Mic choice.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Hello all.

I have a V1 and am starting to enjoy using the HD video function.

I was thinking of getting a Zoom H1 and a shock mount to use as a external mic plugged straight into the V1 is this a bad idea?

Or would i be better just getting a shotgun Mic?

I would like it to be able to record bands and also some amateur film work and of course everyday family videos.

Thank you for any advice.(y)

Hello all.

I have a V1 and am starting to enjoy using the HD video function.

I was thinking of getting a Zoom H1 and a shock mount to use as a external mic plugged straight into the V1 is this a bad idea?

Or would i be better just getting a shotgun Mic?

I would like it to be able to record bands and also some amateur film work and of course everyday family videos.

Thank you for any advice.(y)

Shotgun mics require accurate pointing and aren't great indoors.

You'd need to get the zoom close. Are you thinking of using a boom pole?

Thanks for the reply st.

I will not be using a boom mike when i film friends bands, but i will be in front and maybe 10-20 feet away.

You said you would have to get the zoom close has it a limited pick up range?

My other option is to buy a cheap Chinese stereo mic and experiment.

Thanks again for the reply.(y)

I use a Zoom H1 with Rode Video mic for general audio. I can usually get good results with this combination. For interviews I use a Sony lavalier mic.

Sounds interesting I was just going to use the zoom .
Do u connect the rode into the zoom then into the cam or do you sync the sound to the video later?

Interesting idea will have to look into it.

Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the reply st.

I will not be using a boom mike when i film friends bands, but i will be in front and maybe 10-20 feet away.

You said you would have to get the zoom close has it a limited pick up range?

My other option is to buy a cheap Chinese stereo mic and experiment.

Thanks again for the reply.(y)

You may get decent results doing that, however:
  • The more gain you use, the more noide there will be
  • You're stuck with the audio "mix" recorded by the zoom - you can't change the relative levels of instruments and vocals afterwards
  • The further fro the band the lower the signal and the higher the relative level of the room reverberations/echoes/acoustics

You'd have to experiment with placement to see if it would work. If you have XLR in, can you not ask for a feed from the sound-desk of the venue and record that plus built in mics? (you will need to align the mics and XLR recordings in Audacity or similar as there will be a noticeable delay between them)

For microphones, I'd look at a hyper-cardioid or cardioid if you can check sound levels or a dynamic microphone as it shouldn't overload. An interference-tube (aka "Shotgun") microphone needs to be aimed very accurately and if placed near a wall or ceiling will start to distort slightly as the interference pattern changes.

For interviews, grab a lavalier - even an Acoustic Research lav and Rode 35mm to XLR adaptor will increase the quality of speech immensely.

Sounds interesting I was just going to use the zoom .
Do u connect the rode into the zoom then into the cam or do you sync the sound to the video later?

Interesting idea will have to look into it.

Thanks for the reply

I connect the Rode into the Zoom and then sync in post. When I've shot bands they have not required audio from me, they usually just use my audio track as a reference to sync to and they record an audio output from the mixing desk.

Thank you for the replies.
this is not going to be as easy as i thought it was.

You have all given me a lot to think about a full weekend of research coming up.

thanks again (y)

The Zoom H1 doesn't have a shock mount and for that reason tends to pick up vibrational sounds. It'll even pick up slight movement in your hand. You have to hold it quiet still. It may also pick up sounds when mounted on your camera. The Rode on the other hand has a shock mount and works quiet when mounted on a camera. I've used the Rode via the H1 as well and it does a great job.

Thanks Chappers for the info, i am going to have a look at both at the weekend.

C(y)heers

I have a Nikon V1 and a Zoom H1 (with lav mic when required). I have tended to have the Zoom to record the audio and then use the headphone/aux socket of the Zoom to go into the mic input of the V1, as it makes it easier to sync the audio later. I've not used a shockmount however - I've tended to have the Zoom on a Gorillapod, as it's all been static work.

The Zoom H1 has other benefits too - it works as a USB microphone straight into your computer (or iPad, with a powered USB hub), which I've found pretty useful.

I have a Nikon V1 and a Zoom H1 (with lav mic when required). I have tended to have the Zoom to record the audio and then use the headphone/aux socket of the Zoom to go into the mic input of the V1, as it makes it easier to sync the audio later. I've not used a shockmount however - I've tended to have the Zoom on a Gorillapod, as it's all been static work.

The Zoom H1 has other benefits too - it works as a USB microphone straight into your computer (or iPad, with a powered USB hub), which I've found pretty useful.

Thanks for the info.

I have worked out i wont have enough money at the moment to do it the way you do as i am still after a flash for the V1.

I have just watched a you tube Video where the chap is using a cheap Chinese mike, but to improve the sound quality he added a £10 headphone amp so he could use the min gain on the camera and thus reduce the background hiss and improve the sound quality.

So for a total cost of £27.00 he has greatly improved on the in camera sound, well in my novice opinion :>).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ciTVl_Okag

So i think i would like to try this method first and get a H1 at a later date.

Again thank you for your advice.(y)

Big thumbs up for that headphone amp, I've got one on my shotgun mic to cut the annoying hiss out from the background. Works brilliantly.

Big thumbs up for that headphone amp, I've got one on my shotgun mic to cut the annoying hiss out from the background. Works brilliantly.

Thanks Dave.
Yeah i have seen quite a few vids now doing the same so i am going to order this weekend.

I am going to get the fiio e5 it has a on off switch and volume control and it only cost a bit more than the e3 that is now discontinued.

Thanks again for the post.

Back