Mixed lighting

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
I have just been trying to shoot a photo of my dog in my back garden for a project I have come up with. In doing so I noticed a serious gap in my photography knowledge, "how do you shoot in mixed light?" in this case it was bright sunshine (no clouds), which caused shadows in the area the dog was eating her treats.

I didn't have time to go and grab my Speedlite - and even if I did i'm not sure how I would have used it to even up the lighting.

Can anyone offer guidance on this and/or a good article explaining how to deal with such issues?

What i have ended up with is a whole load of photos that are overexposed in one area while under exposed elsewhere, I have used Photoshop to get around the problem, but I feel I have hid behind this phenomenal program for far to long now, so want to take shots that look good without the use of Photoshop.

Hi you can use built in flash Useing your flash exposure compensation to balance the light and AV. Just make sure you are within flash range.

Last edited:
I never even considered the pop up flash, I try to use it as little as possible
this is one of the images:
82860338@N02

I think it was one of the better ones as far as the lighting goes, but any good shots were purely out of luck and not skill.

Have patience...

Position yourself with the sun behind you, and at some point the dog will be in a well-lit spot. The shot you've posted is more or less the exact opposite of this - head dark, bum bright.*

*Of course I'm making an assumption about what part of a dog you find attractive here

Back