Microsoft Word purchase...?

Edit My Images
Yes
My wife seems to have constant problems with Apache word which I installed many years ago and have never had an issue with...................
So I'm wondering about buying a copy of MS Word (she can pay) as then it will no longer be my fault whenever she saves something in a format she can't open or whatever.
I don't want or need Office, do want a legal copy, and this seems to be cheap enough -

Any thoughts ?

We do have a student in the house if that makes any difference.
Thanks for any suggestions or advice !

£19.99?

b1ca3d0724d03047db9bbb50c699b716.jpg

MS and legitimate resellers charge a lot more:

Last edited:
Not sure you can purchase word on it own.

You have the option of office 365 which annual subscription, or the full office.

Not sure how trustworthy the ones that sell the keys for cheap are.

I know you have tried the free version, but have you tried open office or libre Office?

Fair enough, I've never looked into buying Office or Word so have no idea, but seem to remember a big thing about cheaper copies of word a few years ago, when it turned out that copies costing more than a fiver were generally legit.

Not sure you can purchase word on it own.

You have the option of office 365 which annual subscription, or the full office.

Not sure how trustworthy the ones that sell the keys for cheap are.

I know you have tried the free version, but have you tried open office or libre Office?
Our posts crossed over I guess....
I thought open office and Libre office were the same thing as Apache ?
Are either the same as MS word ?

Yes they are as the are both open source.

Cheap keys might be genuine in the sense that they have been issued by MS, but not licensed by MS to be sold in this way (e.g., volume licence keys or developer keys).

Microsoft 365 is another option, a subscription that gives you 1TB of cloud storage and Office for £5 a month on the annual plan (it stops working when you stop paying).

LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice are separate packages, both based on a previous version of OpenOffice that two different groups of developers took in slightly different directions. LibreOffice is more actively developed these days.

They were but LibreOffice is better, and more updated.

The company selling your original link dissolved in Nov 2020

I use LibreOffice, and never had any issues with it (up to date win10) (y)

Last edited:
They were but LibreOffice is better, and more updated.

Thanks for that, just downloaded LibreOffice on the iMac and it opens from Word .docx without issues for me. :)
Will now get rid of OpenOffice.

I haven’t used MS Office for years but my understanding is that the only app that has difficulty opening the various MS word documents is ... MS Word :).

To be fair I don’t use LibreOffice much either now, I find Apple Pages (across, MacOS & iOS, though not as good as the original Mac version, which still works) does all I need(and it better with graphics/tables/etc) and opens MS Word docs when needed :). If I were doing more word processing I’d probably go for Nisus Writer which is very well supported.

you can buy a years subscription to office for £60 from the microsoft store and that includes 1 Tb of online storage ( for photos etc), if my experience with zenfolio is anything to go by US companies seem not to increase prices for existing customers my Zen was $40 years ago and its still $40 despite a lot of price increases for new customers

i only still use word because i have an old business volume licence version from donkeys ago
still on Word 2013 but i have ditched outlook for thunderbird.

I used OpenOffice for many years but the development stopped for a while. I have been using Libre Office for about 3 years now with no problems at all, it really is worth downloading it and giving it a try before you pay out for anything else.

Beware of Open Office!
Apache OpenOffice hasn’t had a single major release since 2014!. That’s right – no significant new features or major updates have arrived in over six years. Very few minor releases have been made, and there have been issues with timely security updates too.
Link...
Most people have moved on to Libre Office. And there is a simple setting to make Libre Office always save in the MS format:
https://www.howtogeek.com/281166/how-to-change-the-default-file-format-in-libreoffice/

There is absolutely no reason to pay for a word processing programme. To be honest I strongly feel that it ought to be free because it is people's right to write creatively. Thankfully Libre Office is out there, and that's what I use now. I'm also keeping Apache Office on the go, simply because I have documents written in that. You might think it is a simple task to open Apache documents in Libre Office, and indeed it it. However, if you look at the ' they are different in each and you can't amend one in the other without it looking plain scrappy.

There is absolutely no reason to pay for a word processing programme. To be honest I strongly feel that it ought to be free because it is people's right to write creatively. Thankfully Libre Office is out there, and that's what I use now. I'm also keeping Apache Office on the go, simply because I have documents written in that. You might think it is a simple task to open Apache documents in Libre Office, and indeed it it. However, if you look at the ' they are different in each and you can't amend one in the other without it looking plain scrappy.
Unless they’ve changed since I was using it, LibreOffice is not entirely free (as in “beer”) since the latest release is always available to donors before it is on general release. I used to make occasional (very small ) donations.

To be honest I strongly feel that it ought to be free because it is people's right to write creatively”
No doubt you work for free too and live on air, so I shan’t criticise :). You could try pen, ink and paper, all of which you could make for yourself :).

Unless they’ve changed since I was using it, LibreOffice is not entirely free (as in “beer”) since the latest release is always available to donors before it is on general release. I used to make occasional (very small ) donations.

To be honest I strongly feel that it ought to be free because it is people's right to write creatively”
No doubt you work for free too and live on air, so I shan’t criticise :). You could try pen, ink and paper, all of which you could make for yourself :).

Yes, they invite you to make donations. But it's not compulsory. Like most sensible people I separate out work from play, and we all live on air. ;)

Thanks for the useful tip.
Slight difference here with the latest version, need to choose 'Preferences' not 'Options' (which doesn't exist). :)
How strange, I am running the latest version of LibreOffice (7.0.3.1) and that has 'Options' in the 'Tools' drop down menu

Back