The Portraits on Film thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 21335
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21335

As suggested by @Sir SR , a thread where people can add portraits taken on film of various sizes, dimensions, types etc. It could be useful for people wondering about this sort of thing or getting into it to see what other people are doing.

Should there be rules? I am not sure but maybe I will suggest the folllowing as a way of helping people learn.

• One image per post
  • Include film stock, camera and where it was developed/scanned

I only suggest including film stock and dev/scan methods to help people see why things are the way they are, not because gear is important.

I will kick it off with this portrait from the archives of the lovely Zanthy.

Kodak Portra 400 through the Contax 645 - Dev & Scan by UKFilmLab

Zanthy-5.jpg

Very cool thread opening there, Gareth!

Great start Gareth. Again you've ticked one off my bucket list!!

Hopefully others will join in soon, but I'm watching this thread and will add to it once I get a fillum camera!!

I'm not much of a portrait person, but I have a couple...

This one was 35mm, taken on a Nikon F100 and 50mm F1.8. Shot on T-Max 100(no flash), developed and scanned at home.

11928185726_dc3ab56595_b.jpg

This one was shot on a 1920 folder, 6x9. Shot on Delta 400(no flash), home developed and scanned

27503824692_f3beed10f6_b.jpg

This one was 35mm, taken on a Nikon F100 and 50mm F1.8. Shot on T-Max 100(no flash), developed and scanned at home.

This one was shot on a 1920 folder, 6x9. Shot on Delta 400(no flash), home developed and scanned

Love those eyes on the first one [emoji106]

Magic

i'll play
Vancouver late 1970s so prob Canon AE-1

So good!

Glad this thread is making progress already. :)

I'll have a go, though I've shot almost no portraits (and it shows!). This is Peter (IIRC), my first stranger portrait, and my first outing with my then new (to me) Pentax-M 85mm f/2 lens. I met him coming out of Kenilworth Castle, dressed in Morris Dancing regalia but wearing the slouch hat; turns out he was part of a group from New Zealand that had just danced in the castle. We chatted a bit, then I plucked up courage and asked if I could take his picture. It was starting to rain, and I didn't think straight, but he did a great job for me. Could probably have closed down the aperture a bit more, and maybe a reflector would have helped lighten those shadows under his hat (though I didn't have one). Anyway, I was pleased...

Pentax MX, afore-mentioned lens, Kodak BW400CN chromogenic black and white film (no longer available). Almost certainly processed and scanned by Photo Express in Hull.

Yes...one can take selfies with a 35mm SLR. I never tried it. Thought I'd give it a go. In the back yard with rose bushes as backdrop.

Nikon FE with 28mm f/2.8 Nikon E. Kodak Ultramax 400. Scanned by the local processing shop in Merrifield, Virginia, USA (nothing special). Color removed post scan and cropped in PS.

FIlm Selfie 2.jpg

Last edited:
From my latest shoot. Have loads from this one but choosing which to share with the world is always tricky. I am a sucker for shooting into the sun and flare, though.

Kodak Portra 800 - Contax 645 - Dev & Scan UK Film Lab.

home developed and printed, scanned from print and cropped

I don't know about the print version but this one
looks a tad lifeless (dynamically). Have you tried
taming the mid-tones?

I don't know about the print version but this one
looks a tad lifeless (dynamically). Have you tried
taming the mid-tones?

Kodiac, it's not a great scan from the print. What I need to do is find the negative and do a proper scan!

Thanks for taking the time to comment, all critique welcome.

I don't know about the print version but this one looks a tad lifeless (dynamically). Have you tried taming the mid-tones?

Not quite sure what you mean, Qc. Seems to be a terrific range of tones to me, not at all lifeless. An excellent shot, @Jao.

^^^
maybe technically better but - for me - it has lost the sombre brooding atmoshere of the original

One of my very small pool of film portraits.

Rolleicord Mk 6 on Ektar but converted because it looks better. Home devved and scanned.
E100-The-Surgeon3-b&w by Andy, on Flickr

Watching the River Go By. Nikon F100, Nikon 24-85mm f2.8-4, Acros 100.

Distant-Stare by Andy, on Flickr

Loving all the portraits on this thread. Hope west Yorks cameras still has some in stock when I get there at the end of the month!!

It does... but it's actually over the Dee in Chester. :D

I can see my 5D3 getting relegated in favour of my film eos5 at this rate, just glad I bought some decent glass to go on the digital, could be going on the film camera soon.
Fortunately I also have a scanner. After that I guess the Mamiya AF will be dragged out from the back of the wardrobe, AF is a bit slow on that beast though, even if it has got 6 AA's running through it :)
Matt

What's AF? ;)

Edited to add the photo I stuck in Shaheed's thread... a poor photo by conventional standards but it doesn't stop me adoring the look I'm getting from my daughter. I don't care about the rest of it!

Week 51: Extravagant by Paul M, on Flickr

Ilford HP5+ developed by a rubbish mass market place poorly (hence the scratches etc.) Ended up enlarging onto Ilford multigrade 16x12 Glossy for the wall.

Last edited:
Back