Missing F Stop

Name
Garry
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Folks

6D Mark II owner and recently upgraded my firmware to v1.1.1

Took the camera out for a spin and noticed F7.1 has vanished, it goes from F6.7 to F8 and the same dialling the other way, I contacted Canon who said to clear the camera settings which I did but no joy I'm afraid

I reinstalled the firmware again just in case it was a glitch but still no F7.1

Anyone else had this even on a different Canon/missing F Stop and managed to get it back?

TIA

Quite bizarrely I could not get f/8 on my Canon R5 once with the RF24-105 lens - a couple of weeks ago. I was using a trigger and flash at the time. The next day it was back, and I could barely believe it had happened.

I'm interested to hear if this has happened to anyone else too.

Hi Folks

6D Mark II owner and recently upgraded my firmware to v1.1.1

Took the camera out for a spin and noticed F7.1 has vanished, it goes from F6.7 to F8 and the same dialling the other way, I contacted Canon who said to clear the camera settings which I did but no joy I'm afraid

I reinstalled the firmware again just in case it was a glitch but still no F7.1

Anyone else had this even on a different Canon/missing F Stop and managed to get it back?

TIA
If its doing f5.6, f6.7, f8 its in 1/2 stop scale as f6.7 is a 1/2 stop. To get f7.1 which is 2/3rd stop it would need to go f5.6, f6.3, f7.1, f8 in 1/3 stop scale. Sounds like the firmware update changed it to 1/2 stop intervals from 1/3 stop intervals.

Last edited:
If its doing f5.6, f6.7, f8 its in 1/2 stop scale as f6.7 is a 1/2 stop. To get f7.1 which is 2/3rd stop it would need to go f5.6, f6.3, f7.1, f8 in 1/3 stop scale. Sounds like the firmware update changed it to 1/2 stop intervals from 1/3 stop intervals.

Ah that might explain it, I'll need to look through some old pics in LR, maybe it was F6.3 it went from and not 6.7, no idea why they've changed it then as I used to shoot a lot at F7.1 that's why I noticed it was missing

Ah that might explain it, I'll need to look through some old pics in LR, maybe it was F6.3 it went from and not 6.7, no idea why they've changed it then as I used to shoot a lot at F7.1 that's why I noticed it was missing
For most DSLRs it's an option in the menus... CFns I on your Canon.

I no longer have a Canon but am fairly sure there is a setting to choose f stop 'steps' of 1/2 or 1/3 stops. Surely even with a firmware update the menu system allows for that user choice?

I no longer have a Canon but am fairly sure there is a setting to choose f stop 'steps' of 1/2 or 1/3 stops. Surely even with a firmware update the menu system allows for that user choice?
Yes it's the first of the orange menus on the R5 'Exposure level increments' (C.Fn1 as @sk66 says).

This wouldn't explain the little aberration I had. Previously I sent off my Canon 5Div to have the top plate replaced as the top back dial was doing unpredictable things. I wondered if the R5 was going the same way, but it was working fine the next day and I have had no trouble since. On the 5Div it would jump across possible options or not move at all, or sometimes move in the opposite direction!

Yes it's the first of the orange menus on the R5 'Exposure level increments' (C.Fn1 as @sk66 says).

This wouldn't explain the little aberration I had. Previously I sent off my Canon 5Div to have the top plate replaced as the top back dial was doing unpredictable things. I wondered if the R5 was going the same way, but it was working fine the next day and I have had no trouble since. On the 5Div it would jump across possible options or not move at all, or sometimes move in the opposite direction!
Sounds haunted if you ask me ;)

For most DSLRs it's an option in the menus... CFns I on your Canon.

I had a look through those settings when I did the original reset and cleared them as well still no joy I'm afraid

I had a look through those settings when I did the original reset and cleared them as well still no joy I'm afraid
Is your camera definitely using 1/2 stop aperture intervals ie f5.6-f6.7-f8? There should be a setting to change it to 1/3 stop intervals.

When you cleared are these settings now set to 0 for 1/3 stop increments?
45851AFC-BE3F-48A6-AD26-1416A7A92966.jpeg

Last edited:
Page 471 of the user manual says....

3Custom Function SettingsN
C.Fn I: Exposure
C.Fn I-1 Exposure level increments
0: 1/3-stop
1: 1/2-stop
Sets 1/2-stop increments for the shutter speed, aperture, exposure
compensation, AEB, flash exposure compensation, etc.
C.Fn I-2 ISO speed setting increments
0: 1/3-stop
1: 1-stop
You can change the manual ISO speed setting increments to a
whole-stop.

There were some graphics and highlighted parts but copy & paste does not grab it "as seen" :(

But the gist is there for you to make the adjustments ;)

Edit ~ @rob-nikon properly pasted pdf page was not showing before I posted.....that's my excuse and I am sticking to that ;) :coat:

Last edited:

It’s set to 1/2 or 1/3, you don’t actually ‘clear it’.

Out of interest, does it happen with all lenses?

Last edited:
Many thanks to everyone who replied, Rob-Nikon and Box Brownie nailed it, somehow the firmware update had set it to 1/2 stop, went into the custom settings and changed it back to 1/3 stop

Back