Metabones adaptors and Olympus

Name
Linda
Edit My Images
No
I was at Slimbridge this afternoon and started chatting with another photographer who had an Oly EM1X, with a metabones adaptor on a Canon 100-400ii lens. He said it worked really well, gave him great reach but then mentioned that other combinations of Canon lens didn't work so well. He wonder if this was because of the double processor. I am wondering if this adaptor would work well with my EM1 ii.

Does anybody know? It's rather too expensive I am told to buy on a 'maybe'.

unless you have "decent " canon glass lying around doing nothing then personally I would give it a miss .. have you looked at using Olympus four thirds pro lenses via a adapter very cheap way into decent glass on the oly MKii.
I now have a MMF3 adaptor , a 50-200swd lens a EC-14 tc and a 12-60 f 2.8 that lot cost me under £500 and gives super results

I bought a relatively cheap Canon-MFT adaptor (not Metabones) second hand on here just to see if it was any good with my EM5ii. It seems OK with Canon lenses but my one canon fit Tamron won't AF at all with it.

The other thing is that Canon glass on the EM5 eats the battery in no time, and I mean like 20-40 shots instead of hundreds, I guess because the the lens is bigger and heavier and needs more juice to drive the AF motor but it could also just be that the adaptor is not as efficient as it might be though.

Funnily enough I offered this on here

Metabones

but ended up selling it on Gumtree and received an email from the buyer that she was really pleased with it and it worked really well with her wildlife photography?

I do have "decent" Canon lenses and he said he had really good results. So is there anybody out there who puts a Metabones Canon to Oly Em1Mk2 using 'L'l glass?

Well, I guess if the answer is nobody, then it probably doesn't work. Hey ho.

I have the Metabones Speedbooster which I use on my EM1 Mk1 and GH3. Most of my Canon lenses are third party, some lenses work very well indeed, others less so and a couple not all all. My Sigma 70-200 F2.8 is excellent on both cameras; focus is fast and accurate and the lens OS works on either camera. However, the Olympus IBIS works better so I turn off the OS when using this camera. My Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 focuses more slowly and at times, the focus isn't as accurate on M43 cameras. My Tamron 90mm Macro will not focus at all with the Speedbooster. The Tamron 70-300 also works well.
A list of lenses was on the Metabones site which listed lenses which were known to work well. Otherwise, a Google search will bring up opinions on the usability of other lenses. When it works, it works really well and the circa 1 extra stop of light is very useful. My Sigma 70-200mm is transformed into a 99-284mm F2 lens.

I had the Metabones Speedbooster Ultra canon to MFT single af was ok but CAF was very poor on my 100/400 mk II 400DO mkII 600F4 mkII - OMD mkII EM1X cameras on BIF it just could not keep up.
Rob.

Back