Mobile Phone Cameras

Edit My Images
Yes
Previously I've had a lower end mobile phone, which suited my needs. My Moto G7 plus is moving towards replacement time - battery not holding charge and lock ups becoming more common. This time I fancy getting a phone with a decent camera to use when I've not got the full size gear with me.

My question do I need to go top of the range e.g iPhone to benefit from a decent camera or will a slightly less expensive model do the job I want

Dunno - I'm really happy with the snaps I get from a second hand Pixel 6.

Google says an iPhone 14 has a better camera in some cases but it's like £800 more.....

I also have a Pixel 6, and I like the camera. Works well with Lightroom app, and Snapseed too. Pixel 7 is coming down (slowly) in price as Pixel 8 is on the horizon.

I also have a Pixel 6, and I like the camera. Works well with Lightroom app, and Snapseed too. Pixel 7 is coming down (slowly) in price as Pixel 8 is on the horizon.
Have you ever printed any of your photos from it to say A4 - I'm just trying to get a feel for the quality

Have you ever printed any of your photos from it to say A4 - I'm just trying to get a feel for the quality
I'm ashamed to admit that apart from 6x4s with a canon selphy, I have not printed anything since lockdown. My printers are defunct, and I would have any prints done professionally now. I'm a PDI worker.

If it helps, I could arrange for you to receive an image from my phone, untouched. Both jpg and raw. just let me know, with an email address, and I'll send by WeTransfer.

I'm ashamed to admit that apart from 6x4s with a canon selphy, I have not printed anything since lockdown. My printers are defunct, and I would have any prints done professionally now. I'm a PDI worker.

If it helps, I could arrange for you to receive an image from my phone, untouched. Both jpg and raw. just let me know, with an email address, and I'll send by WeTransfer.
That's very helpful thanks. I've sent you a PM with my email

I was pretty blown away with the Pixel 7 Pro's camera compared to my 5 year old Sony one (which was still very good). It is the dynamic range where I really notice it, although I suspect some software trickery going on. Speaking of which, I believe Google phones do heavily use software to improve the images and often it is very good.

In good light, the quality is excellent and for general walkaround with the family etc it's more than enough. In more challenging light the photos still look good but only really on a mobile. You will quickly see the limitations on the big screen. The dedicated wide and telephoto lenses make a big difference and the more powerful processor in the phone is also very evident as everything is very snappy (excuse the pun!).

Obviously there's the portability, ease of use including switching between lenses (wide, normal and tele), plus switching to video etc and fast integration to social media or sharing makes a good phone camera so appealing, but now there's features such as using it to live translate languages (handy if on holiday) and things like being able to take a photo of something and it will find where you can buy it makes it a pretty awesome tool.

Here's some recent samples from the Pixel 7 Pro showing both reduced to 1200px wide and also 100% crops if it helps. I'm not sure how many I can post, so I'll continue onto another post if needed. The rhino was taken through my car window, hence being a little darker.

Police.jpg
Police 100% Crop.jpg

Ants.jpg
Ants 100% Crop.jpg

Rhino.jpg
Rhino 100% Crop.jpg

Last one: Loch Lomond.

The P7P also has a Night Sight thing which in 2-5 seconds can turn an near pitch black room into one that looks full of light. It's quite incredible really. I think most of the latest phones all have their equivalent versions of all these various features.

PXL_20230701_093931323~3.jpg

I have an iPhone12 pro and my son has a pixel 6 pro, the pixel beats the iPhone for long shots the digital zoom is very good, my iPhone is probably better for normal 'street' photography, it all depends on what use you want from the photographs.
My wife has a Samsung A53 which was much less than either of the above phones and is great for low light shots at concerts but again not so good for general photography, though still very usable.

In March we had a talk on Mobile Phone phone photography at my camera club from a professional and she suggested that an iPhone11 was best value as camera in more recent versions were no better. A couple of months ago my iPhone 8 developed a fault so I have now bought an iPhone 11. It is not often that I will use it for photography but useful as sometimes it may be the only camera I am carrying. I could have bought an iPhone 14 but felt it was a lot to pay and could make me a target for muggers etc.

Dave

I was pretty blown away with the Pixel 7 Pro's camera compared to my 5 year old Sony one (which was still very good). It is the dynamic range where I really notice it, although I suspect some software trickery going on. Speaking of which, I believe Google phones do heavily use software to improve the images and often it is very good.

In good light, the quality is excellent and for general walkaround with the family etc it's more than enough. In more challenging light the photos still look good but only really on a mobile. You will quickly see the limitations on the big screen. The dedicated wide and telephoto lenses make a big difference and the more powerful processor in the phone is also very evident as everything is very snappy (excuse the pun!).

Obviously there's the portability, ease of use including switching between lenses (wide, normal and tele), plus switching to video etc and fast integration to social media or sharing makes a good phone camera so appealing, but now there's features such as using it to live translate languages (handy if on holiday) and things like being able to take a photo of something and it will find where you can buy it makes it a pretty awesome tool.

Here's some recent samples from the Pixel 7 Pro showing both reduced to 1200px wide and also 100% crops if it helps. I'm not sure how many I can post, so I'll continue onto another post if needed. The rhino was taken through my car window, hence being a little darker.

View attachment 398346
View attachment 398347

View attachment 398348
View attachment 398349

View attachment 398355
View attachment 398356
Thanks for sharing the images. I've done a bit more research and just thinking if I want to splash the extra for the Pixel 7 Pro over the Pixel 7 or wait until September when the latest iPhone is released and a standard iPhone 14 gets cheaper.
I'm generally looking for a much improved camera - shouldn't be hard !! I notice mine struggles particularly in focusing at even a moderately close distance e.g. flowers or butterflies that only move very slightly. I'll use it like probably the majority of people for snapshots but would be good on occasions when I don't have the full kit with me to be able to produce half decent images such as landscapes

Back