Beginner Missing Film?

Name
Ayla
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I'm very new to cameras and photography and have found a slight problem, as stated in my thread title my film kinda just dissapeared when I was gonna take a photo it didnt work so I went to look at the film inside and i found the film was gone has anyone had a similar experience and knows how to prevent it in the future?

Hi Ayla, welcome to the forum.

I once lost a flux capacitor and couldn't explain why, but that was in a different time. ;)

I can only assume that you either wound the film back into the can or didn't load a film in the first place?

Check under your bed for Borrowers - you never know . . .

Well my curiosity is piqued!

What camera is this?

Ian's right. Unless you tell us the make and model of the camera, we're going to have a hard time helping you.

I was once shooting with a Yashica T4, and it decided it had had enough of the film I'd loaded and triggered the auto rewind all by itself when trying to advance to the next frame, halfway through the roll. It never happened again. Probably something had jammed or there was too much resistance to pulling the film out of the cassette, for whatever reason, which was detected as the end of the roll. Maybe the same thing could happen at the beginning of the roll with a mis-loaded cassette, or obviously if there were some fault with the camera. But if the cassette itself is missing, all bets are off!

I attended a friend's wedding with my OM2n. Stuck a new film roll in. It caught on the screws behind the shutter curtain. I got to about 40 shots before I worked out the mistake!
The film never actually advanced.

Last edited:
If the film wound back into the cassette then either you did it by mistake, or the camera did it due to some sort of fault if it's one with an automatic wind/rewind system? If there was no film cassette inside at all when you opened the back then either someone is playing tricks on you, or you forgot to load the film.

If you let us know what happened, and tell us the make and model of camera, then I'm sure someone on here can explain what's happened and give you some suggestions on how to stop it happening again.

Film photography can be good fun once you get the hang of things, so don't give up yet! Most of us older ones on here were lucky as we had a friend or relative to show us how to load a film into a camera when we were starting out. Having said that, even with years of experience shooting film, we can still get it wrong occasionally! :facepalm:

Last edited:
If the film wound back into the cassette then either you did it by mistake, or the camera did it due to some sort of fault if it's one with an automatic wind/rewind system? If there was no film cassette inside at all when you opened the back then either someone is playing tricks on you, or you forgot to load the film.

If you let us know what happened, and tell us the make and model of camera, then I'm sure someone on here can explain what's happened and give you some suggestions on how to stop it happening again.

Film photography can be good fun once you get the hang of things, so don't give up yet! Most of us older ones on here were lucky as we had a friend or relative to show us how to load a film into a camera when we were starting out. Having said that, even with years of experience shooting film, we can still get it wrong occasionally! :facepalm:
My only experience with an auto rewind camera it rewound automatically after 36 frames and it left the leader projecting. I suppose if it’s an old 35mm (likely) the I suppose a fault could cause it to wind back, or maybe there was a rewind button on some. :(

My only experience with an auto rewind camera it rewound automatically after 36 frames and it left the leader projecting. I suppose if it’s an old 35mm (likely) the I suppose a fault could cause it to wind back, or maybe there was a rewind button on some. :(
It depended on the camera (and its settings), most rewound fully back into the cassette, but some offered a 'leader out' rewind option in the 'custom functions' settings.

Anyway, let's see what the OP's camera is first before we start confusing them with such things. Their profile lists a Minolta XG-A, which I think is fully manual? However, they may be referring to a different camera here.

If it's the Minolta in the profile, it is a AFAIK a conventional manual wind and rewind for film handing.

So Ayla, if you correctly loaded the film though when you looked inside the film cassette was there but the film was not visible or the 35mm film cassette itself was gone.,........perhaps someone who has access to the camera has played a practical joke on you???

Question. If you joined a forum to ask a question about a film that had magically disappeared, then you realised that perhaps some idiot decided to pinch it, would you come back to the forum to admit that you had sucky friends?

Edit to add: First the film belonging to @Ayla Peaches disappears... Then Ayla disappears.... :jawdrop::eek::eek::jawdrop:

Last edited:
Question. If you joined a forum to ask a question about a film that had magically disappeared, then you realised that perhaps some idiot decided to pinch it, would you come back to the forum to admit that you had sucky friends?

Edit to add: First the film belonging to @Ayla Peaches disappears... Then Ayla disappears.... :jawdrop::eek::eek::jawdrop:

Can anybody else hear the X files music?

Perhaps we should focus on the original question asked :rolleyes:

She may have been better off posting the question in the talk equipment, or beginner section.

Give it more exposure, perhaps...

This is too long for me to read. I'll wait till the film comes out.

I once knew a guy who photographed wedding with his Bronny ETRS, started getting suspicious when he seemed to have taken well over 15 shots without reaching the end of the roll. He quickly realised that a lock on the RFH had been switched meaning the film wasn't winding on... Blank roll.

I often offered to help as back-up but he preferred another photographer, who couldn't master focussing.

I do love it when people come on here asking questions and not staying around for the answers.... NOT!

I do love it when people come on here asking questions and not staying around for the answers.... NOT!

Me too, but in this instance, I think there is a sinister reason for it. I can't help but feel that what ever disappeard their film, disappeared them... I hope Ayla is ok.

:eek:

Remember folk can view threads without being logged in and that can 'hide' that they have seen the helpful replies.

So no way of knowing why she has not responded but as above I hope all is well and she is enjoying her photography journey.

Back