Microphone for wildlife

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I've started taking an interest in doing a few wildlife videos, but obviously, with a long telephoto, the built in mic isn't the greatest when trying to shoot animals (mainly birds) at 20-30 metres.

Any ideas on what I could use on my X-T2 or T3 ?

Steve, I use a "Rode Video Micro" and the sound quality is very good compared with the built in mics. Comes complete with a dead cat & suspension mount and is quite directional, I think you can still pick one up for about 40 bucks on Amazon. I don't know if it will suffice for what you want as you may need a mic with some sort of distance setting on it if they make such a thing.

Hope this helps.,

George.

It's all starting to sound a bit expensive.... I'll have to keep it shorter range, or, use a microphone closer to the subject.

Ive been making " nature soundscape" videos for a while now. I use external recorders (Tascam DR100Mk2) and place them remotely from the camera. Sometimes leaving them for a few hours. Maybe not quite your intention, but works well.
I do also have an rode mic I can mount on the camera, but its no where near as sensitive as the tascam and the noise floor is quite high.
View: https://youtu.be/Zywz1SHZTdk

Back