Mint Chocolate... who doesn't like that?!

Edit My Images
Yes
Today's random installment of me playing with my camera.

I would have preferred the chocolate to be darker, and the background (a white t shirt) to be whiter... how can I achieve this?

IMG_2319.jpg

Chocolate3.jpg

Chocolate-1.jpg

The details look good, but the colour balance is off as you say... I guess you shot these under tungsten lighting ? Did you shoot in raw or jpg ? If raw, adjusting the white balance is very easy, in raw processing, just move the sliders. If jpg, I can't help I'm afraid, but I suspect the colour balance tool in PS would be the way to go. To adjust in camera, press the WB button on the back of the camera (about 2/3 way up the LCD on the right hand side, slightly recessed), select the appropriate setting for your lighting conditions.

The details look good, but the colour balance is off as you say... I guess you shot these under tungsten lighting ? Did you shoot in raw or jpg ? If raw, adjusting the white balance is very easy, in raw processing, just move the sliders. If jpg, I can't help I'm afraid, but I suspect the colour balance tool in PS would be the way to go. To adjust in camera, press the WB button on the back of the camera (about 2/3 way up the LCD on the right hand side, slightly recessed), select the appropriate setting for your lighting conditions.

Thanks.

I shot in Jpg, maybe a mistake. I have pretty much zero experience in post production of these.

It was lit using a flurescent bulb desk lamp. Pretty bright. Hmm, yes, maybe I should have played with the white balance...

Just goes to show I can't guess what the lighting was ;)... jpg can produce good results, I prefer raw as I have more latitude to correct my user errors after shooting, at the expense of disk space. What are you using for PP ?

Just goes to show I can't guess what the lighting was ;)... jpg can produce good results, I prefer raw as I have more latitude to correct my user errors after shooting, at the expense of disk space. What are you using for PP ?

I don't mind disc space issues, I keep my memory card clean after each use by deleting all off it and storing only on my laptop anyways (more of an OCD thing, haha).

I'm not doing any PP on it... I have GIMP, and some software that Canon gave me... but I rarely use it. Only because I don't really know how, or what I am trying to achieve! I'm still just learning...

Hope you don't mind had a very quick play, did not do too much other than to set the white point and a few other tweaks so with a little more time has some good potential.

Hope you don't mind had a very quick play, did not do too much other than to set the white point and a few other tweaks so with a little more time has some good potential.

That's much better! Yeh, that's exactly what I was aiming for.

Considering I don't know much about PP, could you give me a n00bie explanation as to how you did it?

Here you go... A quick play in GIMP... I'm sure that with some time and tweaking it could be made a lot better.

Chocolate-1.jpg

Under colours.. Colour balance... I did
colbal.jpg

Here you go... A quick play in GIMP... I'm sure that with some time and tweaking it could be made a lot better.

Ah that's cool, ta!

I'm just playing with GIMP as we speak... I don't really know what much does!

I used CS4 so some of the results will be slightly easier to achieve but don't worry too much its amazing what GIMP can do.

If you have GIMP you can use the levels tool (Colours>levels) and pick the white point in the image. The link below explains it pretty well. A lot of it comes down to the particular image so have a play with the sliders etc until you are happy with the image.

http://world.std.com/~mmcirvin/gimp_tutorial/levels_curves.html

I used CS4 so some of the results will be slightly easier to achieve but don't worry too much its amazing what GIMP can do.

If you have GIMP you can use the levels tool (Colours>levels) and pick the white point in the image. The link below explains it pretty well. A lot of it comes down to the particular image so have a play with the sliders etc until you are happy with the image.

http://world.std.com/~mmcirvin/gimp_tutorial/levels_curves.html

Ah I see now! Ooh, I like this, thanks. I just set white and black points, and it makes such a difference!

Chocolate2WhitePoint.jpg

Wicked, I'll definitely have more of a play with GIMP.

I had a go with the dodge and burn before that... with not so good results :LOL:

nice pics, I would say get your self CS4, [removed] I use that and use raw picture now, find it very good, small tweaks make the picture look really good, especially if you used the wrong auto balance for e.g.....you soon learn it all to!

Last edited by a moderator:
nice pics, I would say get your self CS4, [removed] I use that and use raw picture now, find it very good, small tweaks make the picture look really good, especially if you used the wrong auto balance for e.g.....you soon learn it all to!

[removed]
I'll continue to have a play with GIMP for now me thinks.

Shooting in RAW... does that only aid programs that can edit in raw? Can GIMP edit in raw? How does it differ to editting a normal jpg?

Thanks though :)

Last edited by a moderator:
From the rules guys:

The following content is prohibited on talkphotography.co.uk:

Discussion of, encouraging of, or admitting to illegal activities, including, but not limited to :

Copying, distributing, uploading, downloading, or sharing copyrighted material
How to bypass copyright protection
How to obtain copyrighted material
Hacked or reverse engineered code
How to circumvent any payment systems
Peer to Peer software (even for legitimate use)
Breaking/bypassing EULA agreements
Linking to such information
:nono:

I'll continue to have a play with GIMP for now me thinks.

Shooting in RAW... does that only aid programs that can edit in raw? Can GIMP edit in raw? How does it differ to editting a normal jpg?

Thanks though :)

not sure about GIMP

but i know CS4 does it. I found you can change the picture to a bigger extent without loosing the quality, e.g. if you moved the contrast high in jpeg at some point it would become all blocky. raw picture wouldnt, you can also change the exposure levels and white balance levels of the picture etc, like what the camera would do but if its not how you wanted it you can mess on with it and keep all the quality.

You can then save as a Jpeg and keep the raw as a master.

From the rules guys:

:nono:

lol...

not sure about GIMP

but i know CS4 does it. I found you can change the picture to a bigger extent without loosing the quality, e.g. if you moved the contrast high in jpeg at some point it would become all blocky. raw picture wouldnt, you can also change the exposure levels and white balance levels of the picture etc, like what the camera would do but if its not how you wanted it you can mess on with it and keep all the quality.

You can then save as a Jpeg and keep the raw as a master.

Ahhhh ok ok. Wicked. Yeh, cos currently I am shooting just in jpg, the highest quality I can, not RAW. I'll have to find out if GIMP can edit them :thinking:

lol...

Ahhhh ok ok. Wicked. Yeh, cos currently I am shooting just in jpg, the highest quality I can, not RAW. I'll have to find out if GIMP can edit them :thinking:

I used raw+L jpeg, takes two images, one raw one jpeg, i done that till i got used to twiddling with the raw images. That way if i couldnt do it properly i know i had the normal picture.

I don't think GIMP can handle RAW files but if you use your Canon Software to tweak some of the setting available in there then output to a .tiff file. A .tiff will be of a higher quality than a jpeg, then you can edit this in GIMP. Once you are happy with the result convert it to a jpeg.

Matt

gimp can't handle raw, but you front end it with something like UFRaw and it works fine.

I don't think GIMP can handle RAW files but if you use your Canon Software to tweak some of the setting available in there then output to a .tiff file. A .tiff will be of a higher quality than a jpeg, then you can edit this in GIMP. Once you are happy with the result convert it to a jpeg.

Matt

Ahh ok. I've never used .tiff files. I'll have to have a go with this too! I've not really got to grips with any of the software... Thanks :D

gimp can't handle raw, but you front end it with something like UFRaw and it works fine.

Darn. Hmm...

You open UFraw, raw tweak as necessary, click open in GIMP, and it pipes the adjusted raw into GIMP for editing. I actually have found most of my adjustments are done in raw processing anyway, although I'm using Aperture to do so.

You open UFraw, raw tweak as necessary, click open in GIMP, and it pipes the adjusted raw into GIMP for editing. I actually have found most of my adjustments are done in raw processing anyway, although I'm using Aperture to do so.

UFraw is an entirely different program is it?

Back