Beginner Mike Browne 7 building blocks of photography

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I was wondering if any one had done this course, I like his videos on you-tube so was temped. But before I shell out £77.77 on the course I was wondering if any one else has done it.

I don't need technical tuition, but I would like some guidance on composition and 'how to think' like a photographer which is what he promises.

Thanks

Jon

Not sure about the course itself but I think you may have missed the boat. It was on the 7th of July.

I was joking. 7th of July. As in 07/07.

pocquet,

I have actually purchased and completed the 7 Building Blocks course. I can wholeheartedly recommend the course for you IF you are serious about improving your photography. Mike will make you *think* about what you are doing with your camera. I truly enjoyed both the video and written portions of the course. The exercises are the key. It's one thing to watch a video of some guy blathering about with his camera. When you actually get out there with yours, it comes alive.

Before you purchase this course, I do recommend that you hop over to Mike Browne's YouTube channel and watch the free videos. This will not only give you the basics that we all need, but gives you a great flavor of Mike's teaching style. I'm in the States and I find Mike quite entertaining and instructive. After all, we mostly speak the same language!

Now, I do not work for Mike, nor have I ever met him except through the internet in brief exchanges. I say that because he's not paying me to say this: You need to take this course if you are serious about improving your photography. Mike is also offering a more than your money back guarantee for those of you living in the UK, if you don't like the course, he'll even give you a free lesson with him one on one.

I have to admit, I wonder if I told him now that I hated the course, if He'd come to Atlanta and give me a one on one training? Hmmm...

Very interesting and full of information. I am half way through. Learning lots of new ways to approach a shoot and plenty of links to all the techy stuff I thought I knew but sometimes need to refresh.

pocquet,

I have actually purchased and completed the 7 Building Blocks course. I can wholeheartedly recommend the course for you IF you are serious about improving your photography. Mike will make you *think* about what you are doing with your camera. I truly enjoyed both the video and written portions of the course. The exercises are the key. It's one thing to watch a video of some guy blathering about with his camera. When you actually get out there with yours, it comes alive.

Before you purchase this course, I do recommend that you hop over to Mike Browne's YouTube channel and watch the free videos. This will not only give you the basics that we all need, but gives you a great flavor of Mike's teaching style. I'm in the States and I find Mike quite entertaining and instructive. After all, we mostly speak the same language!

Now, I do not work for Mike, nor have I ever met him except through the internet in brief exchanges. I say that because he's not paying me to say this: You need to take this course if you are serious about improving your photography. Mike is also offering a more than your money back guarantee for those of you living in the UK, if you don't like the course, he'll even give you a free lesson with him one on one.

I have to admit, I wonder if I told him now that I hated the course, if He'd come to Atlanta and give me a one on one training? Hmmm...

What Dave said is so true. And you said you like Mike's YouTube channel, so what do you have to lose?

Monster purchase, consider it an investment not a cost because that is what it is. Bought it, loved it and think I am a better photographer because of it. Stop dithering, get yer credit card out, its worth every penny.

Does it not seem strange that all these people praising this course have all only just joined this forum today and these are their first posts ?........or perhaps its all a coincidence

Does it not seem strange that all these people praising this course have all only just joined this forum today and these are their first posts ?........or perhaps its all a coincidence

I bet if admin checked the IP addresses of the new members it would tell a story. Maybe do it once, but to do it so many times with so little time in between is just plain stupid. Certainly put me off buying it now!

Actually what Mike did was to put a link to your post on his facebook page and asked anyone that had purchased his 7 course to pop in and give you there honest opinion on it so as to help you out. Yes I suppose it was a bit of self promoting in it as well but other than actually posting himself I think he was just trying to get you what you asked for ie feedback on the 7 course. By the way im here because of that post he put up but Ive only seen his free Youtube stuff so I cant comment on that course but the free stuff is great and helped me know end.

I seems that Mike has simply asked his facebook community to post their views based on their experience of the course, hence all the new members. Seems pretty legit to me.

I can't comment on this particular course, but I really enjoyed his free YouTube videos. He explains things in a clear, non jargon, non techy way.

I've not seen this course before, but now it's come to my attention, I may well buy it myself.

I have done Mike's course and seen most of his free YouTube videos as well.

I have learnt so much from him and would fully recommended him and his teaching methods.

As other posters have said, Mike asked people on his Facebook page to come and give an honest opinion for the original poster and it seems that is exactly what they have done.

Oh, and I'm not new here today!

If you like him and learn from his free videos then drop the bomb and go for it!

I personally can't stand the guy. Nothing wrong with him, his way of teaching or his photography but he just annoys me. (No offence Mike if you're reading this!)

My post was an honest assessment written by someone who spent the money and took the course. I do not work for Mike and I live in the United States. I was simply responding to a request to help the poster with a review of the course. It's a shame that society in general has become so cynical and suspecting that just trying to help someone with an answer to their question raises "suspicions" of ulterior motives and disingenuous intent. I still stand by my review of the course. I hope that Jon now has enough information to make a decision on whether or not to purchase the course.

To the forum in general and the administrators of this forum, If I have in any way offended anyone or violated the terms of service, I apologize.

To the negative Nelly's - I hope that you find something meaningful and fulfilling in your life that allows to move beyond your puerile insecurities and enjoy the fullness of life that surrounds you.

Peace out.

To the negative Nelly's - I hope that you find something meaningful and fulfilling in your life that allows to move beyond your puerile insecurities and enjoy the fullness of life that surrounds you.

Really? Because a couple of people spent a few seconds questioning what looked exactly like commercial spamming - they suffer puerile insecurities and an empty and meaningless life? If only they blindly handed cash over to strangers - oh! Life would be so good!

To the original poster:
I hope you got enough advice already, but just in case you've still not made your mind up.. In my opinion, the course is definitely worth it. I have previously bought an online photo course from another well known photographer that cost considerably more only to be disappointed as the photographer mostly just demonstrated his techniques without very much else...
Mike's "7 Building Blocks of Photography" course is a little different in that it is a real course - complete with weekly excercises..
He concentrates a lot on the thought processes behind making a good image - not just which shutter speed/aperture/ISO combination to use... hopefully you can/will then use this to improve your own photos. I've personally found the course very helpful..
If you just want to know the technical stuff then you can't go wrong with Mike's free youtube videos, as you're already aware he explains things in a fun and easy to understand manner.
The decision is entirely yours ;)

The following is written without meaning to cause offence to anyone:

@parhole4, WelshNoob & Jayst84: I've been a member on several other forums for some time - one or two for several years (not Photography related), and I'm saddened by the speed at which suspicions/accusations of "commercial spamming" are levied on forums today.. It is a shame that when someone asks for help/advice after only 5 answers someone reacts with "isn't it funny that..." Well, Welshnoob, it's my guess that, were the moderators/admins to check the IP's of the posters they would indeed all be different.. Don't let someone's unfounded suspicions put you off buying the course (although I suspect you had no intention of buying it, really ;);))

@Jayst84: Why do people pay for photography courses? Well, in my case, it's because at my age and with my lifestyle I don't have the time to hunt all round the internet to discover all the things necessary to make a good image ;) (I'd rather be out there practising my photography..)
yeah, you can find all about aperture/shutter speed/ISO, etc. fairly quickly - but as I'm sure you'd agree, there's a whole lot more to getting really good/interesting photos than that...

Best Regards
Baldy.

oooops sorry think I have entered the 'classified' section :whistle:

oooops sorry think I have entered the 'classified' section :whistle:
Hmm... if by "classified section" you mean a place where people have entered their personal opinion/review of 1 single product, when requested by another forum user, then yes, I guess you have...
Your post Bobby is exactly the sort of thing that saddens me about web forums today (no offence intended)...
Baldy ;)

Hmm... if by "classified section" you mean a place where people have entered their personal opinion/review of 1 single product, when requested by another forum user, then yes, I guess you have...
Your post Bobby is exactly the sort of thing that saddens me about web forums today (no offence intended)...
Baldy ;)
I get that, but i just feel as though you join these forums to get to know and trust people by the amount of effort and time that they take to respond and interact with other users, and to then be bombarded by opinions by people that have just joined is a bit off!!
Again no offence intended just my opinion.

I get that, but i just feel as though you join these forums to get to know and trust people by the amount of effort and time that they take to respond and interact with other users, and to then be bombarded by opinions by people that have just joined is a bit off!!
Again no offence intended just my opinion.
Hmm.. everyone's posts are only their opinion, why shouldn't my first post be about something which I have purchased in answer to a direct question from the original poster? I think it's irrelevant whether it's my first post or my 1000th..
I'd hardly call a dozen or so posts being "bombarded" and nobody makes you read them ;) ;)

Anyway, let's not hijack the thread any further.. Hopefully the OP has enough info and answers to their original question to make their decision ;)
Baldy.

Coincidence! ;) or ...

Mike's "7 Building Blocks of Photography" course is a little different in that it is a real course - complete with weekly excercises..

Having exercices to do is probably what I need at the moment for my learning process (and maybe one reason why some people are ready to pay some money for photography lesson.
I am just wondering if they are exercises to be sent out and marked, and if yes who marked them?
Also, an other concern is, is the course a paid version of Mike's free videos?

No the exercises are for you to complete. No one marks them, it's just putting what you're shown into practice and it builds week on week. It's not the same as the free videos but I found it helpful to refer back to some of them at times.

Hi,

I was wondering if any one had done this course, I like his videos on you-tube so was temped. But before I shell out £77.77 on the course I was wondering if any one else has done it.

I don't need technical tuition, but I would like some guidance on composition and 'how to think' like a photographer which is what he promises.

Thanks

Jon

Try this, it's free:- http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/

Tons of free stuff on the net for the basics. I've found that books have been the most help for more advanced information. If anything, too much on the net is aimed at beginners.

Back