Minolta MD lens to Canon EOS body with adapter blurred focus

Name
Sharon Wallace
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I am looking for some advice. My daughter is just starting to get into Photography and has a Canon EOS 4000D. I have an Minolta X700 SLR with lenses and wanted her to be able to use my lenses on her camera. So bought an adapter ring for MD to EOS which fits, but is very dark through view finder and blurred, am using the camera on manual and its a 28mm lens. Can anyone offer some advice on using MD to EOS for settings etc. I did some photography years ago but never really got to grips with f.stops and speeds, so please if anyone has any advice assume I know nothing!!!! Also I have read about an adapter that has the chip in it to fool the camera into thinking it is a compatible lens, any info would be much appreciated. Many Thanks in advance

Hi and welcome to TP

Firstly, just my take on this bit not from an familiarity or experience.

The EOS lenses are all auto focus type with the aperture controlled electronically from the camera body as well.

Your Minolta lenses are all manual focus with mechanical linkage to set the aperture.

Not all adapters are created equal, but as bare minimum all they do is allow the lens to be mounted. What you seem to be describing is that ~ you need to manually focus the lens and need (?) to manually control the aperture of the lens i.e. make it wide open for manually focusing and then to stop it down as needed when shooting.

I stand to be corrected by my fellow TP members more in the know!

In the meantime, perhaps state the exact make & model of the adaptor and which lenses you are hoping to use?

Thankyou for your reply,
The adapter ring does not have a make on it. purchased from ebay from uk camera equipment, The camera is EOS 4000D and the lens is a 28mm Minolta MD lens. Its just very dark and blurred through view finder, camera set to maual. I have to pop out but will check again this evening for any other updates and advice,
Many Thanks for replying back. and thanks in advance to any advice.:)

As @Box Brownie says, you’ll have to focus at max aperture, it should be ‘usable’.

But frankly using legacy lenses in modern cameras is a hobby in itself that will get in the way of your daughters photography.

A basic kit lens that’ll work perfectly with her camera is less than £50 and should be your first choice.

If you’re really stuck for that cash, consider selling the Minolta gear, it might get more money than you think towards some useful EF lenses.

Thankyou constructive advice, It was a nice thought to try and re use the lenses but selling may be the more pratical answer and yes have been looking to buy lenses for the EOS. Many Thanks.

I might be too late to this to help but as far as I know you need an adapter with a corrective lens in it to use Minolta "MD" lenses on a Canon DSLR. If it doesn't have a lens in it it wont focus to infinity.

I've just checked on evil bay and adapters with a lens in them can be found for about £15 but as Phil says above a modern auto focus lens may be the way to go.

It’s not easy focusing a fast manual lens accurately on modern DSLR camera. The viewfinder isn’t designed for it.(old cameras probably had a split prism focussing screen)It’s best to open the lens up to its maximum aperture and use live view to focus. I found it very cumbersome to do so and that lens sits in the cupboard. As others have said it’s best to get lenses that are designed and built for the EOS mount.

Back