minolta X-700 and delta 3200

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
alright basically i have a X-700 which has a maximum ISO setting of 1600. this is fine but i want to use some more ilford delta 3200 because the harsh contrast and severe grain is just :)

so yeah im pretty sure this will work but i just wanted to check that im not going to waste a film.

i can set the light meter so it meters for 2 stops over exposed which is 2x as much light meaning double 1600 which is 3200. this works in theory in my head but if someone could just confirm that it will or wont work for me please

cheers

Film manufacturers over estimate the speed of their film, I meter Ilford 3200 at 1000 with a hand held meter, so you have room to experiment with a 1600 max setting.
1000 seemed to work pretty good indoors like churches & wotnot, sometimes it was a shade over exposed outside in good sunlight....depends where I pointed the meter I suppose.

so your reffering to pulling the film?

that sounds interesting i might try it. im asking this question because i would like to shoot at night in complete darkness and would like the use of the 3200 ISO.

Nope, no push or pull, just shoot it as 1000 and develop normally, you might have to up it in bright sunlight.
I know it should be what the meter says it should be, like you meter it at 1000 whatever the conditions, but it doesn't seem linear, like I said, I find 1000 good for in doors, darkholes like churches, but outside 1000 might be a bit over, you'll have to experiment.
B/W film is pretty lenient with exposure to start with, 3200 is so sensitive its a bit hit and miss sometimes.
One thing I'm sure of is, Ilford 3200 isn't iso 3200, but you can shoot it at that and see what happens, personally I wouldn't worry about shooting it at 1600 in good light and developing normally.
For uber grain - under expose/over develope, try shooting at 6400 and develope with a nice stiff mix..:LOL:

Back