Beginner Mirrorless vs DSLR

Edit My Images
Yes
I am completing a photography course and after lots of research chose the canon m6 to invest in due to size and weight. While travelling it was damaged, I am looking to replace and wondered if I should get the same model. I am looking to go pro and can't decide which would be best.thanks

Go to a shop and go for the kit you feel comfortable with. It's not the kit, it's the person pressing the shutter button.

Were you limited by the M6? If no, there's probably not much point switching as you presumably have lenses already and as above, most modern cameras will do the job IQ wise, it's the photograher who makes the difference.

Last edited:
I am looking to go pro and can't decide which would be best.thanks

What kind of ‘pro’ work are you looking at?

I love my M5 but wouldn’t dream of taking it ‘on a job’.

If you want to go pro and stay mirrorless, then Sony and Fuji are currently the only games in town (though canon and Nikon are about to join them).

But the best bang for buck atm is the Nikon d750.

But it does depend on your answer to my opening question, pro cameras are tools, and in many circumstances 2 older s/h cameras makes more sense than the latest model.

As Phil says what 'pro' work will you be doing? I can't honestly think of one area where the Canon M series would realistically be good enough for pro work tbh. Sure the IQ is nice, but the performance wouldn't be up to the job. Perhaps fairly static studio work, but it still wouldn't be my first choice.

Obviously what you choose will depend on budget but I would seriously consider where you see your future and what system you need to invest into for that and one that you are comfortable using. There's no doubt that the market is shifting towards mirrorless and you are entering a time when mirrorless cameras truly offer top notch performance, with cameras like the Sony A7-iii, A7R-iii, A9, Olympus EM1-II, and Fuji X-T2. Nikon will also be announcing it's first FF mirrorless in the next few days, although what the cost will be, when it will be released and how good it will be is anyone's guess at the mo.

Back