Mirror vs Mirrorless

Mirror or Mirrorless

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Name
Christopher
Edit My Images
Yes
So I do mainly landscape photography and I occasionally do some sport photography (using burst and high shutter speeds) so based on what I use cameras for, do I go for a DSLR or a plain digital camera?

Mirror or Mirrorless?
Neither is any good for shovelling coal.

(and this answer makes about as much sense as the poll question does)

Mirror or Mirrorless?

Whichever best suits your needs. Try both and see. A camera is a camera. AF is usually better on DSLRs, and you have a proper optical viewfinder. Are those things important to you? What I think is irrelevant.

@Chris989 Why have you started 2 threads on this in the same forum? Should have just added this info to the other thread.

Sports would tend to make me think a DSLR would be more suitable, as usually, AF is faster with a DSLR. However.. some mirrorless cameras are pretty good. It does sound like a DSLR would be better for you.

Try them both if you're near a camera store.

Last edited:
I'm learning to live with both and wouldn't part with either. Can you add another box?

As above D800 and various lens's when I have my serious landscape head on,
Fuji Xpro-1 and 23mm lens for so called street and casual use.
works for me.

Cheers Bob

Budget is £200-£300 pounds, I have a fujifilm s5500 which is old. I don't mind getting a good condition used DSLR from eBay in that budget-any recommendations? (I mucked up the threads) I mainly use my camera for landscapes and sport photography. I also do landscape night shots.

Last edited:
Not a lot of budget for body and lens, pretty much excludes mirrorless if you want an acceptable autofocus for sports. You're looking at a secondhand DSLR, probably something 3-5 years old. You might even do better with an advanced compact at that budget level.

Christopher - you missed out SLTs - those cameras with an electronic viewfinder than look and behave like SLRs. Around your budget is the Sony Alpha 57 or 58, and these also give access to Minolta A mount lenses which are often a bit cheaper used than equivalent Canikon lenses.

Personally I couldn't imagine wanting to use a camera without a viewfinder for either of those activities.

Sony SLT-A58 is the best option, in my opinion. It costs 319 GBP brand new on Amazon, so it shouldn't be difficult to find one used in your budget.

Last edited:
Mirror or Mirrorless?

Some DSLR have a setting where you can lock up the mirror out of the way for landscape, so there would be no point in buying a mirrorless if you can use the mirror lock-up.

Back