Daily MikeH's 365

Edit My Images
Yes
Having been into photography for quite a while, I noticed a distinct lack of photos other than ones of my daughter. It got me thinking that if I actually got my camera a bit more often, I might actually improve!

So, my cure for that was a Project 365. I didn't want to limit myself with a theme, I just wanted to get a no-so-awful photo each day that I had to put a bit of thought in to and opt for something challenging where possible.

Day 1 - I went out to find stormy pictures only to find everything had calmed down, not a great start to my 365!

Day 1
by mikehiow, on Flickr

Day 2 - Undeterred by the previous day, I was determined to get something stormy. This time I got a bit imaginative and played with long exposures and remote flash.

Day 2
by mikehiow, on Flickr

Day 3 - A long day at work limited my options, but seeing the slipway flooded presented what looked like quite an interesting photo opportunity. I would have liked more colour, though.

Day 3
by mikehiow, on Flickr

Day 4 - I wanted to do some interesting pics with the little one on a rainy evening, so I chucked the 10-22 and flash on the camera and got her to bounce on the bed - a really tough one to shoot!

Day4
by mikehiow, on Flickr

Day 5 - Bembridge Lifeboat Station was kind of an afterthought, a kind of "Oh crap, I haven't done a picture today" come 10PM.

Day5
by mikehiow, on Flickr

Hello and welcome to the nutty corner great start to your 365 challenge and good luck with the rest off it.

I like the idea of day 2 hope you didn't get to wet with all that water splashing about. I like the composition of day 5, I look forward to following you throughout the rest off your challenge.

Really like day 5 Mike, nice work. What are the lights on the horizon?
Good luck with the rest of the challenge, i will try to pop in occasionally.

Day 7

Again, I think taking pictures of the little one is a really tough one - fast lenses make focussing difficult with her constantly running around and slow lenses create motion blur issues. I probably took around 50 photos over the evening, but I chose this because of the sense of action it gave me.

Project 365 - Day 7
by mikehiow, on Flickr

Nice image your exif is showing it was shot at 1/30 good image for that speed, I love the way little one is laying on the floor without a care in the world. I am sure that under all them jigsaw pieces there's a very cheeky grin hiding.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments :)

I got today's really early for once, I noticed this scene whilst driving and had to pull over. It didn't quite turn out how I wanted - it's a little over-exposed and I probably should have taken the time to get the tripod out for a few exposures to blend, but for the most part, I like the end result :)

Day 10

Day 13

A bit of a boring one this evening, I'm afraid - it's raining and I have absolutely no inclination to get wet tonight!

My little geek corner :)

Day 14
Another boring one chaps - I should really look for more inspiration for what I can play with/learn at home!

Last edited:
Day 15

I thought I'd try something new. This was quite a learning curve, and wasn't as easy as you might initially think when my camera will only sync 1/200. Any idea what the technique is called (if it has a name)? I feel like I've learnt something, though!

Great first attempt! It's not easy at all! Took me an age to get something I like when I did it. Like anything once you get the technique right it gets easier. Not sure that there is a name for it..... Or atleast I've not come across one, I've called it isolating the background.

Good first attempt I like the choice of flowers used for this I am viewing on my iPad and it looks dark to me but I like the composition of the image. I have tried a I age off this kind so I can't really over any constructive crit.

Back