1. Woodsy

Woodsy POTY Winner 2009

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    <Rant>

If you close early, you miss out on sales, and don’t much inspire me to return. Simples really.

</Rant>

Sorry needed a vent. Anyone else get ticked off when stuff like this happens?

2. gramps

gramps

Edit My Images:
    No
    Yup ... game of two halves for me too, had good and bad experiences from them but not using them now.

Woodsy likes this.
  3. RaglanSurf

RaglanSurf Forum Idiot'13/14 FPOTY'17

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Very poor quality rant, it lacks inappropriate use of capitals, not a single exclamation mark, not one asterisk and seems quite a reasonable statement. Must try harder :D

Mr Badger, sirch, ChrisR and 8 others like this.
  4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg

Name:
    Steven
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    same thing happened to me with Calumnet a while back. Dragged the boy to the shop on the other side of town and when I got there they were shut for lunch. Had to go to the park to keep the boy from having a full melt down then go back for my stuff a few days later.

5. Asha

Asha Blithering Idiot

Edit My Images:
    No
    Nah, not me :whistle:............it's just you mate! :D

Mr Badger and Woodsy like this.
  6. Woodsy

Woodsy POTY Winner 2009

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    :D

Welcome back friend :)

Asha likes this.
  7. Asha

Asha Blithering Idiot

Edit My Images:
    No
    :ty:;)

8. Woodsy

Woodsy POTY Winner 2009

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Sorry to disappoint fella! You’ll have to tutor me at some point :D

Mr Badger likes this.
  9. ChrisR

ChrisR

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I went there just the once, got a nice bargain lens and they let me use the staff loo too! But since I'd driven 80 miles or so to get there, I too would have been, ahem, annoyed if they'd closed outside their advertised hours.

10. Bythesea

Bythesea

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    No
    On holiday in Brixham this week, and haven't managed to get there yet as their opening hours are not good. If they aren't even keeping to them I have no chance!

11. dcash29

dcash29

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    They probably close early as its not worth opening later due to the lack of customers at that time of day. As for blaming the opening hours for not getting there while on holiday, well that's the poorest excuse going. :LOL:

12. Bythesea

Bythesea

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    No
    As I don't actually need anything it doesn't bother me. Just would have been nice to have had a look as I have bought from them before.

13. Mr Badger

Mr Badger

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Yes, apparently he got really annoyed once and went "Tut". ;)

Don't worry Jonathan, I'm only joking, I feel your disappointment and respect your well-mannered restraint. (y) After all, there might have been a valid explanation such as staff illness/accident or other such 'family crisis', etc. That doesn't help you if you've planned a special journey there though, so I can understand you feeling a bit cheesed off. How much earlier than 'advertised' did they shut?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    steveo_mcg likes this.
  14. Woodsy

Woodsy POTY Winner 2009

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Oh only about 15 mins or so, but still, if I knew what I wanted, or saw something nice, that’s enough to make a sale. I take your point about mitigating circumstances though.

I don’t take the point about business being slow at that time however. If that’s the case, and it’s consistent, change the standard times of opening.

15. Craigus

Craigus

Name:
    Craig
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    They're pretty overpriced though I've found.

16. Mr Badger

Mr Badger

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Unless there were some mitigating circumstances I think 15 mins or so is pushing it a bit. Did you check it wasn't half day closing or something like that? If it wasn't then perhaps send 'head office' a brief email and ask a) were they aware of this, and b) why this was? For instance, if I were running a business and my staff had left earlier than they were supposed to, then I'd want to know about it so I could find out why - if that's what had happened.

17. GeeJay57

GeeJay57

Name:
    Glenn
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I got a great deal from them on a new Sigma 300mm f/2.8 prime some years ago. They were great to deal with, but it was a telephone sale.

18. gramps

gramps

Edit My Images:
    No
    They are 'Head Office' :)

19. Mr Badger

Mr Badger

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Sorry, I meant the office/management side of the operation rather than the sales department.

20. Nod

Nod Kronus

Name:
    Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Front desk is the office/management as well as being sales.

21. MatBin

MatBin

Name:
    matt
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    If it was my business and traffic was slow thereby meaning I wasnt paying my bills etc I think I'd stay open longer rather than shut early so as to maximise my sales opportunities, maybe that's just me though.

22. Nod

Nod Kronus

Name:
    Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Two or three possibilities occur to me as to why they closed early. They're a single, family owned business rather than a big chain employer so it's entirely possible that there was a family emergency that called them away from the shop necessitating early closure. All the staff may have been busy attending to other customers - much as we'd like to be the centre of the known universe, we're not and a customer in the shop will (or should, IMO) take precedence over a ringing phone. I know they've been robbed in the past too but that's a bit unlikely - I think it would have made the local news and I've heard nothing.

23. dcash29

dcash29

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    It was only suggestion.
    However neither posters intended to make a purchase, so the shop really lost nothing but gained a slagging off without knowing the reasons why they closed early.
    Whereas when I wished to make a purchase from a local shop that's 35 minutes away. I telephoned to check stock and opening times, they made a sale.

24. simon ess

simon ess Keeper of The List

Edit My Images:
    No
    If a shop advertises they are open 'till 5, and I arrive at 4.45, and they are shut, I will be very annoyed and will slag them off...

Unless...

There is a big sign in the window stating the reason for the early closure, with an apology.

Communication is everything.

One thing it is absolutely not, is my fault for not phoning to check.

gramps likes this.
  25. dcash29

dcash29

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Again you know not the facts, which is rather annoying too. Lets say it was an emergency, would you stop to write a sign, I think not!

Has the OP telephoned the shop and found out why they were closed yet, its been 5 days now?

Then and only then a rant is valid.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018