microphone wind blockers.

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone who does video work would have come across wind passing over a microphone causing an annoying wind noise.
Below shows a Sennheiser MKE400 mounted on top of a Panasonic HC-X-900M camcorder without any wind blockers on the external or built in mike.

p6u6.jpg

As you can guess absolutely useless like this, so Sennheiser proved a foam wind blocker

liy9.jpg

had no real affect so I purchased one of these (no its not a skinned mole but the fur is about the same length)

wr4x.jpg

Slight improvement but not really up to the job so next purchase was

bbdm.jpg

So how did this perform? At a rough guess it cut out about 80% of wind noise and about the best performance muffler I could find. it slips over the Sennheiser muffler easily

So saving anyone thinking about stopping wind noise using an external mike the best is with the longest fur possible

Hope this may be of interest. Oh by the way that is a superb small mike but does cost a bit, but worth every penny.

l3jx.jpg

Mounted on a Nikon D800 to give idea of size

Last edited:
We also use a dead tribble on ours at work and like you have found it very effective.

Hi Paul

As you can see I went through a learning curve, so thought as it hadn't been done before it may help anyone else.

I agree, we only shoot short product demo's at our place, but we soon learned that the wind can very soon dominate the audio track to the point where you would rather not watch the vid. Not an ideal situation when you're trying to flog the kit being demonstrated.

We also use a dead tribble on ours at work and like you have found it very effective.

In the name of God don't feed it. :help:

Addendum: Oh wait just re read that... Its Dead..... Carry on.

Back