Micro 4/3rds Owners Thread

from the designers:
The pinhole is so small that dust getting in is not a big problem, though the nature of pinhole photography does show off any dust already on the sensor. However, we're working on custom software to help automatically remove dust spots.

. . . dust getting in is not a big problem . . . That looks like a negative statement to me???

CJS

. . . dust getting in is not a big problem . . . That looks like a negative statement to me???

CJS

Point 1) Not really. Hole too small for ingress of dust to be an issue.
Point 2) Existing dust on the sensor is more likely to show on pinhole images therefore they're working on software which mitigates this problem.

Mmm . . . stand back and watch with interest and a little 'willing to be wrong' type scepticism . . . ?

You've far more chance of dust getting in when changing lenses than using a pinhole. Dust isn't self propelled so if there's no air movement as under normal conditions there wouldn't be through the pinhole, how would dust get through?

I quite like this. I don't normally do anything like this and I certainly wouldn't have taken this with a DSLR.

It would have been a better shot if the dangly thing hadn't been down her face but the shot is what it is.

st.jpg

I definitely need another dslr just wish I could decide which one:bang:

Have you looked at the Nikon D5000? Same sensor as D90 and I'm really happy with mine. I like it more than all the canon's I had. There is also the D90 and new D3100 which has a glowing review in this weeks Amateur Photographer mag! At least the D3100 & D5000 won't brake the bank!

My apologies if this has been posted already, had a quick flick through the last couple of pages but couldn't see it:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/panasonic_gh2_first_look.shtml

These are a first look at the GH2, the 100-300mm and the 14mm lens. I've ordered a 14mm lens for the GF1 which normally just has the 20mm stuck to it as I don't think it's well suited to the zoom lenses, the little 14mm will be an ideal alternative for a compact wide angle lens. I do like the look of the 100-300mm as I tend to find myself either going wide with the 7-14mm or shooting at the far end of the 14-140mm when out walking so the 100-300mm would fit in well. However I think it's going to need good light so may not buy one until next year as I'm not using the GH1 much at the moment with the light often being poor.

I'm disappointed the GH2 uses a different battery as it's very handy that the GF1 and GH1 can share at the moment, the first look is certainly very glowing which may make it a tough camera to resist. Having said that I've never had an issue with GH1 video as I'm more of a stills person with video on the side, many of the bigger advantages with the GH2 seem to be the video improvements.

John

Have you looked at the Nikon D5000? Same sensor as D90 and I'm really happy with mine. I like it more than all the canon's I had. There is also the D90 and new D3100 which has a glowing review in this weeks Amateur Photographer mag! At least the D3100 & D5000 won't brake the bank!

Thanks Andy, I have read all the reviews for all 3 cameras you mention.

To be honest I am steering towards the models in this price bracket - I have enough money for a D3s and a lens or 2, but knowing me I will be twitchy after 5 minutes of not using it and look to sell it all again due to the amount of money tied up.

My upper limit in reality is probably D7000/7D - enough camera without spending megabucks and feeling guilty if it doesn't get used for a week or three :wacky:

They seem to be raving about the G2 on Luminous Landscape.

Alan, no offence but I think you're mad.

All this buying and selling must be costing you money. Why not just buy something and stick with it even if you don't use it for months on end? If you don't sell it at least it'll be there in the bottom of the cupboard if you want to use it.

All this buying and selling must be costing you money. Why not just buy something and stick with it even if you don't use it for months on end? If you don't sell it at least it'll be there in the bottom of the cupboard if you want to use it.

Now what fun is he going to get out of that Woof woof:LOL:

I think it's just because I get "more careful" with money as I age.

No offence taken - I totally agree. That is why I am spending even longer than usual deliberating - the longer it goes on the cheaper the dslr's on my shortlist are getting !!

With hindsight I would have never sold the 7D for that very reason :help:

CJS

If you don't want to get dust on the sensor there is a simple solution. Never change the lens ;)

Our poor kitten died a few days ago, way too young. We decided to go to the local rescue shelter and see who needed a new home.

We found these two characters that had both been dumped:

Marmalade
5133804538_a248954e38_b.jpg

Biscuit
5133204673_1e67eed745_b.jpg

Both taken with the E-P1 and processed in my usual fashion :)

If you don't want to get dust on the sensor there is a simple solution. Never change the lens ;)

Funny you should say that Juno, these days, I find the 14-45 meets all my needs . . . and in the case of my DSLR, its the superb Nikon 18-70. (y)

CJS

got my Olympus MMF1 today (£79.99 brand new boxed bargain).. got to test it for 1/2 hr before the missus made me put it away for crimbo :shrug:

I am well impressed at how quick it AF's, mainly got it for my 25mm pancake but I couldnt believe how usable it was with the 40-150 (albeit a little weird looking)..

again, well chuffed

got my Olympus MMF1 today (£79.99 brand new boxed bargain).. got to test it for 1/2 hr before the missus made me put it away for crimbo :shrug:

I am well impressed at how quick it AF's, mainly got it for my 25mm pancake but I couldnt believe how usable it was with the 40-150 (albeit a little weird looking)..

again, well chuffed

That is a bargain, where was it from and was it second hand?

John

Yes, you can clearly read but so can I hence I wondered if they were referring to the condition of the adapter rather than whether it was second hand or not as that's half the RRP. The person also mentioned 'boxed' which would be expected of a brand new item but not necessarily a second hand one.

John

Hiya

count me in as a new member of the M4/3 club

Picked up a new Olympus PEN Mini E-PM1

Traded one of my D90's for it (y)

Congrats - and well done for resurrecting this old thread (y)

No worries (y)

First real test outdoors, unfortunately became nothing more than a damp squib when it absolutely tipped it down.

Olytestframe2oudoors_zps3c1e1fa2.jpg

fairly impressed with the kit lens, however I am looking for a wide "pancake" lens, which will make this unit even smaller.

:)

Hiya

count me in as a new member of the M4/3 club

Picked up a new Olympus PEN Mini E-PM1

Traded one of my D90's for it (y)

Me too... Bought the E-PM1 in 2013 with the dual kit lenses to get me started in the system. Since then I added an E-M10 and a bunch of primes
Small Kit by Luc More, sur Flickr

so I'm now selling my DSLR equipment.... Except an Olympus E-510 with a bagful of lenses and a flash. I think I can at least reuse the flash and lenses on my smaller cameras. Waiting for the delivery of the FT to mFT adapter anytime now...

Last edited:
I'm selling my m43 kit as it happens. G3, 20mm and 14-45. Was toying with getting an EM-1 for its physical controls but that kin of defeated the object of a compact system.

I'm selling my m43 kit as it happens. G3, 20mm and 14-45. Was toying with getting an EM-1 for its physical controls but that kin of defeated the object of a compact system.

Physical controls?

It's a long time since I handled a G3 and I've never handled an EM-1 but looking at Compact Camera Meter there doesn't seem to be a massive difference in bulk between the two. The Oly is s touch bigger but it's not DSLR bulk or anything like it.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#185,482,99,ha,t

I bought a 12-35mm f2.8 earlier this year, it's very good and quite compact if you compare it to a 24-70mm FF lens, even a f3.5-5.6 FF lens.

However, I think that the beauty of MFT is in the compact nature and that's at it's best with a compact body and lens so for me the 12-35mm is only for special occasions and when I want more compactness I use a prime or the prime sized 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 kit zoom which is sharp wide open.

It's all relative, surely ? Em1 + 40-150 pro weighs under 1.25 kgs, which is less than a canon 70-200 2.8 lens - let alone adding the body which takes it to over 2kg. A d750 + 70-200 is almost 2.4kg, about 100g more than a7200 with 70-200.

So we're talking around 1kg in weigh before the size difference

If you want a compact, why not get an rx100 / lx100 ?

I got out my last remaining Canon last week, I needed to talk my grand daughter in SA through some settings.
Also took a few shots just to see that it was working OK.

Compared to the G9, it feels huge and seems weighs a ton, even though the G9 is relatively large.

But there is something about the clatter of the mirror and the lack of EVF with all the information that gives it a definite retro feel.

Back