Merchantmen

• Thread starter Deleted member 97051
  • Start date
When we had a merchant marine. I love reading autobiographies of the old mariners from the 20s thru 70s, especially those of radio officers - now a lost profession since GMDSS and satcom.

I can't find any information about this image?

Rope splicing by the look of it and cant make out if that is a serving mallet on the deck or a chipping hammer.Done a fair bit of bothe in years gone by.
Love this one.

This prompted me to dig out my old Red ID card and a couple of Dis Books. AHHH great days eh EX Vindi Boy.

When we had a merchant marine. I love reading autobiographies of the old mariners from the 20s thru 70s, especially those of radio officers - now a lost profession since GMDSS and satcom.
I did nine years as a Lecky (Electrical Officer) on tankers between 1968 and 1977. If ever I got around to writing mine most people would think it was fiction and the H&S brigade would need counselling. :D

Ha Ha yes some of the situations that we got involved in are deffinatly unprintable. Did the gulf run a cpl times with Esso centre castle jobs.But mainly on Tramps shipping out of newcastle and a cpl of old colliers. Last one was under panamanian flag. Great times and the best of mates.

My uncle did the Russian convoys. His stories of de-icing and the Captain's tea getting cold are legendary in the family! Watching ships around you just disappearing into the freezing waters must have been hellish!

My uncle did the Russian convoys. His stories of de-icing and the Captain's tea getting cold are legendary in the family! Watching ships around you just disappearing into the freezing waters must have been hellish!
During my dockyard apprenticeship in the 1960's one of the tradesmen, ex RN Chief Petty Officer, told me about the three round trips he did on destroyers. Yes it was hellish, depending on the time of year, if your ship was sunk the survival time in the water was between 5 and 15 minutes.

Back