Micro lens

Sigma 105 is a good starter lens.

What sort of budget do you have?

Macro lenses usually start at about £250 for a dedicated lens - the SIgma 105mm gets some good reviews. Alternatively you could get some extension tubes - a full set will cost you about £75-90.

I bought a Macro lens a couple of months back and I have to say it was a very worthwhile investment - much more fun to use than tubes in my opinion.

What sort of budget do you have?

Macro lenses usually start at about £250 for a dedicated lens - the SIgma 105mm gets some good reviews. Alternatively you could get some extension tubes - a full set will cost you about £75-90.

I bought a Macro lens a couple of months back and I have to say it was a very worthwhile investment - much more fun to use than tubes in my opinion.

Lucky me , after Christmas i can afford to go up to £400

Lucky me , after Christmas i can afford to go up to £400
Sounds like you've pretty much got your pick of the lineup around 100mm then. (y)

Doesn't hurt to leave a bit of cash about for those extra expenses you may need depending on the macro photography you decide you like. I had to wait before I could add focussing rails and an appropriate tripod head to my kit.

Sigma 105 or 150 would be my recommendation (I have the Nikon 105 and Sigma 150 and use the latter more often). One thing to bear in mind is you will want a monopod/tripod/bean bag to steady the camera if you want to get a sharp shots.

hmm mirco or macro ? because theyre too different subjects
if your wanting microsopic photography you can pick up microscopes quite easily
macro is more of making small objects larger
ill show you an example of both i took for my college course

Magnification filters are a good start; they are quite cheap. They just screw on to the front of your camera, and you can put as many as you want at one time, so you could have something like 30x magnification on your subject.

You will need to check the diameter of your thread first, you dont want to buy a filter too big/small for your camera! :D

Tamron 90mm or Sigma 150mm should be the ones to look at first.

I'd also recommend a Tokina 100mm, but they are impossible to find.

The Nikkor micro lenses are very nice as well, but you are paying for brand name, not optical performance. Any macro lens will be optically excellent, even one you find on Ebay for peanuts thats a few years old.

Back