Missing ICC Profile Canon Pro 300

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking for some advice please on how to get an ICC profile to show in either Canon Professional Print and Layout or Lightroom.

I was given a box of Ilford Galerie Professional Smooth Pearl Paper and downloaded the profile from Ilford's website. This came in the form of an AM1X file - after searching the internet I downloaded Canon's MCT software and imported the profile. The profile shows in the list of papers for MCT and also on the screen on top of the printer. However when I go to print the profile is not listed in Canon Professional Print and layout nor Lightroom. Any suggestions please where I am going wrong

I'm using Windows 8.1 and Lightroom 5 (I know these are ageing but are due for replacement as soon as Mac announces the new Mac Mini)

None too but your question piqued my curiosity......

I found this on the Canon site about

"When PPL opens, select Print, then in the General Settings tab select your printer, Media Type, paper size, quality setting and other options. PPL has a built-in library of ICC profiles for Canon papers and will automatically load the profile to match the Canon paper you've selected under Media Type. If you're using third-party paper, go to PPL's Color Management tab and, under Color Mode, select Use ICC Profile, then select the appropriate profile in the Printer Profile pop-up. ICC profiles you've installed will be available in the list to choose from. If they haven't appeared, did you have PPL or your image editor open before installing? Try relaunching it."

I have made the section bold above.

I know nowt about MCT but found this guide to utilise AM1X media file (trust Canon to make life awkward and not stick with conventional ICC profiles)

I hope you can get to the bottom of the problem

PS sorry if I am telling you stuff you have tried already

PPS as not all Canon users will be using the same software setup, have you asked if they have an ICC Profile as well as the AM1X version?

Last edited:
It’s been a while since I added profiles ( and they were for a Pro 1), but you may have to restart the Mac to get them to show?
edit - just realised you’re currently on windows - doh!

Last edited:
None too but your question piqued my curiosity......

I found this on the Canon site about

"When PPL opens, select Print, then in the General Settings tab select your printer, Media Type, paper size, quality setting and other options. PPL has a built-in library of ICC profiles for Canon papers and will automatically load the profile to match the Canon paper you've selected under Media Type. If you're using third-party paper, go to PPL's Color Management tab and, under Color Mode, select Use ICC Profile, then select the appropriate profile in the Printer Profile pop-up. ICC profiles you've installed will be available in the list to choose from. If they haven't appeared, did you have PPL or your image editor open before installing? Try relaunching it."

I have made the section bold above.

I know nowt about MCT but found this guide to utilise AM1X media file (trust Canon to make life awkward and not stick with conventional ICC profiles)

I hope you can get to the bottom of the problem

PS sorry if I am telling you stuff you have tried already

PPS as not all Canon users will be using the same software setup, have you asked if they have an ICC Profile as well as the AM1X version?

Thanks for the link - I've had any play and it seems Ilford don't provide an ICC profile for the paper, only an AM1X file; this would explain why I can't find it !! I had assumed the profile would be contained in the download. However what does seem curious is that the Ilford media type doesn't appear in the PPL drop down but is on the screen on the printer so it must be available to the driver ??
According to Redriver, PPL overrides the printer screen settings anyway so a bit of a pointless exercise ?? It is possible that it is down to user error though I accept I won't get an ICC profile unless I pay for one.

Well it was user error - there is a separate ICC profile on the Ilford site I had overlooked. However I've still got an issue when attempting to print in Canon PPL in that the media type doesn't appear in the drop down media type. I've updated the printer driver and that is now showing as up to date; I'm getting an error message on the printer screen "Size and Type of paper loaded is different from print settings"

Any suggestions please

How about my suggestion above?

I very often get the "Size and Type of paper loaded is different from print settings", every time you lift the little flap to put paper in, in fact. Just accept and print or change the paper size/type in the printer menu

Well it was user error - there is a separate ICC profile on the Ilford site I had overlooked. However I've still got an issue when attempting to print in Canon PPL in that the media type doesn't appear in the drop down media type. I've updated the printer driver and that is now showing as up to date; I'm getting an error message on the printer screen "Size and Type of paper loaded is different from print settings"

Any suggestions please
I am pleased to see that you did manage to find an ICC profile on the website. :)

How about my suggestion above?

I very often get the "Size and Type of paper loaded is different from print settings", every time you lift the little flap to put paper in, in fact. Just accept and print or change the paper size/type in the printer menu
I can force a print but then I'm not certain if it's using the ICC profile or not. The issue is I can only see Canon papers in the media drop down not the Ilford

Most computer issues with me are down to user error !!
Nah! it is just that every day is or can be a school day....never too old to learn has always been my mantra and I am still learning and will continue do so ;)

The paper size is nothing to do with the ICC profile. Have you followed the link I posted and tried installint the ICC profile that way

i.e. this https://www.technipages.com/windows-10-install-icc-profile
The ICC profile is loaded as I can see it in C/Windows/System32/spool/drivers/color and also using the link you provided.

I can see the ICC profile in Canon PPL in the dropdown for profiles but I can't see the media type in the media type dropdown box - only Canon paper types. I had assumed the AM1X file would populate the media drop down and the ICC the ICC profile box ?? Consequently I thought this was why I was getting the mismatch message ??

AFAIK the Pro 300 only detects that the paper has been changed so it assumes that the paper is different, and you either have to tell the printer to just carry on or tell it via the menu what the new paper is. Also AFAIK if you are not letting the printer manage the colours/profile, then it will use ICC from software regardless of what the printer says.

I've just had the solution from another forum - the media type also needed updating in Canon PPL. Once I did this it printed straightaway without any errors and the media type is showing in the drop down.

It looks like you need to update everywhere !!

Thanks to everyone who provided input with this

Back