Mk1 Focus RS Rig & Mini Shoot

Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
No
A friend finally got his RS on the road (after waiting 2 months for insurance) and was desperate for a shoot. So despite it chucking it down most of the day, we managed to get some rig shots done, and a mini shoot of the exterior. All I had was my single speedlite, not what I usually work with, but it was interesting and tiring running around flashing! Static stuff isn't the best in the world due to it being dark and cold and not planning to do it when dark, but I'm happy with them considering. Think they're probably my best rigs yet though!

George Wake's Mk1 Focus RS
by Matthew_Dear, on Flickr

And a toned down version of the first, which he requested alongside the lairy one.

All C&C welcome :)

Number 2 is the pick for me. Great set. I actually really like 7, the wheels being straight just work for me with it.

Such a fantastic car, would have a Mk1 over the Mk2 in a heartbeat!

Colin

i think the forward looking rig shots are excellent though i dont like the obviously fake exhaust flame! the static shots i dont like the bins or lamp posts sticking out of the car, the overlit A-pillars (interior) and the lighting on the car is a bit uneven. for me then, the rig shots are ace.

Rig shots are top. I like how the road ahead is especially clear. Real sense of (albeit rolling) speed.

Number 2 is the pick for me. Great set. I actually really like 7, the wheels being straight just work for me with it.

Such a fantastic car, would have a Mk1 over the Mk2 in a heartbeat!

Colin

Cheers, I definitely prefer the Mk1 too, even if the interior is a bit lacking.

i think the forward looking rig shots are excellent though i dont like the obviously fake exhaust flame! the static shots i dont like the bins or lamp posts sticking out of the car, the overlit A-pillars (interior) and the lighting on the car is a bit uneven. for me then, the rig shots are ace.

Yeah the location wasn't ideal but I wanted to get something for him, as it kept raining and didn't stop until it was dark. Cheers.

Your best rigs yet.

I dont like the flame exhaust but it looks more real than some ive seen.

Thanks Lou, I'm 50/50 on the flame, thought I'd give it a go at least.

Matthew, can you share with us what your actual rig consists of. Two in particular is excellent.

Pretty much the usual, alu boom, manfrotto cups with pivot heads, super clamps and magic arm. 5D3 with a Tamron 10-24 set to 15mm, vignetting edited out.

As per what kman said about the static shots, but rig shots are looking good, especially #2 and the last one.

Yeah nowhere near my best static stuff but all learning.

Rig shots are top. I like how the road ahead is especially clear. Real sense of (albeit rolling) speed.

Cheers, context is vital in a rig shot IMO.

I will disagree with others time. You certainly had better rig than this mate, especially that clean tt rig shot a while ago which was superb and clean - I know these might be sharp, but the reflections just kill it for me completely, sorry. And the trees on the body work are static compared to the moving trees, different layers? Did you just use this location or any other rig shots coming up buddy?

I will disagree with others time. You certainly had better rig than this mate, especially that clean tt rig shot a while ago which was superb and clean - I know these might be sharp, but the reflections just kill it for me completely, sorry. And the trees on the body work are static compared to the moving trees, different layers? Did you just use this location or any other rig shots coming up buddy?

I just feel these are stronger, the TT ones have no context. The polariser didn't seem to do much to kill the reflections, but it had also just been machine polished and waxed so maybe it was too reflective?

These rigs are done from one image, think it's just the effect of distance making them look stationary.

Just this location, we were going to do more but it started to chuck it down again. I've got another shoot with this in the summer when it's 'finished' which will have more rig etc.

I just feel these are stronger, the TT ones have no context. The polariser didn't seem to do much to kill the reflections, but it had also just been machine polished and waxed so maybe it was too reflective?

These rigs are done from one image, think it's just the effect of distance making them look stationary.

Just this location, we were going to do more but it started to chuck it down again. I've got another shoot with this in the summer when it's 'finished' which will have more rig etc.

I can see what Reinis is saying, but why I feel these are your strongest yet, is as you said the location.

It fits in with the car well and paints a better picture than your previous rig shots which have been quite empty spaces.

Location wise fully agree that this is better mate, but the tt rig shot still remains my favourite from you!

Back