Message in viewfinder

Name
Liam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
I just have a quick one to ask if anyone can advise me,
I have just received my Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 Art,
I have tested it out earlier today and I have noticed in the camera viewfinder ( Nikon D7500 )
That the lines light up red and a message in the bottom right corner that says Flicker,
It does this when I’m press to focus ( back button )
I tried out a couple more lenses too and it seems to be present on them also,
This hasn’t happened before to me,
Hence why I’m stuck for an answer,
As always appreciate any help,
Thanks in advance.

Are you looking through the viewfinder inside?

Have you tried doing the same outside in normal natural light? - Does it still happen?

Im guessing it is to do with artificial or flickering lights? You will probably have to go though the menu and turn something on which helps the camera deal with the flicker.

I dont think my D5500 has that feature though!

Remember if you do turn something on in the menu, turn it off afterwards!

Last edited:
Not sure about D7500 but on the D500 the flicker indicator is just letting you know that it detects a flickering light source. You can turn the flicker reduction, and warning indicator, on or off in the shooting menu. Would assume the D7500 is the same but probably best to check your manual.

Thanks, yeah I have tried it indoors and outdoors and it’s still saying it,
I did have a quick scroll through the menus and found a flicker reduction setting,
I didn’t touch it until I got some more feedback on it,
Maybe this should be disabled and it’ll stop,
Not quite sure what the feature entails,
I’ve never had it happen before and I’ve had the camera since December,
Maybe I’ve mis pressed something to cause it I’m not sure,
Could be the lens I’ve just got as it’s never done it before on my others,
Saying that, it’s doing it on them all now anyway,
More investigation is required,
Thanks Again

Last edited:
It might be worth resetting the camera then repeating the experiment with a lens that used to work and then the Simga. Preferably in both sunlight and artificial (florescent) lighting.

There are two options in the menu... 'Flicker reduction setting' and 'Flicker reduction indicator'. Ensure both are on before making any comparisons.

If the 'FLICKER' icon appears only when the Sigma lens is attached, it may be a firmware issue with the lens.

Ok great, so I’m guessing if it still does it with the sigma after a reset etc..
Then I need to buy the sigma usb Dock to fix it,
I don’t mind buying the usb Dock if it’ll fix it and I will get future use from it
Cheers

Back