Mid Life Crisis - What Car to get

2) I'm sticking with higher management !! 25 year old gf ?? I think my mind would be making appointments my body couldn't possibly keep

the 25 year old trophy girlfriend is supposed to be as well as higher management not instead... as they say its important to have a woman who cooks and cleans , its very important to have a woman that's stunning arm candy, and its extremly important to have a woman that meets your needs in the bedroom..... and its absolutely f*****g critical that these women don't find out about each other ;)

Another vote here for TVR. I had a Chimaera to help me through my MLC. I bought it from a Mechanical Engineer who helped design race engines for a living, he had rebuilt it from scratch.

Problems with TVRs include keeping one's licence and death, if you fail to overcome the 'exuberance' they so easily encourage.

I was gutted when I had to sell it.

Reactions: ST4
the 25 year old trophy girlfriend is supposed to be as well as higher management not instead... as they say its important to have a woman who cooks and cleans , its very important to have a woman that's stunning arm candy, and its extremly important to have a woman that meets your needs in the bedroom..... and its absolutely f*****g critical that these women don't find out about each other ;)

See you can tell I'm a newbie at this. Who would have guessed TP had so many experts

I think what you need is a rigid body, a V8 of some description (nothing too large as that's overkill) and only 2 doors with a small boot for putting the 4 pack in. This is exactly why I bought my Jags, solid built and still look sexy after a few years old. Try and stay clear of auto boxes and big engines unless you fancy detonating the transmission :)

Remember you have the option of kit cars as well - along the lines of the Lotus 7 replicas etc, I agree it won't be Cat 7 money but with a low weight to power ratio it will be just as fun even if you squeeze 160bhp out of a car weighing 700kg :)

I'd look at the BMW Z4 or if you don't want a convertible, the Peugeot RCZ.

Z3 and Z4 - sorry, they should tick every box being rear wheel drive, reliable but they are ugly and everyone on the road generally seems to be driven by knobheads, and I wouldn't want to be associated.

RCZ is an interesting car, my 75 year old neighbour bought one, took off all 4 corners gradually, then traded the manual in for an auto. Like the look, not sure I like the engine in it. Not too much drama.

VED is basically irrelevant compared to fuel and tyres ;)

I guess you're right. I think the ved was just the final straw £500 before you start on the running costs. The fuel costs didn't worry me too much as I'm not going to be doing mega miles

Mate of mine had a Griffith - it was the only car I've ever encountered that broke down more than my old XJS (although the alfasud my mate farley had when we were 18 comes close)-, plus the roof used to leak like a b*****d in the rain so the only solution was to leave it down and drive really fast to stay dry (the police did not accept that as an excuse when he got tugged for doing 82 in a 60)

I realise build quality may be better now and i'd fancy a Chimera if i had the coins but just saying..

also a post with the words ferrari in it could also be acceptable (although again not for 15k ... and they break down a fair bit too)

Nothing personal but YOU had a Jag XJS??? I didn't see that coming...I had you as a mundane/sensible sort of car person

Porsche 911. Slightly butcher than the Coxster or Gayman which might be out of budget. What about M3 BMWs, E63/E55/CLS55/63 AMG etc

Or if reliving your youth matters, what about a hot hatch. I saw some old dude in a Corsa VXR and GTi Golf etc.

Last edited:
How about a classic Triumph TR6 there are a couple on Autotrader under your budget

Nothing personal but YOU had a Jag XJS??? I didn't see that coming...I had you as a mundane/sensible sort of car person

shows how little you know me Steve :) Admittedly i drive a very boring ford focus these days , but previous cars have included (admittedly in amongst some mundane runabouts):

the aforementioned XJS complete with pepperpot wheels (for the mighty sum of £750 - unsurprisingly it was a heap and broke down a lot) ,

a VW scirocco which i wrote off the day after i bought it ,

an MX5

and my very first car owned jointly with my mate john, a bright pink triumph herald convertible (which was an utter heap and made the XJS look reliable in comparison) - we hand painted it silver (classy look) and eventually burned the clutch out on lynmouth hill while on our way to newquay.

I also used to be into bikes starting age 16 with an AR50 and progressing through a 125, a 350 , and eventually a harley sportster 850 which i had for ages until a pillock in a white van decided to demonstrate newtons laws (two objects cant occupy the same space at the same time) and wrote off the bike and nearly me along with it ... being in a teapot cast for the best part of 2 months while my collar bone healed spelled the end of my biker days.

For my midlife crisis I'm looking at buying an old MR2 and doing it up, i'll be foregoing the trophy girlfriend as my wife is already ten years younger than me ;)

Reactions: ST4
Cayman or get a camper you'll have much more fun in that.

Last edited:
Proper money pits. They go so well though...my choice would be the SL of any engine other than the 350.

Shame Bentley GTs aren't in budget. The GT covers it off so well.
V12 biturbo, I didn't look further :D

R32s are getting very old. Unless it's been rebuilt it will be a bit rusty. Mine needed a lot of welding to get it through its last MOT and that was about 7 or 8 years ago. I was fancying another recently as well :)

Or a Honda
Triumph%20Legend%20TT%2099%20%202.jpg

Been there done that. I bought a knackered non running rusty old mk1 mx5 and did it up. Learnt some good man skills in the process (engine out, loads of cutting and welding etc). Is much fun and I can highly recommend it.

Of course even after turbo-ing it etc you'll have plenty of change from £15k
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446246371.600518.jpg

Last edited:
Or if reliving your youth matters, what about a hot hatch. I saw some old dude in a Corsa VXR and GTi Golf etc.

Hence my suggestion of a Civic Type R. ;)

R32s are getting very old. Unless it's been rebuilt it will be a bit rusty. Mine needed a lot of welding to get it through its last MOT and that was about 7 or 8 years ago. I was fancying another recently as well :)

There are loads of well looked after R32 and R33s in fantastic condition if you know where to look. The prices are going up rapidly in Japan and mint examples are now costing us £20k or more. Saw an example at £29k last week. Still very very nice cars around £12-15k mark for bith 32 and 33s. You do need to watch out for the crap though and get to know what to look for but if you get a good one then they are well worth keeping hold of. As the USA can now get the R32 then prices will keep climbing for a while.

Skyline R33 GTR or even the R32 GTR they don't lose money and are a great drive. A good one for your money, the only car I regret selling- would love another one.
I looked a long time ago, would be about 2003 or so, finding an R32 that hadn't been mucked about with even then was not easy.

Ultimately, nice as they are, I didn't want a saloon.

Been there done that. I bought a knackered non running rusty old mk1 mx5 and did it up. Learnt some good man skills in the process (engine out, loads of cutting and welding etc). Is much fun and I can highly recommend it.

Of course even after turbo-ing it etc you'll have plenty of change from £15k
View attachment 49486

Learning & using man skills is good :) 19 year ownership - 6 year rebuild. People kept telling me it'd be worth it in the end :)

Back