Meh - Slate me lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure you'll be very happy with the 24-105L f4 IS it is a very well regarded lens.....well at least until the f2.8 demons start haunting you:naughty:

ah but IS is handy and regarded as an extra stop of light :p

Doesn't give you 2.8 DOF though. Its not all about light.

the 17-55 has IS as well as f2.8 :exit:

Camera demons are easily to deal...its the lens demons that haunt me haha

2.8 DOF isnt all that useful for a portrait where you use apertures of around 8 as you have bright studio lighting so it could be 5.6 for all i needed lol 4 is enough

does jessops finance have any acceptance fees or final payment fees or is what you see what you pay?

17mm its a stupid length .. its not wide enough for a proper landscape

Wow I think I'll go and watch Coranation Street thats a load of bollax too.

I love my 17-40L on either my 40D or 5D2 and believe me it's a damn good lens on both for landscapes.

What you see is what you pay as far as I'm aware. Deposit down at time of ordering then equal payments for 6 or 12 months.

tell you what... i'll swap you a brand new 24-105 for your 7D... (y)

The IS doesn't give an extra stop of light. It isn't going to increase the shutter speed you can shoot at, merely avoid camera shake. If the object isn't static it won't help at all in lower light.

You could always have c1 set to iso800 and f8 and c2 set to f2.8 at iso100 instant dof change at the same lighting.

2.8 DOF isnt all that useful for a portrait where you use apertures of around 8 as you have bright studio lighting so it could be 5.6 for all i needed lol 4 is enough

does jessops finance have any acceptance fees or final payment fees or is what you see what you pay?

Im more of a natural light portrait guy, so tend to shoot f/1.8-f/4
Horses for courses.

Id still rather have a 2.8 lens, just for the odd times you might need it. A 2.8 can do everything an f/4 IS can do. An f/4 IS cant do what a 2.8 does.

Im more of a natural light portrait guy, so tend to shoot f/1.8-f/4
Horses for courses.

Id still rather have a 2.8 lens, just for the odd times you might need it. A 2.8 can do everything an f/4 IS can do. An f/4 IS cant do what a 2.8 does.

Agree with this Danny...this is good advice (y)

Danny if the 50mm was too long will 24mm on a cropped lens still get you what you want? (24x1.6 is 38mm, (approx), much wider I agree, but perhaps for what you want the 17-40/55 may be better?) As for: see other thread there's too many to search through! ;-)

Last edited:
This thread reminds me of that 'Koolpc' guy that changed his camera more than his pants.

This thread reminds me of that 'Koolpc' guy that changed his camera more than his pants.

I had already said this on another one of Danny's threads, but there's so many I can't remember which one! :D

It's also alot more £££

If you mean 24-105 vs 17-55 the latter is cheaper. Im still considering this lens for my kit bag.

Have a read on the digital picture to see their views on in..http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-17-55mm-f-2.8-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx
"Prior to receiving my Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens, I stated that I expected its image quality to match or nearly match that of Canon's L Series Lenses as it shares the L-Series UD lens elements. As it turns out, my 17-55 matches or exceeds the optical performance of my L-Series zooms in this similar focal length range ... "

;)

With all this talk about the high MP sensor of the 7D requiring good glass. How would a Tamron SP 17-50mm f/2.8 fair?

I bought a non-VC version off of MPB in -mint condition for a very good price, so that could be on option?

With all this talk about the high MP sensor of the 7D requiring good glass. How would a Tamron SP 17-50mm f/2.8 fair?

I bought a non-VC version off of MPB in -mint condition for a very good price, so that could be on option?

Yes, that will do fine :D How much did you pay!?

How about throwing an EF-S 15-85mm into the mix? :LOL:

Cheaper than the 24-105L (can be had for under £500 new)......

Or..... grab yourself a nifty fifty for the time being?

Danny, you seem to change your gear more frequently than I change my underwear :)eek:). Is this because you keep finding shortcomings* with your existing kit that you think will be resolved by changing? If so, can you talk us through the shortcomings you've experienced so far and what kit change it was that fixed the problem? This could be a great learning experience for all of us facing similar issues.

* No I don't find any shortcomings in my underpants.

Last edited:
Jesus, you're funny! Who told you the 50 1.4 is crap? It's an excellent lens and a hell of a lot better than no lens! I firmly predict there will be a 7d in the classifieds in a month or two. Why not spend some time working on your technique? :)

If Danny buys the Tamron he'll want the canon 17-55 in a week. Just buy one as there isn't a better lens for a crop.

Jesus, you're funny! Who told you the 50 1.4 is crap? It's an excellent lens and a hell of a lot better than no lens! I firmly predict there will be a 7d in the classifieds in a month or two. Why not spend some time working on your technique? :)

I very much doubt it will be in the classifieds :D

Ok think I will start running a book

Odds for quick transaction to 5D Mkii are 5/4
Odds for quick transaction to 1D Mkiv 5/1

PM me for my paypal and I will hold your bet :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back