Using the 80mm lens.
GlovesB1-sepia by Andy, on Flickr

Andy

I am happy to let you play with the Hasselblad when it's back from repair @Sir SR . I am also happy to let you play with the Contax too, but with a budget of up to £400, I am not responsible if you fall in love with it. Cheaper alternatives are available such as the Pentax 645 or Mamiya 645 of course. :)

You're in Leeds, right? You can take either away for a week or two provided I have no shoots lined up. I can even supply you with some film (Fuji 400H, Delta 100, T-Max 400).

That is an amazingly generous offer! Thank you!

Another suggestion, staying square but with interchangeable lenses, is the Mamiya C330 (or C2, C3, C33, C330, C220 I think???). Lighter than the RB/RZ but with stunningly good lenses, 55mm, 65mm, 80mm, 105mm, 135mm, 180mm and 250mm. The only TLR with a swap out lens system and in mho a bit special.
Mamiya-C330f by Andy, on Flickr

I haven't shot any portraits with it but this as close as I've got. Using the 80mm lens.
GlovesB1-sepia by Andy, on Flickr

Andy

Was about to make the same point about Mamiya TLR's having interchangable lenses, but you beat me to it. :D Couldn't agree with you more about them being a bit special, I really love (loved..?) my C220

@Sir SR If you're local to Leeds, I can let you have a play with a couple of Mamiya medium formats. I have the venerable RB67 and a 645AFD.

I also have a Fuji GW690, but as it's a rangefinder, it will be of less use to you!

Last edited:
A comparison for you between a mamiya RZ67 Pro II, a mamiya 645 m1000S, a Nikon F5 and my Nikon D810. All have normal "50mm equivalent" FOV lenses
Medium format vs 35mm by Kyle, on Flickr

This is the older 645 1000S against a modern 645AFD
Mamiya 645 Cameras by Kyle, on Flickr

Lenses compared. (again all 50mm and equivalent FOV's)
Normal Lens Comparison by Kyle, on Flickr

As to studio shots, I shot all of these with my old 645 1000S, which is plain old cloth focal plane shutter with 1/60th sync. The newer AF models sync at 1/125s and the 645 leaf shutter lenses sync at 1/500s on the old models. The RZ67 syncs at 1/400 on every lens, but that is also the fastest shutter speed they can do.

Fuji Neopan 400 mono film
Cuppa by Kyle, on Flickr

Jess... by Kyle, on Flickr

Fuji Astia slide film (sadly discontinued)
Jess by Kyle, on Flickr
Jess by Kyle, on Flickr

Last edited:
Just have to say thank you to all on this thread. Having a difficult family time at the mo, and this thread has been a very pleasant and welcome distraction. Also very touched by the generosity of folk on here too. Thank you so much!

Anyway, enough with the soppy b*llocks

I'm pretty sold on getting a film camera but it seems sensible to try one first. So I will, if the offers are still there, take up the offer of a test once stuff has blown over at my end.

On a seperate note, is there a thread for portraits on film/MF film. If there isn't somebody should start one!!

Last edited:
A comparison for you between a mamiya RZ67 Pro II, a mamiya 645 m1000S, a Nikon F5 and my Nikon D810. All have normal "50mm equivalent" FOV lenses
Medium format vs 35mm by Kyle, on Flickr

This is compares the older 645 1000S with a modern 645AFD
Mamiya 645 Cameras by Kyle, on Flickr

Lenses compared. (again all 50mm and equivalent FOV's)
Normal Lens Comparison by Kyle, on Flickr

As to studio shots, I shot all of these with my old 645 1000S, which is plain old cloth focal plane shutter with 1/60th sync. The newer AF models sync at 1/125s and the 645 leaf shutter lenses sync at 1/500s on the old models. The RZ67 syncs at 1/400 on every lens, but that is also the fastest shutter speed they can do.

Fuji Neopan 400 mono film
Cuppa by Kyle, on Flickr

Jess... by Kyle, on Flickr

Fuji Astia slide film (sadly discontinued)
Jess by Kyle, on Flickr
Jess by Kyle, on Flickr

What a wonderful post. This is so helpful and confirms to me that I want to scratch my film itch!!

Do you find a lot less distortion on 50mm equiv fov on MF compared to 50mm on the d810?

On a seperate note, is there a thread for portraits on film/MF film. If there isn't somebody should start one!!

I'd be up for that seeing it's my favourite combination. Film and people.

What a wonderful post. This is so helpful and confirms to me that I want to scratch my film itch!!

Do you find a lot less distortion on 50mm equiv fov on MF compared to 50mm on the d810?
Truth be told, I can't say I've even looked for a difference there. The results look pretty similar, though I do find the bokeh on the medium format lenses to be smoother in most cases, although the mamiya 80/1.9 for 645 can be a tad busy. The longer focal length does seem to produce a slightly different look even though the effective field of view remains the same. I do use a number of the 645 lenses on my 810 as they really are too good not to. The 150mm f2.8 A is my favourite lens on both the mamiya and nikon as it's incredibly sharp and has the creamiest bokeh.

I've never really been a big portrait shooter so can't give you many samples. This is my film album on flickr which has shots from 35mm up to 6x7.

I will say that the RZ67 is without a doubt my favourite among all of the cameras I own as it produces such wonderful images and is a joy to use if a tad heavy. The 645 1000S takes second place and my D810 would take third.

Last edited:
Just have to say thank you to all on this thread. Having a difficult family time at the mo, and this thread has been a very pleasant and welcome distraction. Also very touched by the generosity of folk on here too. Thank you so much!

Anyway, enough with the soppy b*llocks

I'm pretty sold on getting a film camera but it seems sensible to try one first. So I will, if the offers are still there, take up the offer of a test once stuff has blown over at my end.

My offer remains, if you're lucky I might throw in a roll of film and develop it too...

If you're lucky...

Maybe a little late, especially since you're in Yorkshire, but if you happen to be down this way you're welcome to borrow my Bronica ETR (older version of the ETRS) for a bit.

To be honest, I wanted to find portraits on film by members on here and it was a bit tricky! Maybe once I start I'll start one and people can add pics or not!

I think it would be useful for people who like me were thinking about shooting portraits on film.

To be honest, I wanted to find portraits on film by members on here and it was a bit tricky! Maybe once I start I'll start one and people can add pics or not!

I think it would be useful for people who like me were thinking about shooting portraits on film.

Haha good point that. @manda would contribute too i am sure and many other people from the F&C section who have done such things.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/the-portraits-on-film-thread.627690/

Done. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd surely contribute with my 35mm. I've 3 shoots on some film that is about ready to be sent off.

I did a similar journey trawling through the threads to find info and there's longevity to a 'portraits on film'.

I'd hope so, seeing as you're one of the reasons I want to shoot portraits on film!!

Back