Military Helicopters

JPS

Edit My Images
Yes
I was out this afternoon taking some stock shots for a website agency that I upload to, when I heard the whirr of helicopters in the distance. There were two of these choppers following the flow of the River Trent down through north Nottinghamshire. I managed to zoom in the best I could - I was a fair distance away though hence the quality isn't too great.

I'm no good on helicopters, any idea what these ones are?

DSC00854copy.jpg

You see a lot of them down here. They fly up the river Deben at about 3 feet. Quite impressive. Working on trying to find out when and what routes they are flying next to get a day off work and get some photos.

King.

W(estland)AH-64 Apache is the US type, the UK version is Apache AH Mk 1
Slightly diferent build afaik.

W(estland)AH-64 Apache is the US type, the UK version is Apache AH Mk 1
Slightly diferent build afaik.

Sorry but, Westland is building them under licence, US version is Boeing AH-64D Apache Longbow (Longbow being the RADAR dome on top of the rotor mast) , UK version is WAH-64 (W for Westland) or Apache AH MK1 or AH1, even though it is still an Apache Longbow.

Apache Longbow.
We all thought these would be the Army's biggest White Elephant ever.
Afghanistan has proved otherwise.
I speak from personal experience to say that there is a massive boost to one's confidence on the ground hearing the drone of these 'on station' overhead.
And when we did call in TAC-Air on targets, they were on it in seconds, with 3.5" rockets and cannon. Hellfire cost a bit more, so we saved them for special targets. Goats and donkeys mostly.

Amazing machines of war. The gun underneath that follows the pilot's helmet/head turn is really quite impressive! That and the pilot having to learn to see differently with each of their eyes (one eye on the instrumentation in the cockpit and the other eye in the scope that displays what the sensor/camera module at the nose of the Apache sees).

Apache Longbow.
We all thought these would be the Army's biggest White Elephant ever.
Afghanistan has proved otherwise.
I speak from personal experience to say that there is a massive boost to one's confidence on the ground hearing the drone of these 'on station' overhead.
And when we did call in TAC-Air on targets, they were on it in seconds, with 3.5" rockets and cannon. Hellfire cost a bit more, so we saved them for special targets. Goats and donkeys mostly.

Least ours have the best pilots in the world in them, and you stand less chance of "friendly" fire ! :)

LMAO re the goats and donkeys thing :)

Back