Milky way landscapes

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
My first effort to shoot the milky way. I'm now lucky to live in a region with vast areas of un-polluted skies!

I'd appreciate feedback on shooting and processing.

I've already grasped a few learnings. I used a 30 second exposure, which has led to a little star trailing. ISO was 4000, which is noisy, but my widest aperture is 3.5, so it's a bit of a balance but seems to give a good sky.

I've seen some nice / horrendous processing of the milky way with lots of exaggerated colour. I have to say in this case it was a very subtle effect in the sky and I've tried to remain faithful to what I think I saw.

Feedback and advice appreciated. I aim to be back to do this again in this and other locations nearby.

stars and stripes by Alan, on Flickr

light up the sky by Alan, on Flickr

light show by Alan, on Flickr

Not a bad effort at all, that. I've got a night booked in to try some soon.

I like all 3, I think that the first is probably my favourite though.

Been waiting to go out myself but the weather isn't looking great for the next week or so

Excellent ;)

I like all 3 of them.

Makes a nice change to see Milky Way shots more subtly processed.

Not a bad effort at all, that. I've got a night booked in to try some soon.

I like all 3, I think that the first is probably my favourite though.

Been waiting to go out myself but the weather isn't looking great for the next week or so

Excellent ;)

Thanks all. We're back in the uk in 2 weeks in Wales for holidays and I'm planning some excursions for photography. Having done the Milky Way out here I have already checked times and angles and I really hope the UK plays ball with the weather!!!

We'll be near Dolgellau so hoping to do Milky Way over hills and lakes!

Back