metering aircraft

RKC

Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
what settings does anyone use when doing flying aircraft, if i can i always keep the sun over my shoulder, but the metering i am not sure which is best

some of my observations, and after checking the manual

1.evaluate can sometinme leave the aircraft underexsposed
2.spot metering can blow out the sky
3.partial never tried
4.centre weighted never tried

anyone got any tried and trusted metering choice

many thaqnks Bob

i use centre weighted with +1/3rd to +2/4rds exp comp depending on the conditions...

I almost always meter manually off the tarmac or grass and then tweak the exposure based on the histogram

I almost always meter manually off the tarmac or grass and then tweak the exposure based on the histogram

Meter off the tarmac or grass? For flying planes?

I nearly always use centre weighted, can make the sky blow if the plane has been painted in dark colours though...

JB

Meter off the tarmac or grass? For flying planes?

JB

Yep, grey tarmac or grass won't be far off a midtone. Set the aperture and shutter speed manually, take a test shot and adjust accordingly and you're set, until the light changes noticeably.

grass, tarmac never tried that on flight photography, used it before on landscape :bonk:
thank all for input

grass, tarmac never tried that on flight photography, used it before on landscape :bonk:
thank all for input

That's a common technique but it doesn't really matter how you meter it, so long as it's right (use LCD/histogram etc).

The important thing is to then lock it in manual because the meter is liable to go all over the place with different planes at different distances in an auto mode, even though the exposure should remain the same - until the light changes, as said above.

Back