Might be worth holding off installing Catalina.

On a more cheerful note (for me ;)) last night‘s updates to macOS, iOS, iPadOS have started my Notes app syncing between iCloudOS (ie in browser), macOS and iPadOS but so far not on iOS* but maybe it’ll catch up :).

* I am currently getting those annoying superfluous requests to sign in with my Apple ID on the iPhone which is a known oldish problem with no known specific solution so that may be why iOS is behaving differently.

On a more cheerful note (for me ;)) last night‘s updates to macOS, iOS, iPadOS have started my Notes app syncing between iCloudOS (ie in browser), macOS and iPadOS but so far not on iOS* but maybe it’ll catch up :).

* I am currently getting those annoying superfluous requests to sign in with my Apple ID on the iPhone which is a known oldish problem with no known specific solution so that may be why iOS is behaving differently.
Reinstalled my iPhone from scratch and it is now syncing (as judged by tests with Notes app). So, fingers crossed, everything is syncing.

Maybe it wasn’t the updates but just time. Apparently something of the order of 500M phones are now on iOS 13 and this was presumably more complicated than usual with the launch of iPadOS 13.

Reinstalled my iPhone from scratch and it is now syncing (as judged by tests with Notes app). So, fingers crossed, everything is syncing.

Maybe it wasn’t the updates but just time. Apparently something of the order of 500M phones are now on iOS 13 and this was presumably more complicated than usual with the launch of iPadOS 13.
Yes, they threw in a load of o/s updates in a very short timescale.

Updated last week - I'm normally a six months late updater - but apart from having to upgrade to PhotoMechanic 6 (which i don't resent at all - most useful software I've ever used) everything has been fine.

Photoshop and all other Creative Cloud software working as expected

Last edited:
Cannot see me upgrading to Catalina after looking at the whats new features. There is nothing that I would use, my computer is solid as a rock and I want to keep it that way. If the time comes in the future when I "have" to upgrade then so be it, but for now Mojave does everything I want it to do and very well at that.

Yes, I run FileMaker 15 and no intention to upgrade so I run it in a virtual machine in Parallels (could use free VirtualBox) and also on dual boot and an old Windows machine for ‘backup/security’. I’ll probably do that with Aperture too, just in case.

Wait what? Don't Apple still own Filemaker? And they wrote Aperture. So now they are breaking their own software?

That's the kind of crazy stuff that drove me away from PCs a l-o-n-g time ago. I really expect my next box to run some flavour of Windoze :(

Wait what? Don't Apple still own Filemaker? And they wrote Aperture. So now they are breaking their own software?

That's the kind of crazy stuff that drove me away from PCs a l-o-n-g time ago. I really expect my next box to run some flavour of Windoze :(
Yes, to be precise Apple took it back in house some years ago. It is cross platform (Windows & Mac). FileMaker needs much more infrequent upgrades to keep working on Windows than on Mac, it is annoying . Also the tablet version, FileMaker Go (free and works excellently on the same files as the desktop) is iOS only so Windows users are stuffed — it may work on some Windows tablets but that is not clear.

Yes, to be precise Apple took it back in house some years ago. It is cross platform (Windows & Mac). FileMaker needs much more infrequent upgrades to keep working on Windows than on Mac, it is annoying . Also the tablet version, FileMaker Go (free and works excellently on the same files as the desktop) is iOS only so Windows users are stuffed — it may work on some Windows tablets but that is not clear.

Genuinely it's almost like Apple hate their customers.

Meanwhile M$ Visual Studio runs beautifully on my Mac, M$ Office isn't too bad (unless you know the PC version well) and even heavyweight stuff like Sql Server runs in a Docker Container.

Genuinely it's almost like Apple hate their customers.

Meanwhile M$ Visual Studio runs beautifully on my Mac, M$ Office isn't too bad (unless you know the PC version well) and even heavyweight stuff like Sql Server runs in a Docker Container.
I think the problem is that historically Apple wanted to give customers things they didn’t know they wanted — Steve Jobs said as much. The biggest example was the iPhone which introduced the “interface that changed with the application”, much mocked after the launch. Nobody was complaining that the buttons on their phone didn’t change! (https://thenextweb.com/apple/2015/09/09/genius-annotated-with-genius/ ). But I think that blinds them to seeking customer feedback, or at least they don’t explain why they can’t/wont do things. To take a small example the current Apple Pages can’t do mail merge which was particularly neatly done on the previous version. Maybe they can’t do it because of compatibility with the web version but they could say. A number of other features were inexplicably lost (2 page display) too. FileMaker Pro suffers in the same way.

It's important to remember that Apple are a hardware manufacturer, and the software is there to sell the hardware. There's also been the suggestion that they want to phase out laptops and desktops computers in favour of tablets (higher margins) and because of that they have really taken their eye off the ball regarding other aspects of their business or have deliberately degraded performance.

Certainly the ethos seems very different from the early 90s, when they were one of the 'good guys'.

It's important to remember that Apple are a hardware manufacturer, and the software is there to sell the hardware. There's also been the suggestion that they want to phase out laptops and desktops computers in favour of tablets (higher margins) and because of that they have really taken their eye off the ball regarding other aspects of their business or have deliberately degraded performance.

Certainly the ethos seems very different from the early 90s, when they were one of the 'good guys'.
There are no ‘good guys’ ... ‘it’s only business‘ , quoting the Don, no not that one, Don Corleone ... on the other hand ;).

I think the problem is that historically Apple wanted to give customers things they didn’t know they wanted — Steve Jobs said as much. The biggest example was the iPhone which introduced the “interface that changed with the application”, much mocked after the launch. Nobody was complaining that the buttons on their phone didn’t change! (https://thenextweb.com/apple/2015/09/09/genius-annotated-with-genius/ ). But I think that blinds them to seeking customer feedback, or at least they don’t explain why they can’t/wont do things. To take a small example the current Apple Pages can’t do mail merge which was particularly neatly done on the previous version. Maybe they can’t do it because of compatibility with the web version but they could say. A number of other features were inexplicably lost (2 page display) too. FileMaker Pro suffers in the same way.

Some very interesting points. IIRC (and I may be misremembering) the day the iPad was launched a few journalists said "who would want one of those?".

But I think they may miss the unspoken user requirement - we want all that shiny that worked last week to work this week. Next week, too.

Some very interesting points. IIRC (and I may be misremembering) the day the iPad was launched a few journalists said "who would want one of those?".

That's how I felt, and to a large degree still feel. I have a tablet computer for music presentation as a substitute for sheets, but I also remember buying an Android tablet because I was interested to try the idea of such a device (OS makes no difference) and never really finding a use for it. Media consumption device? Sure, but the screen sucks compared to a real computer screen or laptop, and the weight is no big deal - yet consumers bought them by the million, even though they were a poor solution looking for a problem.

That's how I felt, and to a large degree still feel. I have a tablet computer for music presentation as a substitute for sheets, but I also remember buying an Android tablet because I was interested to try the idea of such a device (OS makes no difference) and never really finding a use for it. Media consumption device? Sure, but the screen sucks compared to a real computer screen or laptop, and the weight is no big deal - yet consumers bought them by the million, even though they were a poor solution looking for a problem.
Just because it doesn’t work for you doesn’t mean it’s not good for others. People’s use case varies and denigrating their use of them is not helpful.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
I tried out the Catalina Beta a few months ago and it wouldn’t run some apps and wouldn’t allow LR 6 to run.
Tried the latest Beta release a couple of weeks ago, all the previous problems I had were gone, but stil LR 6.14 wouldn’t run.
Strangely, LR 5.( I think)7 runs perfectly, but of course won’t work with my LR 6 image library.

Just because it doesn’t work for you doesn’t mean it’s not good for others. People’s use case varies and denigrating their use of them is not helpful.

Edit: typo

Denigrating? Please explain where I did that? I was giving reasons why I agreed with the 'journalists' you mentioned.

Denigrating? Please explain where I did that? I was giving reasons why I agreed with the 'journalists' you mentioned.
Not going to get into an argument over this as I mostly agree with opinions. But, since you asked, this sentence is a minor put-down of tablet users “yet consumers bought them by the million, even though they were a poor solution looking for a problem” ;).
It’s true I think your experience was with an Android tablet rather than an iPad and I’ve struggled to find my way around Androids when friends have asked for my help so I couldn’t comment on them ;).
My experience, an from what I read online, is that for those that use iPads they have become their most liked device and I think for most people more useful than a laptop/desktop. Of course many can get by with just a phone these days but I think they are too small for some things/people . now folding phones could be a different matter :D but not yet. Actually I fancy a phone cross tablet that rolls up like a papyrus scroll -- maybe doubles as a monopod?.

It’s true I think your experience was with an Android tablet rather than an iPad and I’ve struggled to find my way around Androids when friends have asked for my help so I couldn’t comment on them ;).

TBH I'd have felt exactly the same way with an iDevice, and I'm quite comfy with Android. There are 2 things I want a tablet for 1) music presentation as mentioned already and 2) as an electronic access point for files on a network when I'm walking round. For watching films, surfing etc they work, but are less than ideal, yet people bought them anyway and as you point out, apparently like them best. If you think that's a put-down then there's nothing I can do to help.

No issues new MacBook Pro. Which I should add flies along with impressive battery life. Used 10% in the same time my other one uses 70%. not sure how much that is down to software or new hard ware yet. But the i9 is one rapid beast. But I shall find out in bit as upgrading that now that all my software has updates.

Last edited:
Seems most of it is weather you got a good install or not. I am now upgraded on 2 MacBooks iPhone and Mac mini, just the iPad running iOS 12. All good so far. Although my old still running hot doing nothing but browsing the web.

Last edited:
if its working and you don't want any of the "updates" leave well alone, we have seen quite a few issues lately with our Macs, three of them no longer support dual display.

It’s probably already been posted but for those that like Aperture here is a fix.

https://SPAM/@cormiertyshawn895/how-to-run-aperture-and-iphoto-on-macos-catalina-46a86d028b87

Back