MentalBlock's 2011 52 - Week 52 'Glass' added & 52 FINISHED

I'm liking your weave, reminds me of an earth artist I've seen a Leeds Art Gallery and Leeds Art gallery, can't recall his name but he produces some amazing work.

It has quite a romantic feel to it...like two lovers in eternal embrace...I'll get my coat...

It looks equally good in B&W.

I'd like to see a tad more space all around, but especially on the left...so it gives it a feel of the art flowing into the space.

Cheers.

Nice shot Neil...well spotted & fits the theme..possibly a slight blue cast to it ?
...like the spiders web too ...plenty of them about at the mo...except in my garden where they've all vanished....just in time for this weeks theme :bang:

Hiya Neil,

As I mentioned to Kev, I saw your first few posts earlier today on the netbook, but didn't want to leave comment because the image quality on it is poor compared to my big screen at home.

Now that I'm back, I have had another peek at your shots and wow! I have to say I am very impressed!!!

I like both shots for rapid, the glass with the water being poured in gives more of a sense of the motion. The 2nd is great too .... I like this one, although I am also drawn to the blue version.

The spider web is fab, lovely dof and the spider is pin sharp :clap:

The second shot for weave is a fabulous masterpiece of wood work ... I'm not sure about the HDR, but as you pointed out the sun/lighting was not in your favour. It indeed looks like a wave and well spotted! I can imagine this piece has quite a bit of photographic potential .... how about some light painting there :D

Cheers

Dawn :)

Thanks Dawn,

Sadly the wood work is surrounded by a nasty fence which I could just shoot over. The location would be good for light painting though - nice and dark.

Glad you like the others.
The glass shot is still niggling me, but I doubt I'll have time to revisit.

I'm liking your weave, reminds me of an earth artist I've seen a Leeds Art Gallery and Leeds Art gallery, can't recall his name but he produces some amazing work.

It has quite a romantic feel to it...like two lovers in eternal embrace...I'll get my coat...

It looks equally good in B&W.

I'd like to see a tad more space all around, but especially on the left...so it gives it a feel of the art flowing into the space.

Cheers.

As noted above, there is a nasty wood and wire fence around it so a close crop is required. I didn't think about B&W :bang:

Nice shot Neil...well spotted & fits the theme..possibly a slight blue cast to it ?
...like the spiders web too ...plenty of them about at the mo...except in my garden where they've all vanished....just in time for this weeks theme :bang:

Hi Lynne,

Thanks for looking.
Looking back I think you're right about the blue cast.
I recall playing with the blue levels trying to get some interest in the sky, I must have missed what it was doing to the rest of the frame!

Hi

I much prefer the first weave shot!

Really Love your rapid shot. Especially the blue one. Did you use blue food colouring in the water?

I like the first weave, i feel it would have been nicer to see more web in focus though. Spider looks nice and sharp.

The second weave is an interesting subject and nicely exposed (y)

Thanks Joe

The web shot wan't taken for the theme.
When it was taken, I was focusing on the spider not the web so didn't aim to get too much of that in.

Hi

I much prefer the first weave shot!

Really Love your rapid shot. Especially the blue one. Did you use blue food colouring in the water?

Hi Mark,

Not food colouring, colourized it in PS.

Thanks for looking

I enjoyed this week.
It made me look at things differently.

My first idea was from a magazine article.
Basically you take a landscape scene and blur it, which is what I did with the image below.
It's SOOC apart from a rotate. I like the idea but the sky lets it down IMO, not as vibrant as I would have liked.

Week_43_Abstract by HaplessClicker, on Flickr

So, not being 100% happy with it, I took my camera to work and had a walk around Manchester at lunch. Within an hour I had a few shots I was happy with and felt hit the theme.

Brickwork #1

Week_43_Abstract_002_V2 by HaplessClicker, on Flickr

Brickwork #2

Week_43_Abstract_001 by HaplessClicker, on Flickr

Spinningfields #1

Week_43_Abstract_011 by HaplessClicker, on Flickr

Spinningfields #2

Week_43_Abstract_013 by HaplessClicker, on Flickr

Continued.............

Well done u!

Spinning fields #1 has my vote! I love everything about it, from the composition, to the lighting, to the colours... it is very ME!!!

Hi Neil, a great set of pictures for abstract, I think number 1 would work well with the sky cropped out, I like the colours in there.
I prefer number 2 of both the brickwork and spinningfields as I prefer the angle of view on both of these. The shells are a little dark, which leaves my fave of them, the kiwi fruit, nice composition and love the colours.

Hi, there, wel you've been a busy chap, have't you (y)

I've thought and thought and thought about this theme and head hurts.

We all appear to have our own definitions, which I've eluded to elsewhere, and I'm not going to apply my thoughts to your abstract. I'll just view as photograph and comment.

#1, quite like this one, just the white space on the right, seems a bit :thinking: to me. I wonder if a border would 'contain' the photograph.

#2, 3 and 4 are well composed, and minimal, but don't hold me.

#5, I like. It has an almost Star Wars feel to it. Nice reflections and well composed.

#6...kiwi...well lit but...:shrug:

#7, very, very nice. Moody, well lit, well composed. Great detail. Bit close to the right for me. Abstract?

#8, as above but not as good.

I'd like to sopend more time but at work and home life's a bit :puke:

Cheers.

Well done u!

Spinning fields #1 has my vote! I love everything about it, from the composition, to the lighting, to the colours... it is very ME!!!

Thanks Dawn,
From my understanding of Abstract I think this is closer to the brief than the rest.

Hi Neil, a great set of pictures for abstract, I think number 1 would work well with the sky cropped out, I like the colours in there.
I prefer number 2 of both the brickwork and spinningfields as I prefer the angle of view on both of these. The shells are a little dark, which leaves my fave of them, the kiwi fruit, nice composition and love the colours.

Ye, I like the colour of the kiwi, which is SOOC!

My vote as the image that has successfully fulfilled the Abstract brief is Spinningfields #1 (y)

Cracking picture :clap:

Thanks Tina, totally agree about it fulfilling the brief.

Hi, there, wel you've been a busy chap, have't you (y)

I've thought and thought and thought about this theme and head hurts.

We all appear to have our own definitions, which I've eluded to elsewhere, and I'm not going to apply my thoughts to your abstract. I'll just view as photograph and comment.

#1, quite like this one, just the white space on the right, seems a bit :thinking: to me. I wonder if a border would 'contain' the photograph.

#2, 3 and 4 are well composed, and minimal, but don't hold me.

#5, I like. It has an almost Star Wars feel to it. Nice reflections and well composed.

#6...kiwi...well lit but...:shrug:

#7, very, very nice. Moody, well lit, well composed. Great detail. Bit close to the right for me. Abstract?

#8, as above but not as good.

I'd like to sopend more time but at work and home life's a bit :puke:

Cheers.

Hi Andy,

My understanding of the term Abstract, in the sence of a photo that is abstract, came from the Abstract flickr group.

Brick work 2 or any of the spinningfields for me mate.

I really like what you've done with the theme! Nice one!

Thanks Joe

My vote is on the kiwi close up.... Others don't do anything for me...

Thanks Kev

Thanks for all the comments.
I liked the theme this week and think I will be looking further into this abstract photography thing more once the 52 is over.

Not quite what my mind was visualising, but not enough flash units to achieve the Adie style lighting I had in my mind, harassed by children so I didn't do the smoke for the bar feel, and no willing models for the players. All considered I had to go for a closer composition than I pictured.

Week 44 - Pair by HaplessClicker, on Flickr

My next investment is going to be a set of gels.
One flash wasn't enough to get the lighting I wanted and the combination of flash and dining room lights didn't give the correct WB.
A little play in PS has got the worst of the WB issue sorted though.

Thanks for looking and feel free to CC

Hi Neil, I quite like this one, the crop works well, and I like the idea of the cards. Fits the theme very well indeed. Considering the limitations you had you have done well.

You have got me thinking about flashguns, I have been considering buying a Nissin di866, but your points of needing more light, may well push me to buy 2 lower units, once I have saved up.

Hi, Neil, as a poker player and photographer, this, for me, is the best you've done so far...(y)

The composition is great. Lighting is great. DOF is just right. The chips aren't nice and tidy. WB in the cards is great.

My only issue, photographly, if I were being finickety is the glass...can't make up my mind whether I'd like to see a tad more of the good stuff....

From a poker perspective...where's the flop?? I guess is might have distracted??

Overall, you should be well happy with this one.

Cheers.

young neil..you have excelled yourself here... love the set up. the glass..the chips.. the DOF across the table...... shame i had a full house, all numbers covered... and the assistant has checked my card... :p ... too bad

i guess my only fault would be... it looks slightly stark... you used flash and it...muted it ...don't know...maybe its the reflection in the glass..

Hi Neil, I quite like this one, the crop works well, and I like the idea of the cards. Fits the theme very well indeed. Considering the limitations you had you have done well.

You have got me thinking about flashguns, I have been considering buying a Nissin di866, but your points of needing more light, may well push me to buy 2 lower units, once I have saved up.

Glad you like it Michael,
As for the flash, I've got the Yngnou 560. It's not TTL, but at £65 is does al I need. I'm now looking at getting an old second hand unit purely for off camera.

Hi, Neil, as a poker player and photographer, this, for me, is the best you've done so far...(y)

The composition is great. Lighting is great. DOF is just right. The chips aren't nice and tidy. WB in the cards is great.

My only issue, photographly, if I were being finickety is the glass...can't make up my mind whether I'd like to see a tad more of the good stuff....

From a poker perspective...where's the flop?? I guess is might have distracted??

Overall, you should be well happy with this one.

Cheers.

I thought you may have liked the shoes I did early on in the year :LOL:

I'm glad you like it.
As I said in my post, it's not what was in my head, but I still like it all the same. I'm not sure if flickr is playing tricks, but it looks a little darker as I look at it now.

The glass shouldn't be too full for a spirit, but I guess it could have had a little more in it.

The flop, is that the discarded cards or the bit in 7 card stud?
I did have a pile of discarded cards, but the they looked distracting at this low angle as you couldn't make out what they were.

young neil..you have excelled yourself here... love the set up. the glass..the chips.. the DOF across the table...... shame i had a full house, all numbers covered... and the assistant has checked my card... :p ... too bad

i guess my only fault would be... it looks slightly stark... you used flash and it...muted it ...don't know...maybe its the reflection in the glass..

Thanks Kev,
It really needed at least two flash units to get the WB correct and to give depth and contrast with different flash levels. Hopefully Santa has got my letter by now and knows what to get me

Mentalblock said:
Hopefully Santa has got my letter by now and knows what to get me

Neil....after that photo you posted in the challenge thread.... I think Santa has transferred your name to THE other list...

Hi Neil

crikey...you have been busy with abstract...& produced a great series of images all of which fit the brief in my eyes (y)

Spinningfields #1.....ties for :1st:...love the angle , the symetry & that georgous sky :clap:

Joint 1st place for me is the landscape....lose the righthand side & it'll work even better ( OMO) ...has a water painting feel to it...works brilliantly :clap:

I like the lighting in Shell 2 but the angle in shell 1....can you combine the 2 ?:LOL:

The Kiwi fruit detail is spot on , poss a little dark to the left...but you've managed to capture the moisture of the fruit without any highlights & the detail in the seeds....:clap:

Pair...liking the different take on the theme...great imagination mister (y) I also suffer with shots that look far better in my head :LOL: Like that your eye is drawn to the cards , the use of DOF...nice work mister (y)

Neil....just reflecting on your shot...you making reference to a couple old queens??? Lol!!!! I think the shot is too low as well... Just an idea

Neil this is a great take on 'Pair' (y)

I see nothing wrong, lighting ensures we concentrate on the hand, the dof reinforces that but the wider image indicates the context - brilliant :clap:

Hi Tina,

Thanks for the comments.
More flash units, more space, and people to pose and I could have realised the image in my head.

Neil....after that photo you posted in the challenge thread.... I think Santa has transferred your name to THE other list...

Wait until you see me in my Miss Santa outfit!!

Hi Neil

crikey...you have been busy with abstract...& produced a great series of images all of which fit the brief in my eyes (y)

Spinningfields #1.....ties for :1st:...love the angle , the symetry & that georgous sky :clap:

Joint 1st place for me is the landscape....lose the righthand side & it'll work even better ( OMO) ...has a water painting feel to it...works brilliantly :clap:

I like the lighting in Shell 2 but the angle in shell 1....can you combine the 2 ?:LOL:

The Kiwi fruit detail is spot on , poss a little dark to the left...but you've managed to capture the moisture of the fruit without any highlights & the detail in the seeds....:clap:

Pair...liking the different take on the theme...great imagination mister (y) I also suffer with shots that look far better in my head :LOL: Like that your eye is drawn to the cards , the use of DOF...nice work mister (y)

Thanks

I enjoyed Abstract, it's something I'll be thinking a lot more of when out with the camera.

Nice capture for pair. I think the darkness is spot on for me. Conveys a poker room well.

Nice composition too.

Thanks Joe.

Neil....just reflecting on your shot...you making reference to a couple old queens??? Lol!!!! I think the shot is too low as well... Just an idea

I was picturing something higher in my mind, but I favoured this angle in the end.

Thanks for the comments everyone.
Time to add my Safe and an NSFW tag!!

Blimey, 7 weeks left.
Which the wife is very pleased with considering what I've asked of her for this weeks theme!

Week 45 Safe-015 by HaplessClicker, on Flickr

Struggled again with lighting this week.
The shot needed a second flash for the two parts of the image.

So, one snooted strobe from high level and to camera right, pointed at the bra as that was the main image.
A little play in levels and selective colour on the bra to try and keep you all looking there rather than at my hairy back!

This is a crop of the same image which I like.

Week 45 Safe-015 Crop by HaplessClicker, on Flickr

Just in case you don't see it, my take on the theme is 'safe sex'.
So far, this is week has probably been the most enjoyable :naughty:

Yip, nice one there.

Hard work being a togger :clap:

Great depth, great SC and nice placement of the props....

Part of the sheet look a tad over exposed/bright to me and have lost some detail.

Cheers.

:LOL:

Nice effort mate. At first I thought you were messing, but looking closely it's a great shot. The DOF looks perfect, and although a touch too bright for me, I think the lighting works well.

It's sort of like an advert. Nice one (y)

neil..i can't play devils advocate on this one..i'll say it as it is for me.. it didn't say safe to me..more so it seemed to suggest something was deflated and limp. :shrug:

lets take the scene apart .. the white sheet.. the red bra.. the wrapper (which i didn't see clearly on my phone (must be the catholic in me)) ... it was all very contrived into sucha small area? the bra has no form so is as shrivelled as the wrapper contents :thinking:

..once i had read your type about the first pic, yes... young neil.. get the missus to at least wax your models back...

:( your whole scene does not feel s3xy nor safe ... i think you'd have been better with you two on the sofa blurred out by obvious.. and a handbag open or contents spilled... come neil..!!

Neil,

Great take on Pair. Can’t go wrong with a pair of ladies!!!;)
My only minor niggles are:
Left hand crop just clipping the blue chips.
Right hand crop cutting through the knuckles
And it’s under exposed. I think a slight levels adjustment in PP to make the cards white will be all that is needed.
Other than that, it works for me :clap:

Safe, well I must admit I thought about a theme like this too, well one involving a condom anyway, but switched ideas yesterday.. I’m glad I did, or we would have had the same idea two weeks running LOL
I like the idea, but not the composition. The condom wrapper is too small in the scene, and the bra seems, well, on its own. I think the central part of the theme is the condom, the safe part, and that just needs to be bigger (no pun intended) in the scene.
I’m sure if there is a reshoot, you might enjoy doing this one again LOL :naughty:
Maybe have the wrapper nearer the lens and the lens a lot lower down, this would lose the empty expanse of bed between the bra and you pair, and open up the lens to through your guys OOF. Just an idea.

Happy shooting,

Adie

Back