Daily MikeH's 365

Edit My Images
Yes
Having been into photography for quite a while, I noticed a distinct lack of photos other than ones of my daughter. It got me thinking that if I actually got my camera a bit more often, I might actually improve!

So, my cure for that was a Project 365. I didn't want to limit myself with a theme, I just wanted to get a no-so-awful photo each day that I had to put a bit of thought in to and opt for something challenging where possible.

Day 1 - I went out to find stormy pictures only to find everything had calmed down, not a great start to my 365!

Day 1
by mikehiow, on Flickr

Day 2 - Undeterred by the previous day, I was determined to get something stormy. This time I got a bit imaginative and played with long exposures and remote flash.

Day 2
by mikehiow, on Flickr

Day 3 - A long day at work limited my options, but seeing the slipway flooded presented what looked like quite an interesting photo opportunity. I would have liked more colour, though.

Day 3
by mikehiow, on Flickr

Day 4 - I wanted to do some interesting pics with the little one on a rainy evening, so I chucked the 10-22 and flash on the camera and got her to bounce on the bed - a really tough one to shoot!

Day4
by mikehiow, on Flickr

Day 5 - Bembridge Lifeboat Station was kind of an afterthought, a kind of "Oh crap, I haven't done a picture today" come 10PM.

Day5
by mikehiow, on Flickr

Name
Mandy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello and welcome to the nutty corner great start to your 365 challenge and good luck with the rest off it.

I like the idea of day 2 hope you didn't get to wet with all that water splashing about. I like the composition of day 5, I look forward to following you throughout the rest off your challenge.

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Really like day 5 Mike, nice work. What are the lights on the horizon?
Good luck with the rest of the challenge, i will try to pop in occasionally.

OP
mikehiow
Edit My Images
Yes
Day 7

Again, I think taking pictures of the little one is a really tough one - fast lenses make focussing difficult with her constantly running around and slow lenses create motion blur issues. I probably took around 50 photos over the evening, but I chose this because of the sense of action it gave me.

Project 365 - Day 7
by mikehiow, on Flickr

Name
Mandy
Edit My Images
Yes
Nice image your exif is showing it was shot at 1/30 good image for that speed, I love the way little one is laying on the floor without a care in the world. I am sure that under all them jigsaw pieces there's a very cheeky grin hiding.

OP
mikehiow
Edit My Images
Yes
Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments :)

I got today's really early for once, I noticed this scene whilst driving and had to pull over. It didn't quite turn out how I wanted - it's a little over-exposed and I probably should have taken the time to get the tripod out for a few exposures to blend, but for the most part, I like the end result :)

Day 10

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Pretty good landscape but the star trails a cracker, it's on my to do list this year to get a decent one :clap:

OP
mikehiow
Edit My Images
Yes
Day 13

A bit of a boring one this evening, I'm afraid - it's raining and I have absolutely no inclination to get wet tonight!

My little geek corner :)

OP
mikehiow
Edit My Images
Yes
Day 14
Another boring one chaps - I should really look for more inspiration for what I can play with/learn at home!

Last edited:
OP
mikehiow
Edit My Images
Yes
Day 15

I thought I'd try something new. This was quite a learning curve, and wasn't as easy as you might initially think when my camera will only sync 1/200. Any idea what the technique is called (if it has a name)? I feel like I've learnt something, though!

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Great first attempt! It's not easy at all! Took me an age to get something I like when I did it. Like anything once you get the technique right it gets easier. Not sure that there is a name for it..... Or atleast I've not come across one, I've called it isolating the background.

Name
Mandy
Edit My Images
Yes
Good first attempt I like the choice of flowers used for this I am viewing on my iPad and it looks dark to me but I like the composition of the image. I have tried a I age off this kind so I can't really over any constructive crit.