Microsoft Surface Event (October 2nd) - What are you hoping for?

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
For anyone that’s interested in the Microsoft Surface line of products, what are you hoping to be announced at the event?

For me, I’d love to see the black Surface Book that was spotted in the Intel 8-series advert, or an updated Surface Studio, although doubtful I could justify the cost!

The Andromeda device would be another great announcement, but recent information from MS is that it’s future is undecided..

A Surface Pro with a quad core i5 processor and maybe 12GB of RAM for the same price as the current i5 / 8GB models. The i7 models are a bit too expensive for what you get and from what I've seen the i5 models are only OK for raw processing, not lightning fast. My current work laptop is basically the same spec as an i7 Surface Pro (same processor, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD) and it's perfect for photo processing.

And for them to include at least the keyboard in the box instead of it being an add on accessory. That would probably make me buy one as my photo processing machine as I could slide it into my backpack and take it with me when I'm out shooting

Well, no black Surface Book, but a black Surface Pro and Surface Laptop made appearances along with a refreshed Surface Studio and a Cortana-Enabled headset.

Nothing for me ...

I don't understand why I can't have an i5 processor with 8GB of RAM and 512GB of storage? That's surely the sweet spot for photographers and they don't offer it. The lack of a thunderbolt port and the fact they still don't include the keyboard is a bit of a deal breaker for me. Shame because it's my ideal form factor but they never seem to get it quite right. The right combination of processor, RAM, storage and price just doesn't exist in their lineup.

I notice you can get a Dell XPS 15 with a Core i7 processor, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 4GB dedicated graphics card and a 4K resolution, 100% Adobe RGB display for under £1600. I know it's a different scale of device compared to the Surface Pro, but it does make the Surface look hugely overpriced.

Last edited:
I don't understand why I can't have an i5 processor with 8GB of RAM and 512GB of storage? That's surely the sweet spot for photographers and they don't offer it. The lack of a thunderbolt port and the fact they still don't include the keyboard is a bit of a deal breaker for me. Shame because it's my ideal form factor but they never seem to get it quite right. The right combination of processor, RAM, storage and price just doesn't exist in their lineup.

I notice you can get a Dell XPS 15 with a Core i7 processor, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 4GB dedicated graphics card and a 4K resolution, 100% Adobe RGB display for under £1600. I know it's a different scale of device compared to the Surface Pro, but it does make the Surface look hugely overpriced.

I have to agree completely the RRP of them is ridiculous.
I was recently looking for something similar and ended up with Samsung Pro S used for about 1/4 the price of the Microsoft offering

Back