Microsoft Edge won't go away - Solved (partially)!

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Having made the mistake of trialling Microsoft Edge after a short period of laptop problems I now want to revert to Firefox ... so just click on 'Set Firefox as Default Browser' ... easy ... NO!!!
I get taken to Settings where Microsoft Edge is shown as the default and Firefox does not appear as amongst the alternative options.
I've uninstalled Edge through CCleaner (the option to uninstall Edge doesn't exist via Control Panel) but it still shows as the default browser and will not go away ... even though I uninstalled it, it opens from email links, Arrgh!
I uninstalled and re-installed Firefox but still it does not appear in the list of options to chose as my default browser.

HELP! ... What must I do to get Firefox as my default?

Edge - one of the banes of my life too.

Perhaps uninstall Firefox, then install Chrome - if that appears in your list of browsers in the default selection, at least you are a bit better off! Then install Firefox and check again.

I have the same problem but was warned not to uninstall Microsoft Edge as it is part of Windows 10. and it may upset the workings of windows of the system. I don't know if that is true or not, To be honest it is a pain in the proverbial.

I also have Firefox installed together with Chrome and although I am not a particular fan of chrome I much prefer it to Edge! Every so often I clear out my browsing history and if I do it using Chrome, it helpfully also clear the history held by Firefox as well and vice versa. I have set them so that it does not touch the passwords and they continue to work as they should. It does not touch Microsoft Edge and I have to do that separately.

If I clear the history with Edge and as I don't use it deliberately, the information saved must be poached from the other two browsers, it blasts everything including the saved passwords and they have to be saved again. Then every time I use a programme with a password, Edge pops up and asks if I want them to save the password. Why do some companies always make it so damn difficult and give things we don't need and are happy using what we have. If it were a human he/she would be told to swing his hook, although probably more forcefully and go elsewhere.

More info. I have just checked the setting panel as suggested in the link by JohnathanRyan and I find I have two programmes for Microsoft Edge. One appears to be the main programme and the other is named Microsoft Edge update. Will I have to uninstall both individually or will the main one uninstall both at the same time. If it has to be done individually in what order should it be done or doesn't it matter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, looks like Edge is now part of the OS so impossible to delete ... I've tried several of the Internet 'How to's' and is clings on relentlessly!
What I hate is how it just intrudes on everything!
Still cannot find a way to make Firefox my default browser though :(

At present I cannot remember but if you type in how to make Firefox my default browser, you should get an answer. I cannot do it for you as I am in the middle of another operation.

At present I cannot remember but if you type in how to make Firefox my default browser, you should get an answer. I cannot do it for you as I am in the middle of another operation.
Thanks, yes I've tried that and it always takes me back to 'Settings' but Firefox isn't shown as an option there ... funnily enough Opera is there but not Firefox and Edge is always there as the default.

I could suggest therapy but you may have gone past the point where it would not work.:mad:
What's worse, I think that W10 is rather nice, since they got the Linux co-processing to work right. :coat:

I thought Microsoft lost a very expensive anti-trust case years ago for making IE part of Windows to the detriment of competing browsers?

Ah yes. Edge and Internet Explorer - two very successful Microsoft viruses. :mad:

Thankfully, in the thirty plus years I've been using PCs I've never been daft enough to use either.

Now it seems most people have changed to using the the Google virus - Chrome. :facepalm:

Sadly, I fell for this myself when it first came out. I soon rectified that mistake . . .

I also like Edge and use it. I cannot see any significant issue with it. I only let it store passwords which are non -commercial and thus do not put me at risk. However, I do understand that Edge stores the passwords in encrypted form and is probably quite safe.

Dave

It's not so much that I have an issue with using Edge, it's just that I prefer Firefox ... the issue is that it won't keep its nose out of things that I don't want it interfering with. :(

Thanks, yes I've tried that and it always takes me back to 'Settings' but Firefox isn't shown as an option there ... funnily enough Opera is there but not Firefox and Edge is always there as the default.
Settings is the right place to change it, I have Edge but also have Firefox and Chrome and they all show up as options in the Default Apps -> Web browser. Have you actually clicked on "Edge" under Web browser? I say that because it doesn't look like a list but if you click it it pops up the list of installed browsers. If Firefox is still not there then maybe uninstall and reinstall?

Settings is the right place to change it, I have Edge but also have Firefox and Chrome and they all show up as options in the Default Apps -> Web browser. Have you actually clicked on "Edge" under Web browser? I say that because it doesn't look like a list but if you click it it pops up the list of installed browsers. If Firefox is still not there then maybe uninstall and reinstall?

Well!
I've done that including the uninstall & reinstall of Firefox, restart and nothing changed.
Then I saw your post and thought, "what the heck, try it again" ... and there it is now, so made it default :thinking:
Thanks for prompting me to look again. :)

I prefer Edge to the crash monster that is Firefox. Damn that Firefox "This is embarrassing" error message.

What's wrong with edge? It's now basically chrome with less resource hogging.

I prefer Edge to the crash monster that is Firefox. Damn that Firefox "This is embarrassing" error message.

I'm a bit surprised. I've been using Firefox as my default browser for years and I can't remember it ever crashing, not even once. Maybe I've just been lucky. :)

I don't think Firefox has ever crashed on me. Having said that I much prefer Edge now. I'm not sure why people have an issue with it.

The new Edge IS chrome, just rebadged and tweaked.
If Firefox is not appearing as a default option then you have a registry issue.
I would start by uninstalling FF.
Go to apps edge, advanced reset and repair.
Clean the registry with cc. Then reboot and reinstall FF.

Ps under defaults im assuming you know you have to highlight the edge option to make the other options visible?

Last edited:
The new Edge IS chrome, just rebadged and tweaked.
If Firefox is not appearing as a default option then you have a registry issue.
I would start by uninstalling FF.
Go to apps edge, advanced reset and repair.
Clean the registry with cc. Then reboot and reinstall FF.

Ps under defaults im assuming you know you have to highlight the edge option to make the other options visible?
Thanks, yes I did uninstall/reinstall but initially Firefox didn't show as an option ... then as prompted by @sirch I later checked the default options again and lo and behold it was there so I was able to make the change.

If Edge is Chrome then why does it operate so differently. On one of my earlier posts, I pointed out that when I cleared my browsing history in Firefox it also cleared that in Chrome and also the other way around, but it does not touch Edge. Also I can set (and have done) so that saved passwords are not also deleted with the other two browsers, but I have yet to fathom out how I can do this with edge, I know there is a way, but getting it to work seems to need someone with a degree in computer science to work out how! A simple way to do it would be very welcome.

Also if I check my browsing history in Edge it is usually almost a mirror image of what I cleared in the other two browsers. I have a nagging feeling that this is what is slowing down my computer, it used to be a lot quicker than it is now - even with a solid state drive installed.

Also when browsing it does not matter what, a pop-up appears which says Microsoft Edge has stopped working and it will send them a message. Really!!!! I just delete the message (with no ill effects) and usually I had no prior knowledge that I was using Edge because I started the search it was with Firefox or Chrome. I wonder if it may be that Microsoft could at some time off us the option of shutting Edge off.

I know, I know - flying pigs and all that!

Last edited by a moderator:
The new Edge uses the Chromium rendering engine. It's like a lot of DSLRs use sensors made by Sony but a D850 is clearly not an A9.

The new Edge uses the Chromium rendering engine.
That could be why Chrome started freezing on my Windows 10 machine. Perhaps it was some sort of file access issue, with Chrome and Edge both trying to use the same libraries. Anyway, Chrome still works OK on OS-X, so I use it there. Firefox appears problem free on my Linux machine.

That could be why Chrome started freezing on my Windows 10 machine. Perhaps it was some sort of file access issue, with Chrome and Edge both trying to use the same libraries. Anyway, Chrome still works OK on OS-X, so I use it there. Firefox appears problem free on my Linux machine.

I've had a few win10 customers where the new edge has corrupted chrome. They share a few data sets.

Back