Mishaps on location.

Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
Following on from Jake falling into a tarn with Canon 5D what mishaps you had on location.

I was shooting with my DSLR and and 35mm macro lens in Stanely gill Eskdale when I slipped on a rock and fell over. I whacked the lens on a rock but fortunately the camera and lens still work OK. The filter threads have been damaged beyond use by the imapct though.

So what have you happen to you?

I very nearly broke myself in Glen Etive, in November 2012. Slipped on wet rocks and nearly fell a long way down. I had my tripod in my hand folded up and jammed it into the ground like an ice axe to stop my fall. I was miles from a phone signal, and it was very much sub zero temperatures, I'd have been in real trouble. For that reason I now carry a satellite communicator.

Fractured my elbow on the Nantille Ridge in Snowdonia alone in the dark a while back, very painful and difficult to get my rucksack off my back. It did make me realise that it is all very well having survival gear in the pack but it may not be possible to get at it.

Luckily I've never hurt myself when I've been out taking photos. I was up on Cheddar Gorge earlier in the week, and I was stood within a few feet of the cliff edge. I remember thinking that I was completely alone and hadn't told anyone where I was actually going, so if I fell off it would be a while before anyone found me!

I was in Cyprus in holiday a few years ago, and I went down to Paphos harbour in the evening for some photos. As I raised my camera to my eye, my 24-70L lens fell off the front of the camera and hit the concrete floor, landing on the bit where the lens mounts to the camera. Luckily it was insured, but it was the only lens I took with me! I always give the lens a little twist to make sure it's properly attached now lol.

These are nothing compared to the posts above though, some lucky escapes!

I had a little mishap while out taking photos around the Fermanagh Lakes.

Stood on a slipway (didn't see moss!)
Fell on left elbow and slid down the slipway into the water.
Grabbed hold of a rowing boat and called for help.
Someone heard me and pulled in boat and helped me out of water.
Arm was a funny shape, so I was rushed to hospital.
Double dislocation and fracture of ulna.
Surgery and metalwork, followed by more surgery a year later.
I now have ulnar nerve compression and don't have full feeling in my left hand. I will never be able to straighten my arm either!

It doesn't stop me taking photos though!

Got cut off at Porthcurno, climbed the cliff, half way up, ohhhhh that would make a nice shot! Wriggle onto a ledge about as wide as a kerb stone, compose shot, slip, end up hanging by one hand with my back to the cliff and the other holding the camera. ***Dilemma*** Hung for about 30 seconds before i managed to spin myself the right way around, put camera back in bag and finish the climb. Sat in the car for 40 minutes pondering my near miss. I used to work for the local Search and Rescue Naval Squadron in the area and the shame would have been unbearable, deleted all the photos from that evening, didn't want to remember.

Castle Tioram (West Scotland)

Had a lovely day on the beach with my family, my brother's family and the dogs.

We'd done a sea swim around the castle (it juts out into the sea loch) and whilst taking some snaps afterwards I slipped on a wet rock, cracked the back of my head and split my elbow.

I had a fairly large flap of skin (half a playing card size) hanging off my forearm but only connected by a match skick sized thread to my elbow.

My brother (being a gamekeeper) convinced me it wouldn't hurt to 'nip' it off with his knife and let him put in a few stitches.

I suspect the howls are still there LOL

Fair play to him though. Skin off, salt water wash, stitches done, a few drams - worked a treat and saved us a few days holiday.

Last edited:
Back