Micro SD adapter with Micro Sd card / Jet Drive storage for MacBook ?

Name
And
Edit My Images
No
Hi

Has anyone used either of these (or equivalent ones) for adding storage to a MacBook.

Am thinking of one for adding extra storage to MacBook Pro - not sure if one is a better way to go over the other - would need to get one of the Nifty Minidrives as well - so price wise, very similar all in...

Any thoughts / experiences welcome...

I had JetDrive Lite 128GB and it was fine. Decent speed (90mb/s r, 60mb/s writes), little or no issues.

Nifty could be also fine and is potentially more flexible, but one need to be very careful what kind of microSD card to get with it. Many SD cards declare high read speeds but are way too slow when writing. Cards with decent write speed are hard to find and can be expensive. Also some cards have higher power consumption than others, could create problems when going to sleep, etc

Soon after purchasing my MacBook Pro (late 2013- 250GB SSD) I put a Transcend JetDrive into it for extra storage, and have found it very useful, with no problems at all. I certainly would recommend it.

I had JetDrive Lite 128GB and it was fine. Decent speed (90mb/s r, 60mb/s writes), little or no issues.

Nifty could be also fine and is potentially more flexible, but one need to be very careful what kind of microSD card to get with it. Many SD cards declare high read speeds but are way too slow when writing. Cards with decent write speed are hard to find and can be expensive. Also some cards have higher power consumption than others, could create problems when going to sleep, etc

Cheers thanks. Something to consider then regarding the micro SD card...

Soon after purchasing my MacBook Pro (late 2013- 250GB SSD) I put a Transcend JetDrive into it for extra storage, and have found it very useful, with no problems at all. I certainly would recommend it.

Thanks, that's good to know [emoji3]

I recently purchased a Nifty drive and 128GB storage (Toshiba M302-EA) for my MacBook and it works very well.
Many thanks @andyred for raising the question, and @Andy Taylor for his valued recommendation (he's a great source of Mac related advice / information).

I didn't know these adapters existed. I was considering a Jetdrive Lite but preferred the idea of putting an SSD into a USB3 portable enclosure. It would cost a bit more but I'd get more storage space, faster performance and also have greater flexibility wrt using it with other computers etc.; the downside being it would be a pain to use frequently especially when working anywhere other than at a desk.

However, after researching Andy's recommendation and discovering Amazon were selling the Nifty for a moderate price (which inexplicably jumped up £13 the day after purchase!) and Argos having a reasonable MicroSDXC card on sale (SanDisk 128GB Extreme with R/W of 90/60) which meant I could utilise a gift card I was struggling to spend - so my decision was made.

For me the advantages of the Nifty adapter (others are available) are:
- Invisible upgrade utilising an unused SD card slot.
- Upgradeable in the future when MicroSD cards inevitably get faster, larger and cheaper.
- The MicroSD card can be repurposed if necessary (using the provided standard SD adapter) eg. large but slow emergency memory card for my cameras etc.
- Support a small British company (Manchester).

Installed it all this morning and I'm a happy bunny.

I've offloaded a load of files that don't require the performance of the internal SSD (iTunes, Dropbox, non-critical photos & videos, downloads etc.). which has freed up over 90GB - excellent!

Anyway, that was a load of waffle to simply say "thank you"!

Back