Mini D800 review

TonyNI

Suspended / Banned
Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Having owned the camera now for over a week I just thought I would give yous a short real world review on it..

Ergonomics / Build / LCD screen -

Feels abit lighter than my D700, grip is thinner at the bottom, this feels better for me in the short bursts I have been using but I would imagine it may be a little annoying using it all day with heavy lenses. I will most definitely be buying the MB-D12 grip!

The LCD screen is sharp and contrasty, also dims depending on the ambient light (loved this feature on the 5D). However I would advise to take what you see on the LCD with a pinch of salt as motion blur etc or slightly OOF images may appear sharp on the LCD but not on your monitor

Having previously owned the D7000 the new AF mode selector switch is a welcome for switching between AF modes and not having to take my eye away from the viewfinder

In short its built as you would expect it coming in a similar body to that of a D700

Image Quality -

This is where the camera truly shines! ISO - 100-3200 is perfectly usable and considering the staggering MP count this is fantastic. Suits me as I never shoot beyond 3200 ISO

The dynamic range is really in a world of its own. The detail you can pull back out of the shadows without introducing terrible noise is staggering. I think I counted that I was able to pull back about 3-4 stops from being under exposed to a perfectly usable image.

The detail in the images out of this camera will amaze you! My 50mm 1.4G is remarkable at f/1.4 and by f/2.8 its uber sharp

Color such as skin tones are rendered beautifully. No overly harsh magenta to the skin tones that you see on a D7000 camera.

Metering -

For me as I tend to primarily take pictures of people, the new metering system is fantastic. The face recognition incorporated into it is great when using backlight or complicated lighting when taking portraits. This was never a problem on my D700 really either as I just compensated for the backlight. With the D800 you don't need to use it to the same extent!

File Sizes -

In short this is my biggest gripe with the camera but I can live with it

RAW files are just over 75mb and when you open them in photoshop they're around 104mb

The files eat up space like never before. Processing the images on my imac is smooth as butter, however people with older computing hardware may need to take this into account.

I found I was thinking more about the shot as I knew the files would be so large. I only shoot RAW uncompressed but may start shooting JPEG for everyday shots! Using a Sandisk 32GB UHS-1 60meg card I had no lag at all when shooting.

Autofocus -

This is one of the areas I was most concerned about when buying this camera and the sole reason I held off for so long (left side focus issues etc)

I can say this impressed me almost as much as the image quality! It has a superb AF system. I just locks on in any situation. Even the 50mm 1.4G doesnt hestitate (and that includes using outer focus points) it just locks on perfect every time

Even using fully automatic AF(not a mode I ever use but tested it out) when taking pictures of people it magically picks their face and in most instances their eyes!!!

I was close to switching back over to Canon again after getting the D700, yes its a fantastic piece of kit but going from 20 odd megapixels of the mk2 to D700 12mp I was always abit disappointed

The D800, for me is the perfect camera.

I will keep my D700 as I think it compliments the D800 well (8 FPS burst, smaller files etc)

I will update this with sample images ASAP

Hope this helps anyone considering it

Last edited:
Cheers Tony, been told mine is ready to pick up after 2pm tomorrow. My macpro aint getting any newer but should be fine.... apart from that its all plusssses.... I feel work is gonna drag tomorrow. Can't wait. :)

its an absolutely amazing camera. You will love it. I must order a grip for mine and a few extra batteries!

Also forgot to add something I found really useful

Crop modes

1.2X magnification
DX Crop and still 16mp
5X4 square crop

These are brilliant additions usually only seen on the highest end models

Good stuff. I never shoot over 12 bit RAW though, so my files are on average 29mb, I can't see enough difference between those and 14bit uncompressed tbh.

Cagey75 said:
Good stuff. I never shoot over 12 bit RAW though, so my files are on average 29mb, I can't see enough difference between those and 14bit uncompressed tbh.

The difference I would imagine will be in shadow/highlight details. Probably throws more away.

For paid work I'm gonna use full size raws every time! However may use the mode you're talking about for everyday shots. Will have to check and see if there is much difference

Thanks for the report. How do you find the viewfinder and generally the white balance. Do you find that there is any green tinge or green biased?? I am looking to move on from my D300s and looking at the D800 or 5DMK3..

rajp said:
Thanks for the report. How do you find the viewfinder and generally the white balance. Do you find that there is any green tinge or green biased?? I am looking to move on from my D300s and looking at the D800 or 5DMK3..

The viewfinder is bright as you would expect. White balance is certainly much better than the D700. I tend to have the auto set to retain the warm colors warm. I was aware of the green tinge but haven't experienced it. To my knowledge it was just the screen exhibited it.

I tend to set me white manually or on the computer. The auto white balance works really well in challenging light. You should check out cliff mautners blog about it buddy.

I had also considered the mk3 but the D800 is in a league of its own and suits my needs perfectly

The viewfinder is 100% coverage too. The virtual horizon is great through it and works on 2 axis!

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this, I've been researching the iso on the d800 and come across this.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks for posting this, I've been researching the iso on the d800 and come across this.

Cheers

Jim

ISO is a little better than the D700 , which is great performance considering the pixel count. I haven't used 6400 but 3200 is perfectly usable

Love the D800 - but hate the ergonomics. It really is a step down from the D700 and D3. My main gripe is the area where ones right thumb rests, which has no nub to support it - such as the D700. I bought the optional grip - solely for this reason and have never looked back.

The problem with the grip is - it has a different style focus point selector from the camera body, which is difficult to work with when frequently changing from portrait to landscape orientation - one style button to another, both of which serve the same function ... and it is also small and fiddly.

The D4 is the same, but users whinge about the issue there too.

Enjoy your new camera.

I have noticed that Darren but I probably haven't used it enough for it to be an issue. I have just ordered the MB-D12 grip.

I never had the D700 to compare it to. It felt beefy enough for me after having the D90 so long. I bought a third party grip, but just as I did with every other one I bought - used it once, stuck it in the drawer. I just can't get to 'grips' with using one ... aye, I'll get me coat ...

Are WEX reliable? expecting a lens from them tomorrow, after microglobe let me down.

As for the 12 or 14 bit difference. I would only shoot in 12 bit lossless compressed.
The files are 30-36 meg each (ish)
I'm not saying there is no difference, but where would the difference be actually noticeable (real world, not measurebating) .
And going on from this, in what situations, if any are worth shooting in 14?

bought mine from Waitrose.... well that's where im pickin it up tomorrow :) John Lewis price match, so was an ok price with the 70-200.

As for the 12 or 14 bit difference. I would only shoot in 12 bit lossless compressed.
The files are 30-36 meg each (ish)
I'm not saying there is no difference, but where would the difference be actually noticeable (real world, not measurebating) .
And going on from this, in what situations, if any are worth shooting in 14?

Given the D800 is rated to have the best dynamic range of any dslr, I tend to use the highest settings. At the end of the day you may aswell make the camera fire on all cylinders (for professional jobs) as for snapshots I'd be happy with lesser settings

Yep, very reliable and fast shipping pal. What lens did you order?

Good to hear. Ordered the sigma 150mm macro 2.8 OS - sold my 105 + 70-200, lightening the load a bit, the 150 gives what I need from both in one really. Or will once I get a TC for it.

In short this is my biggest gripe with the camera but I can live with it

RAW files are just over 75mb and when you open them in photoshop they're around 104mb

Shoot 14bit lossless compressed... RAW files are 45MB with no loss of quality.. it's lossless compression. No need to put up with 70-80MB RAW files.

Good to hear. Ordered the sigma 150mm macro 2.8 OS - sold my 105 + 70-200, lightening the load a bit, the 150 gives what I need from both in one really. Or will once I get a TC for it.

What made you choose the D800E buddy? I had considered it too, do you have much of an issue with moire?

Shoot 14bit lossless compressed... RAW files are 45MB with no loss of quality.. it's lossless compression. No need to put up with 70-80MB RAW files.[/

If there's no loss of quality why on earth do they even have the option of 75 meg files? Baffles me! If that's the case then ill be using that setting from now on

If there's no loss of quality why on earth do they even have the option of 75 meg files? Baffles me! If that's the case then ill be using that setting from now on

Trust me... no difference whatsoever.

Theoretically, shooting uncompressed can be faster as the image processor doesn't have to compress before writing to the card, but I can't say I can tell the difference in speed.

Quality is identical... it's lossless.

Last edited:
No major reason for me choosing the E, thought it may be a little sharper and it felt a little more 'exclusive' at the time maybe :D There was only one in the store when I went to buy, so I took it. The price difference was less then than it is now though. There was only about €250 in the difference, I think it's more so now?

Never had any moíre issues, it may have shown up on the odd suit at a recent wedding, but nothing the D90 didn't also show up

Trust me... no difference whatsoever.

Theoretically, shooting uncompressed can be faster as the image processor doesn't have to compress before writing to the card, but I can't say I can tell the difference in speed.

Quality is identical... it's lossless.

Brilliant. File size issue solved lol thanks!!

TonyNI said:
The viewfinder is bright as you would expect. White balance is certainly much better than the D700. I tend to have the auto set to retain the warm colors warm. I was aware of the green tinge but haven't experienced it. To my knowledge it was just the screen exhibited it.

I tend to set me white manually or on the computer. The auto white balance works really well in challenging light. You should check out cliff mautners blog about it buddy.

I had also considered the mk3 but the D800 is in a league of its own and suits my needs perfectly

The viewfinder is 100% coverage too. The virtual horizon is great through it and works on 2 axis!

Many thanks for that... Will go and revisit.

I have noticed that Darren but I probably haven't used it enough for it to be an issue. I have just ordered the MB-D12 grip.
Ive got the Meike grip from cam2_uk on Ebay, £40 and its every single bit as good as the silly priced Nikon one

Gary Coyle said:
Ive got the Meike grip from cam2_uk on Ebay, £40 and its every single bit as good as the silly priced Nikon one

It's the Meike one I got Gary. I think vertical grips(genuine ones) are probably the biggest rip off in the dslr business. I don't even think the Nikon one can take double AA batteries

One of the biggest things for me was the all around performance of the sensor. The noise performance walks all over the D700 after scaling to the D700 12MP, and even at full 36MP it's noticeably better, even pushing the D3s to an extent. The dynamic range is best in class and is outstanding - you can underexpose by 3 stops and still have a perfect final image depending on ISO. The colour depth is also best in class. It's a truly brilliant sensor, and most modern high end laptops can handle the files easily enough.

Ksanti said:
One of the biggest things for me was the all around performance of the sensor. The noise performance walks all over the D700 after scaling to the D700 12MP, and even at full 36MP it's noticeably better, even pushing the D3s to an extent. The dynamic range is best in class and is outstanding - you can underexpose by 3 stops and still have a perfect final image depending on ISO. The colour depth is also best in class. It's a truly brilliant sensor, and most modern high end laptops can handle the files easily enough.

Agreed! I'm glad I chose it rather than the 5D mk3.

Last edited:
Before you worship the almighty camera that the d800 is too much, just remember some of us have got to work an 8 hour day before we can get to the shop to pick one up. Knowing its sitting there waiting to be collected its gonna be a painful day :)

idigitize said:
Before you worship the almighty camera that the d800 is too much, just remember some of us have got to work an 8 hour day before we can get to the shop to pick one up. Knowing its sitting here waiting to be collected its gonna be a painful day :)

Lol I feel your pain. I was on holidays from work when I got mine but was bed bound sick when it arrived haha

Enjoy the feeling. It's good to have something to look forward to ;)

I'm awaiting a lens here, i know once it arrives ill have nothing to look forward to for a bit. Well, apart from the return of the other lens I had to send back yesterday.

The time will come. Savour it.

Before you worship the almighty camera that the d800 is too much, just remember some of us have got to work an 8 hour day before we can get to the shop to pick one up. Knowing its sitting there waiting to be collected its gonna be a painful day :)

Did you get the Aperture one? If yes: you *******, I was gonna get that one! :p My 5D has long since paid for itself and the same almost goes for my 85 1.4. My 50's paid for itself but the 24 and 90 not so much. I reckon if I start exploiting my posh git roots, I can probably get a D800 to pay for itself through mahoosive prints to Chelsea parents, but we'll see.

Ben, at least you have something to keep you busy with for the weekend! And it's true, it's good to have something to look forward to!

Jim

Shoot 14bit lossless compressed... RAW files are 45MB with no loss of quality.. it's lossless compression. No need to put up with 70-80MB RAW files.[/

Write speed is the answer to that question - no time spend on compression. Also if the card fails, recovery of the corrupted files is more reliable since there is no compression. With compression (even lossless) a few corrupted bytes can cause a chain reaction and break substantial/noticable portion of the file, with uncompressed, it will be localised to the pixels in those bytes only.

This subject was mulled over on DPReview already and the conclusion was pretty much that if generally you should not have a lot of reasons to shoot RAW uncompressed nowadays but the option is still there for those worried enough to do it. Lossless compression means that the file data can be uncompressed exactly byte to byte matching the original non compressed data. It is the same as say text file on a PC vs text file in a ZIP file.

Last edited:
Right, I'm going to switch to 14bit lossless compressed for a bit. I have the speed on the laptop and plenty of HDD space, don't know what I'm trying to save using 12 bit.

Back