Micro adjustment on a D300 (also, sending the camera and lens off for calibration)

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just got off the phone with a nice chap from Sigma who was quick to blame my camera on the front focussing issue I'm having rather than the Sigma glass, regardless that the 50, 18-70 and 300mm lenses all focus fine. Now, he did mention that there's a micro adjustment that can be done 'in camera' and to try that first. Now I was unaware a D300 did this, but if it does could someone enlighten me please. The front focussing problem seems to be focussing at the 10mm mark as seen below. Can anyone instruct me how to adjust for the lens. Also, will the camera remember it for the lens or will I need to change it every time I swap to a non-problematic lens?

Thanks folks,

DSC_2675small.jpg

This is all mentioned in the manual...

Experiement with -10 and +10, and see what gets you closer. With digital the results are easy to see very quickly, so really just dive it.

You'll need need to be at -20 I think for that. The camera will remember the setting for this lens.

(Personally I do not accept any lens that needs any sort of adjustment but thats a different subject)

This is all mentioned in the manual...

Experiement with -10 and +10, and see what gets you closer. With digital the results are easy to see very quickly, so really just dive it.

You'll need need to be at -20 I think for that. The camera will remember the setting for this lens.

(Personally I do not accept any lens that needs any sort of adjustment but thats a different subject)

Thanks for the prompt reply. Where do I find that and how do I adjust it?

Have a look for the lens AF Fine Tune option in the D300 menu. I don't have a camera to hand but its probably in the Setup menu.

You can save your settings for up to (iirc) 12 lenses and the camera will automatically recognise which one (assuming you don't have two similar lenses as it only recognises a type of lens, not an individual one) is fitted.

I'm not sure, however, if this is restricted to Nikon glass or if it works with third party products as well..

I found the menu while the 300/4 was on and it recognised the Nikkor glass but when the 70-200 was fitted it just said 70-200 2.8. I only have 1 70-200 2.8 so that should be easily sorted. Thanks for the quick help Mr Duck and Flash. I'm adjusting now and will post the results.

Tried going from +20 to -20 in the AF Fine Tune and its still the same. No difference in the focus area, its still front focussing. Down to Jessops I think.

Tried going from +20 to -20 in the AF Fine Tune and its still the same. No difference in the focus area, its still front focussing. Down to Jessops I think.

You did select "OK" to ensure the settings took?

There should be some difference between -20 and +20....

Check EXIF in Capture NX for Fine Tune value.

This is +20

20.jpg

and this is -20

-20.jpg

There is difference, but it's not bringing it back into focus enough.

Try shooting in the real world, and not focus charts.

In any event, AF fine tune isn't suitable for zooms - very few are par-focal (in other words as you move from 70 to 200mm focus point changes), so you can only optimize for one focal length and focal distance.

I'll need to wait until next week before I can give it a go in my 'normal' conditions as the next Irish Superbike round isn't until the 14th. I'll spend time with the Sigma fitted and see how the results fare to my usual shots.

When speaking with the people at Sigma, the agent did say about sending the camera itself along with the lens to have it calibrated for eachother. My concern would be that it might throw my other lenses OOF. I'm I wrong in thinking this or will the lens simply be calibrated to suit the camera and not vice versa.

I'll need to wait until next week before I can give it a go in my 'normal' conditions as the next Irish Superbike round isn't until the 14th. I'll spend time with the Sigma fitted and see how the results fare to my usual shots.

When speaking with the people at Sigma, the agent did say about sending the camera itself along with the lens to have it calibrated for eachother. My concern would be that it might throw my other lenses OOF. I'm I wrong in thinking this or will the lens simply be calibrated to suit the camera and not vice versa.

The camera can store 15 (I think) different lens adjustments, it recognises which lens is mounted, you do not have to change anything when changing lenses.

Back