Micro 4/3rds Owners Thread

Well, I could see the little statue I was shooting with the naked eye quite well and I could also see it through the 28mm on my T90 and I could focus well enough using the split/prism viewfinder. The G2 of course magnified the image in an attempt to help lol but was just a load of brown pixels. Thinking about it now I could have attempted focus without the magnification, shot, checked and adjusted until I got it right. Anyway, I'm generally delighted with this camera. I have an FD adapter on the way now.

Any recs for a viewfinder for the Pen 1?

Doesn't have to be Olympus.

Any recs for a viewfinder for the Pen 1?

Doesn't have to be Olympus.

At the last count??? there wasn't one . . . worth having that is! Perhaps things have changed recently on the Pen front . . . ? I know the plug in EVF for the GF1 is poor . . . by comparison to the G1 . . . ;) And the price . . . :bang:

You want a decent EVF 'and'!!! a decent swivel screen for those difficult angles 'and'!!! something to get hold of . . . :naughty: its G1/G2 . . . (y)

CJS

Well, I could see the little statue I was shooting with the naked eye quite well and I could also see it through the 28mm on my T90 and I could focus well enough using the split/prism viewfinder. The G2 of course magnified the image in an attempt to help lol but was just a load of brown pixels. Thinking about it now I could have attempted focus without the magnification, shot, checked and adjusted until I got it right. Anyway, I'm generally delighted with this camera. I have an FD adapter on the way now.

I wonder if you have the EVF brightness adjusted 'up' in the menu? I think the MF assist function does not help in poor light. I switched the camera this morning to 'M' function and the EVF jumped into a very much lighter mode? Still got to work out what was happening, wast of time 'trying to find anything in the destruction book' . . . :thumbsdown:

I'm still feeling my way around the G1, slow on the uptake me :wacky: . . . ? but I get there . . . :clap: eventually ;)

CJS

Last edited:
... and here:
http://www.seriouscompacts.com/f41/mirrorless-camera-standard-zoom-shootout-impressions-558/

That will get a few 'M4/3' users scratching the head and may be chewing the fat . . . :thinking:

CJS
The examples in that second link of yours shows what a good kit lens the 14-45 is. It's also the reason I sold my 20mm F1.7 - I didn't find it that much better than the 14-45 @ 20mm to warrant carrying it and the associated hassle of swapping lenses when you want a longer, or shorter focal length.

Paul :cool:

and the associated hassle of swapping lenses when you want a longer, or shorter focal length.

I've given up on that all together, once you get used to it it's easy to use the 20mm as a 'fits all' kind of lens. You just have to think a little more creative when setting up a shot.

Obviously there are some things I wouldn't recomend it for but as I don't shoot them it doesn't bother me.

One lens is all I need...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have squint her #1
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?p=255825&posted=1#post255825

and here:
http://www.seriouscompacts.com/f41/mirrorless-camera-standard-zoom-shootout-impressions-558/

That will get a few 'M4/3' users scratching the head and may be chewing the fat . . . :thinking:

CJS
I'm new to micro 4/3rds so probably missing the point! From the sample images in that test though I concluded that, to my eye, the panasonic lenses produced better photos than the others and that the 14-42 and 14-45 produced pretty much the same image in each case.

... once you get used to it it's easy to use the 20mm as a 'fits all' kind of lens ...
Well, I have to disagree with you there. :nono: If you want or need a different focal length to frame the shot you wish to take, you have to use a different lens. Now, I accept that a 20mm (40mm equiv.) lens may well satisfy most, if not all of your requirements, but I'm afraid it doesn't even come close to satisfying mine and I suspect a great many other people's as well.

Well, I have to disagree with you there. :nono: If you want or need a different focal length to frame the shot you wish to take, you have to use a different lens. Now, I accept that a 20mm (40mm equiv.) lens may well satisfy most, if not all of your requirements, but I'm afraid it doesn't even come close to satisfying mine and I suspect a great many other people's as well.

I tend to agree Porky4, all the shorter lenses need some sort of 'leg zoom' . . . I experimented one day in the summer, set the lens to 20mm and snapped away . . . and got very frustrated to!!!! Time, distance and a dodgy knee, soon had me zooooming again . . . within the limitations of my 18-70mm, had the Nikon out that day, but its the same difference.

I'm afraid, hair shirt and self flagellation, tog style, does not suit me . . . ;)

CJS

once you get used to it it's easy to use the 20mm as a 'fits all' kind of lens. You just have to think a little more creative when setting up a shot.
One lens is all I need...

I think 'setting up a shot' is the clue here . . . setting up is fine.

However, one thought the 20mm was mainly seen as companion to micro 4/3 bodies to be 'pocketable'. Whip it out at a moments notice when you see a shot . . . just fine if you are in the right spot or nothing is moving??? other wise by the time you have got there its to late, the moment has long passed :shrug:

Like most things in this life, its a compromise . . . CJS

I find the 20mm sufficient most of the time - though some of the shots I am about to post didn't use it :LOL:

5100790522_7e9dae7ca8_z.jpg

5100181921_7fd2076988_b.jpg

5100199953_53bc81ae07_z.jpg

5100783010_63829d8371_b.jpg

5100832260_3eece12158_b.jpg

5100290811_97c1f92cf5_z.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shots Grum, as I said nothing moves . . . landscapes are the perfect subject for an excellent lens, compactness, perfect for the walker(y)

Takes me back 10/15 years, I lived on the Chiltern hills, we used to walk a lot in those days, if only I had had the kit and the experience . . . :) Sadly health and age is against me now.

CJS

Nice set of images Graham. More than nice, in fact, excellent. Mind you, if that moon shot was taken with the 20mm, or another lens @ 20mm, I'll eat your lens pouch! :eek: :naughty:

Just took mine out for the 1st real go.

It takes quite a nice picture.

PA210176s.jpg

I agree that the EVF is a way behind a *good* optical viewfinder. Compared to my T90 for example it pales. However, I find the OVFs on the entry level DSLRs like the Olympus E300 and Sony Alphas (A300 for example) to be small and dark and in 90%+ of cases prefer the EVF of my G2. There are times of course when I'd take even an Alpha's OVF over the EVF of the G2 but they are few and far between.

Sure graham the high iso seems to be improving with the newer m4/3 bodies, but the EVF is still a long way behind a true optical finder IMHO, add to that the 2x crop and I still think you NEED a dslr too :cautious:

Yeah I suspect you are probably right. I like your use of the word need. :)

I am debating at the moment whether to try and get some more 'pro' work, and I suspect a 'pro' DSLR is still the way to go.

A few snaps from Monday with the E-P1

5107829698_cec7dbe9a8_b.jpg

5107197485_ee34174789_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I am debating at the moment whether to try and get some more 'pro' work, and I suspect a 'pro' DSLR is still the way to go.

I would try a GH1 you might be supprised, you gain a ISO stop and the VF is very good. I had a D300 and dont miss it, yes the MFT bodies are a bit plastic but the images are great or the video cannot be beaten :)

I definitely need another dslr just wish I could decide which one:bang:

When you mention 'pro' work - what exactly have you done/doing? How do you go about finding said work?

Well I am currently doing quite a lot of photography work for my existing employer (an arts organisation) mostly taking pictures of gigs etc. I would like to try and get some of this kind of work on a freelance basis for other people. Don't know how likely it is but I can only try. Have had a few requests from bands to do promo pics as well.

I also had the thing with English Lakes Hotels where they used one of my pictures for a brochure (though I got a free stay worth about £300 rather than cash), and they said they would consider me for other stuff they needed doing.

I have also considered the idea of doing portraits and whatnot - have had a few people ask about doing family pics. Not sure about weddings for now, but I might see if anyone will let me come along as a second shooter.

I'm also in the process of setting up a website and gonna do some business cards to try and sell some prints - might only be to friends and family but we'll see. :) I really like landscape photography, and I'm tempted by a full frame camera - but I'm back to whether I would take it out when I have the best landscape opportunities (walking/biking et).

I just feel like if I got booked to take pics of some interiors at a hotel, or at a gig/festival (or especially a wedding) - they would expect me to turn up with a big SLR. And the high ISO performance and better AF could come in handy too.

Sorry for the rambling essay :bonk:

Last edited:
Well I am currently doing quite a lot of photography work for my existing employer (an arts organisation) mostly taking pictures of gigs etc. I would like to try and get some of this kind of work on a freelance basis for other people. Don't know how likely it is but I can only try. Have had a few requests from bands to do promo pics as well.

I also had the thing with English Lakes Hotels where they used one of my pictures for a brochure (though I got a free stay worth about £300 rather than cash), and they said they would consider me for other stuff they needed doing.

I have also considered the idea of doing portraits and whatnot - have had a few people ask about doing family pics. Not sure about weddings for now, but I might see if anyone will let me come along as a second shooter.

I'm also in the process of setting up a website and gonna do some business cards to try and sell some prints - might only be to friends and family but we'll see. :) I really like landscape photography, and I'm tempted by a full frame camera - but I'm back to whether I would take it out when I have the best landscape opportunities (walking/biking et).

I just feel like if I got booked to take pics of some interiors at a hotel, or at a gig/festival (or especially a wedding) - they would expect me to turn up with a big SLR. And the high ISO performance and better AF could come in handy too.

Sorry for the rambling essay :bonk:

m4/3 is great for a lot of things, and can take great images, but I'd personally not want to use the system at a wedding. Wedding's are high stress one-chance-only situations, where having the best camera matters. Everything else you mentioned isn't really a problem for m4/3 because you can take your time in setting up the photo. At weddings on the other hand you don't have that luxury.

I'd recommend not trying to be the principle photographer at a wedding or important event for the sake of the bride and groom. If something goes wrong, they'll not have a photo of it for the rest of their lives. I have no doubt that you could take some great photos at a wedding with m4/3, but relying on a single m4/3 body for an entire wedding would be foolish.

Thanks matt :) I will certainly post a link to the site once it's done.

leoedin - I wasn't really suggesting I was going to try and use M4/3 as a principle shooter at a wedding, or even being a principle shooter at all without doing a few as a second first. Still not sure I want to do it at all but I think I will give it a try at some point.

I do think there is potentially a place for something like the GF1 and 20mm for doing wedding candid shots though.

Our wedding photographer used a manual focus Medium Format Mamiya - much slower to use than a m4/3 and yet every single shot was exceptional. There will always be situations where one camera is better than another. A recent wedding I attended the photographer was trying to get a top down shot of all the wedding party's hands in a circle to get the various cufflinks. The lack of articulated live-view saw him searching for a stool and then a stepladder in order to get enough height.

with the price of the EP1 I had to jump on the M4/3rd wagon and get one that arrived 1/2 hr ago (don't you love early deliveries).

I had messed around with one in the shops so knew I loved the look and feel of it, I have read the pros and cons on various review sites so am pretty much prepared and its not about to be my main snapper so for the price it seems right for me.

I shall get a 4/3rds adapter at some point so I can use my 25mm pancake on it, and if I have read correctly my Metz 36 AFDOf flash will work so thats a bonus.

hurry and charge battery goddammit :D

with the price of the EP1 I had to jump on the M4/3rd wagon and get one that arrived 1/2 hr ago (don't you love early deliveries).

I had messed around with one in the shops so knew I loved the look and feel of it, I have read the pros and cons on various review sites so am pretty much prepared and its not about to be my main snapper so for the price it seems right for me.

I shall get a 4/3rds adapter at some point so I can use my 25mm pancake on it, and if I have read correctly my Metz 36 AFDOf flash will work so thats a bonus.

hurry and charge battery goddammit :D

Welcome to the club... the E-P1 is proving to be a wonderful camera for me (y)

No mention of a lens cover??? how big is a 'pin hole', will dust pass through it?
Potential dust bunnies?

CJS

No mention of a lens cover??? how big is a 'pin hole', will dust pass through it?
Potential dust bunnies?

CJS

Would imagine they don't intend it as a body cap replacement.

from the designers:

The pinhole is so small that dust getting in is not a big problem, though the nature of pinhole photography does show off any dust already on the sensor. However, we're working on custom software to help automatically remove dust spots.

Last edited:
Back