Mirrorless/compact travel camera

JJ!

Edit My Images
No
Misses wants a small decent camera with a nice EVF.

Considering the below (in price order!), nothing nore expensive. Does not have to have interchangable lenses, but IQ needs to be decent enough.

Fuji XT2 with 18-55
Canon M5 with EF-M 15-45
Canon Powershot G5X

Its just for travel, city trips, pic of her horse etc.

The G5X seems very travel friendly - can fit in a hangbag etc. But the other 2 probably carry much better IQ.

Open to other suggestions too!

Considering the below (in price order!), nothing nore expensive. Does not have to have interchangable lenses, but IQ needs to be decent enough.

Fuji XT2 with 18-55
Canon M5 with EF-M 15-45
Canon Powershot G5X

The G5X seems very travel friendly - can fit in a hangbag etc. But the other 2 probably carry much better IQ.

x-t10 or x-t20?

Fuji XT2 with 18-55
Canon M5 with EF-M 15-45
Canon Powershot G5X

I have an X-T2 and with that lens it's a really nice combination. But it isn't that small if that is your priority. My father uses a G5x and I'm always really impressed by the results from that and size wise it's a totally different proposition to the X-T2.

I have an X-T2 and with that lens it's a really nice combination. But it isn't that small if that is your priority. My father uses a G5x and I'm always really impressed by the results from that and size wise it's a totally different proposition to the X-T2.

She does not want an DSLR size camera - but equally she is happy to have a small camera that fits in a small bag or one that would fit in her large handbag.

Guessing the difference in IQ between the XT2 and G5X is quite noticiable!?

Think it will come down to how much she wants to spend!

She does not want an DSLR size camera - but equally she is happy to have a small camera that fits in a small bag or one that would fit in her large handbag.

Guessing the difference in IQ between the XT2 and G5X is quite noticiable!?

Think it will come down to how much she wants to spend!

X-T2 definitely fits the bill there then. I hear there is a wonderful one in the classifieds! As @addicknchips and chips mentioned though there are smaller Fuji bodies that retain the same sensor and swap a few functions in or out. X-T20 and X-T100 or you have the rangefinder style X-E3 etc.

I've never done any objective comparison between the G5x and X-T2 but they're very different sensor sizes so you'd expect there to be a noticeable difference I would think. X-T2 image quality and Jpeg output are just superb and that's a nice lens too.

G5x seems not far behind M4/3 cameras (are they also an option? GM5 is very compact). I've not used it very much but playing with the odd raw file, shadow recovery and detail seemed really good to me. Seems to punch above its weight.

How about a 1" compact?

The big plus points are that you get image quality which is much better than a small sensor compact camera in a still compact camera. The downside is that the image quality will be a touch behind MFT and APS-C but of course in a much smaller body.

A step up from a 1" compact would be a MFT RF style camera such as the GX80. These are IMO a bargain considering the image quality they're capable of but of course they're larger than a compact camera. There's also the small APS-C RF style Sony A6000 / A6xxx cameras.

That's where I'd be looking, a 1" compact or a MFT or APS-C RF style camera.

The G5X is a 1" sensor too - maybe a bit bigger that the GX80 I guess.

The G5X is a 1" sensor too - maybe a bit bigger that the GX80 I guess.

Have a good luck at one then :D

I bought a Panasonic TZ100 as I fancied a compact camera and wanted to see what all of the fuss about 1" cameras was all about and I've been quite impressed with it. I doubt if any 1" camera will match the quality you can get from MFT or APS-C if you pixel peep and look for the differences at ISO 25,600 or take a magnifying glass to an A3 print but they are very possibly good enough for a great many people on holiday or a day out especially for whole pictures viewed normally or even closely.

Last edited:
G3X is a good model! I rate it very highly - just sold mine as I've got too much kit! But nevertheless, vert good and compact and flexible!

I quite like the Panasonic LX100 that I got for my missus.

I initially got her the RX100m3 but found it a bit fiddly. While the pop-up EVF is cute and a nice idea, didn't like using it much in practice. LX100 EVF is much nicer to use.

Last edited:
Olympus EM10-II, EM5-II or used EM1. As you know I went around the houses trying to find the best compromise of IQ and size/weight (EM10, EM5-II, Sony RX100-III, Canon G7x, Fuji XT1 and now EM1) and for me the m4/3 is that system. Also some of lenses are cheap yet very good optically. For me the EM1 and 12-40mm f2.8 is all I need for travel, she could then get the 45mm f1.8 for around £100 used for nice pics of the horse.

She would like an EVF so the M100 is a no go!

Olympus EM10-II, EM5-II or used EM1. As you know I went around the houses trying to find the best compromise of IQ and size/weight (EM10, EM5-II, Sony RX100-III, Canon G7x, Fuji XT1 and now EM1) and for me the m4/3 is that system. Also some of lenses are cheap yet very good optically. For me the EM1 and 12-40mm f2.8 is all I need for travel, she could then get the 45mm f1.8 for around £100 used for nice pics of the horse.
Wouldn't a lx100 be better if all you use is 12-40mm. Not to mention you get a faster lens too. I am hoping they'll make a lx100 successor at some point. Lovely to use that camera.

Damianmkv: is that the Sony compact camera? Just looked on ebay and they are about £280 pre-owned (SONY DSC-RX100 mk II-20.1MP). Is this the correct camera? Looks really good quality.

Sorry to hijack the thread but ive just booked NYC and also looking for the same advice on a travel camera. I like the idea of a compact camera system as I've already got an Olympus Pen EPM-1 but find its a bit dated now and doesn't perform well in low light.
Low light situations and compact size would be my priority for a compact camera so hopefully we (OP) can get the same advice. I can start my own thread if needed.

Damianmkv: is that the Sony compact camera? Just looked on ebay and they are about £280 pre-owned (SONY DSC-RX100 mk II-20.1MP). Is this the correct camera? Looks really good quality.

Sorry to hijack the thread but ive just booked NYC and also looking for the same advice on a travel camera. I like the idea of a compact camera system as I've already got an Olympus Pen EPM-1 but find its a bit dated now and doesn't perform well in low light.
Low light situations and compact size would be my priority for a compact camera so hopefully we (OP) can get the same advice. I can start my own thread if needed.

If you already have a few m4/3 lenses, it would be worth looking at some of the more modern m4/3 cameras. Sensor performance is excellent.

Wouldn't a lx100 be better if all you use is 12-40mm. Not to mention you get a faster lens too. I am hoping they'll make a lx100 successor at some point. Lovely to use that camera.
I didn't like the ergonomics or the viewfinder of the LX100 tbh.

I took the EM1 and 12-40mm to NYC last November/December and it was ideal imo. I always use my cameras on a sling strap so it's always ready to use (as opposed to having to fetch a compact out of a pocket, or taking a camera out of a camera bag) and with the EM1 and 12-40mm you barely notice it.

I have the 14-40mm M.ZUIKO lens only. Does megapixel amount make a difference in low light situations or is it sensor size, lens????

My EPM-1 is only 12mp with micro 4/3 sensor. I have been looking for compact cameras with around 20MP. Not sure if I have my priorities right.

Sensor size has more to do with low light use but I've taken Milky Way images with my Olympus EM5MK2 (16MP)

I find it an excellent system

I have the 14-40mm M.ZUIKO lens only. Does megapixel amount make a difference in low light situations or is it sensor size, lens????

My EPM-1 is only 12mp with micro 4/3 sensor. I have been looking for compact cameras with around 20MP. Not sure if I have my priorities right.
Generally the bigger the sensor and the smaller the pixel density the better the noise handling. Camera processors and (if you don't have an ISO invariant camera) exposure can also influence noise.

Fuji XT2 with 18-55
Canon M5 with EF-M 15-45
Canon Powershot G5X

7u8u8iu58uiiHi

Sorry didn’t see that M50 then

How does the M50 fare againt the more expensive M5?

Looks like its more basic layout with improved features but is meant to be the lower end model?!

Looks like its more basic layout with improved features but is meant to be the lower end model?!

Yeah meant to be lower end model. Image quality wise they seem to be about equal. M5 was very nice to use never used the M50 but lack of direct controls especially single dial would put me off it.

I,ve had both there is less controls but I did not find it a problem as you can customise some of the buttons and you have a q menu. I preferred the M50 due to the flip out screen which I found quite useful.

2nd an M43 system - I can fit my EM1, 14-42 (panasonic mkii), 35-100 (panasonic) and a 17mm (olympus prime for low light) into 1 holster bag. Very easy and small, plenty of focal ranges covered and will do for most things!

A used EM10 ii is a steal for the features you get with the camera.

Moving even further off topic I think Panasonic's now discontinued GM-5 comes close to the ultimate in portability and performance at the moment. 2 bodies with a 12-32 on one and a 45-150 on the other will cover most things well and fit into the pockets of an army surplus jacket. 12mm is wide enough for most things...

Panasonic GM5_red 8GB 02 P1220743 copy.JPG

...and 150mm long enough for others...

Panasonic GM5_black 8GB 07 _1040747 copy.JPG

Last edited:
Well I think most of the possible cameras have been mentioned.

Good luck choosing,whatever you shortlist,get hands on.

Loads of good guys on these forums with mountains of knowledge. Although this wasn't my thread, it has guided me into purchasing a pre-owned Panny LX100 for my travels.

Now extending my search to include something I want too lol.

Been using the Nikon D750 with 35mm D on holiday and although a small set up it’s still a bit big for the trips etc we have been out on. Then if I take the 70-200 it becomes a big set up with what is actually quite a small zoom.

Think I’m going to look at a CSC or micro to use for such purpose as can get a fairly long zoom with compact dimensions.

XT2 is an option, along with M5 and the Olympus and Panasonic options. Lots of choice!!!

Been using the Nikon D750 with 35mm D on holiday and although a small set up it’s still a bit big for the trips etc we have been out on. Then if I take the 70-200 it becomes a big set up with what is actually quite a small zoom.

Think I’m going to look at a CSC or micro to use for such purpose as can get a fairly long zoom with compact dimensions.

XT2 is an option, along with M5 and the Olympus and Panasonic options. Lots of choice!!!
If you want a long zoom with compact dimensions then you’re only option is m4/3 or compact/bridge cameras imo.

If you want a long zoom with compact dimensions then you’re only option is m4/3 or compact/bridge cameras imo.

Not super compact; just not 70-200 big lol

Then buy slower lenses like Nikon's new 70-300, can't have it all.
Yeah it’s pretty light, 600 odd grams if memory serves me right. Mind you, a far cry from my Olly 40-150mm that weighs about as much as a packet of crisps ;)

I have a D750 as well as the Fuji X-T 1 & 2 system. It's the Fuji that gets the most use.

For your wife, maybe an X-Pro 1 or 2 - hybrid viewfinder, switchable between OVF and EVF. No flippy screen though.

Back