Might be worth holding off installing Catalina.

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
Just seen on The Register an article suggesting problems with Adobe apps, and not just older 32bit versions

I'm having a mare, my HD is Mac Journaled format. So can't install Catalina.

So I converted it it to APFS, and then it wouldn't boot. So I've had to restore from a time machine backup which is...Mac OS Journaled.

I installed Catalina first thing this morning and have been using Lightroom Classic all day long since. It’s working fine here and running like a dream.

I'm sticking with High Sierra for the moment. I can't see any obvious reasons to change. BTW: when I saw the title of this conversation I immediately thought of the rather handsome WWII amphibian of the same name...

Panasonic G9 8GB 06 P1010606.JPG

Of course, Catalina won't run Aperture at all!

It also won't run peripherals (including some scanners) that use 32-bit drivers. Someone I know has tested and EpsonScan didn't work, nor did Silverfast with a Plustek scanner.

Vuescan is 64 bit but I don't know whether the drivers have all been made 64 bit. I still have my canon and minolta scanners. I'm not risking losing access to those to find out!

I normally update Mac OS when it's got to about 6 months in if it's a bit ropey. A few I've updated the week before the new one comes out so I have the most mature old one. A few I've done the week they came out. There's not been an issue with the majority of them at all.

It should have been moaning about incompatible apps in High Sierra as the old adobe installer isn't compatible. I've used that instead of the cloud one as the cloud one was cack.

Vuescan still works on my Epson V500 with Catalina. For now. Touch wood. Mind you, the scanner's been getting a bit cranky for a year or so.

If you are on APFS file system it’s easy to install Catalina on a separate volume and dual boot to try it out. Personally I’m keen to upgrade ASAP to see if it solves the various syncing and compatibility problems with eg Reminders and emails.
(I use Reminders a lot and the old and new versions don’t connect. In fact it’s worse than that since if you upgrade any device to iOS 13 all your reminders are deleted from older iOS/macOS versions! The iOS 13 Mail apps work but are slow to download/sync/showin conversations. It’s definitely something wrong with Mail because Outlook works perfectly on the same devices!)

I didn't do the upgrade procedure for reminders etc I don't think. Them not syncing with the desktop is common. They're always cocking that up.

I didn't do the upgrade procedure for reminders etc I don't think. Them not syncing with the desktop is common. They're always cocking that up.
Actually I’ve always found Reminders (etc) synced perfectly desktop/iPad(s)/iPhone(s) and it was more than just not syncing — they were completely deleted from the older version and only appeared in the new. Reminders in iOS 13 is essentially a new app.
FWIW, now I’ve got Apple Mail only on iPadOS 13, iOS 13 and Catalina it seems to be working properly as it used to do, only time will tell if it’s OK now :(.

When I checked my Mac for “Legacy software” everything that came up was Adobe. Which is disappointing, considering they are the only company I have to pay monthly for their “latest software”.

A few weeks ago I had an email from Datacolor saying that I would need to upgrade my Spyder calibration thing as that was 32bit only.

Cult of Mac has got a list of 235 apps that won't work

Cult of Mac

(full list in the link)

I run an app based on Filemaker that holds a ton of pottery glazes that has failed before on upgrade so I maintain a very old computer as a legacy brick to run that one piece of software.

Cult of Mac has got a list of 235 apps that won't work

Cult of Mac

(full list in the link)

I run an app based on Filemaker that holds a ton of pottery glazes that has failed before on upgrade so I maintain a very old computer as a legacy brick to run that one piece of software.
Yes, I run FileMaker 15 and no intention to upgrade so I run it in a virtual machine in Parallels (could use free VirtualBox) and also on dual boot and an old Windows machine for ‘backup/security’. I’ll probably do that with Aperture too, just in case.

So I converted it it to APFS, and then it wouldn't boot. So I've had to restore from a time machine backup which is...Mac OS Journaled.

After more messing around, it seems short of a full wipe. I'll not be using Catalina. Shame as I really wanted to use the Sidecar feature.

my golden rule is.

wait at least 4-6 weeks before upgrading software, allow bugs to be sorted first (y)

If you've still got that 2012 Mac Mini, it wouldn't work anyway. Seems you need a 6th gen/Skylake CPU for the hardware HEVC support.

Yes, I run FileMaker 15 and no intention to upgrade so I run it in a virtual machine in Parallels (could use free VirtualBox) and also on dual boot and an old Windows machine for ‘backup/security’. I’ll probably do that with Aperture too, just in case.

Yes, I can also run a version of the FileMaker based app in Windows under Parallels but have not need able to transfer the database from a Mac to a PC version and vice versa so am stuck

my golden rule is.

wait at least 4-6 weeks before upgrading software, allow bugs to be sorted first (y)

Me too

And although I've seen this 'warning' elsewhere re Adobe, loads of folk have replied to those places sayings all works just fine

I'll give it a few weeks anyway, just in case

Dave

Yes, I can also run a version of the FileMaker based app in Windows under Parallels but have not need able to transfer the database from a Mac to a PC version and vice versa so am stuck
I guess the difference is that you are running a FileMaker “solution” rather than FileMaker itself. The FileMaker app licence allows use natively on Mac and Windows, no need for Parallels Though the apps are separate downloads of course.
Usually the database doesn’t need any change or conversion to run on Mac or Windows, it’s the same file — though some feature work on one OS and not on the other.
I wonder if you have an iPad and would it run on FileMaker Go? Obviously only try on a copy of the file!

Last edited:
Phew! Mojave wouldn't install for me previously coming from High Sierra, external SSD for OS and Apps Journaled but Catalina installed okay, not sure if this may be the fix but unplug all your drives except your system disk before you install.

Mate I just updated from a journaled external OS ssd, did you have any SSDs or other HDD/SD drives connected at the time? BTW upon finishing install my SSD is now APFS so it converted automatically.

Last edited:
Mate I just updated from a journaled external OS ssd, did you have any SSDs or other HDD/SD drives connected at the time? BTW upon finishing install my SSD is now APFS so it converted automatically.

I've got a External (Mac OS Journaled Drive connected)

my golden rule is.

When I moved up from Leopard to SnowLeopard 6 months after the upgrade was released it still broke a lot of things (printing, output to an external monitor) to the point I had to revert after a couple of weeks. I think the tip from Suz about upgrading as a new release is coming out was a good one, though even then you can't be sure. IIRC the Macbook is running Yosemite now, which was the last update it could take.

Catalina still needs a lot of work, it's pretty buggy by all accounts with a lot of people having instability issues with sidecar, incompatibility issues and general crashing, even Apples own apps are causing problems.

You know it's bad when it's being compared to Vista by the public!

Maybe leave it for a few months and wait for the incremental updates to be released first, as well as the Adobe fixes

With an unintentional update, goodness knows how I managed that one but hey oh and all that.

I use a wacom table alongside the keyboard, started off fine the the tablet decided to crash, and bit of a faff around trying to get it working again, the checking how to roll back to Mojove only to find it not quite as simple as I thought. so last ditch attempt to get the drivers to work. I decided to uninstall my wacom tablet again, and install from fresh. So far ut seem to be working ok...

Haven't had a chance to check any other software, Lightroom, Photoshop

The only software I'm rather concerned about is my spyder/ profile maker and my scanner. eek

I have updated my Mac Mini there running fine, on my machine.

not every app works but for me every adobe app works fine. FoCal for example doesn't open. But they have an update out that i haven't tried yet.

if you use any kind of synchronisation between various Apple devices (macs, iPhones, iPads) you need to hold off installing Catalina or iOS13 on ANY of them. Standalone apps seem to work fine (or not at all, Aperture etc).
if you upgrade on any one device it will break the syncing, at least between Apple apps. So far, in my experience this applies to Mail (which is OK but slow to update) Reminders, Notes, Photos. Calendar appears to be OK. Photos is differently affected, a System library of 15K on the Mac has become 20K on all mobile devices, AFAICS by multiple duplications of images, though to be fair all the iOS devices show the same total.

if you use any kind of synchronisation between various Apple devices (macs, iPhones, iPads) you need to hold off installing Catalina or iOS13 on ANY of them. Standalone apps seem to work fine (or not at all, Aperture etc).
if you upgrade on any one device it will break the syncing, at least between Apple apps. So far, in my experience this applies to Mail (which is OK but slow to update) Reminders, Notes, Photos. Calendar appears to be OK. Photos is differently affected, a System library of 15K on the Mac has become 20K on all mobile devices, AFAICS by multiple duplications of images, though to be fair all the iOS devices show the same total.
Not at all. My Mac syncs with 2 iPads and 3 iPhones (all IOS13 or iPadOS) and it all works perfectly fine. Aperture was discontinued and unsupported by Apple some years ago, so why should it work?

Just because it may not work for a few people (people always, rightly, complain when something doesn't work but seldom praise when it does) does not mean it is totally broken.

Last edited:
Not at all. My Mac syncs with 2 iPads and 3 iPhones (all IOS13 or iPadOS) and it all works perfectly fine. Aperture was discontinued and unsupported by Apple some years ago, so why should it work?

Just because it may not work for a few people (people always, rightly, complain when something doesn't work but seldom praise when it does) does not mean it is totally broken.
Not complaining about Aperture, just example, could have said 32bit.
I agree about ‘complaints’, often make the same point myself. My point here is that when people say, as you do, ‘all works fine’ it depends what ‘all” means. Everything works fine for me too except the things that don’t and so far I find that people say ‘Oh I never use Photos/Reminders/Notes/Calendar‘ so I’m just saying doesn’t work for me.

Actually I’ve always been a fairly early upgrade (and public beta user) and never had a problem before :mad:.

oh, and as I think I already said, installing iOS 13 public beta on one spare device ‘brokeall the other (iCloud, Mac, iPad, iPhone) unupgraded devices!

Last edited:
IOS13 beta worked for me after installing on only one device and “broke” nothing else. But then that’s the point of Beta testing. I trust you reported it to Apple.
So my personal experience is different to your personal experience. Just saying.

IOS13 beta worked for me after installing on only one device and “broke” nothing else. But then that’s the point of Beta testing. I trust you reported it to Apple.
So my personal experience is different to your personal experience. Just saying.
Did you install the beta on a device with the same Apple ID as your others? There has never (AFAIK) been a warning not to do that. What happened to Reminders when you did that? Reminders is a completely new app so it was not entirely surprising it did not sync but was surprising that it broke (ie ’wiped clean’) all the other old copies.

I think the reason I am banging on about here is it that I agree about ‘personal experience’ but in the examples I’ve given it seems like more of a systemic problem involving synchronisation via iCloud.

Reported, yes.

Did you install the beta on a device with the same Apple ID as your others? There has never (AFAIK) been a warning not to do that. What happened to Reminders when you did that? Reminders is a completely new app so it was not entirely surprising it did not sync but was surprising that it broke (ie ’wiped clean’) all the other old copies.

I think the reason I am banging on about here is it that I agree about ‘personal experience’ but in the examples I’ve given it seems like more of a systemic problem involving synchronisation via iCloud.

Reported, yes.
Yes, it was on the same Apple ID (I use the same across all devices, for better or worse!). As far as I can remember Reminders on all the iOS devices worked fine with the then-Mojave iMac.

But I agree iCloud can sometimes, randomly, be flaky, even when using full production software.

Just for clarification I never install Beta software on my main, iMac, machine. Just on one of my iPads.

AAAaaaa!!!!

I already installed it :crying:

Back