Mobile Phone photography

Because my phone is always with me & my RX100 isn't ? ;)

But thats one of the good things about the RX100, you can take it everywhere!

My phone might always be with me, but most of the time the battery's dead!

What's the point of taking it with you then ? :ROFLMAO:
You never know, I might need to make a call during the battery operating window?

Exactly the one I referred to earlier. Printed out larger than most here who say it is rubbish ever do themselves.

A friend of mine got featured in them. Very impressive.

Of course, phones are PANTS in low light.

I think it's incredible what phones can do these days. And to be a part of the growing technology is an utter privilege.
I can remember (what seemed like a few years ago!) A phone pic was the smallest, most horrific quality pic ever!!

I took this last weekend in Brighton;

Brighton beach panoramic by Andy Foster, on Flickr

It took about 10 seconds to create. That would have taken bloody hours for me to make using a 'proper' camera. Getting the exposure right, lining the shots up right, all the PP'ing (stitching, blending etc....)

Just mindblowing really.

Last edited:
That is very good.:)

I realise that this thread has not been used for quite a while but I'm finding myself using my phone for pictures quite often now.

I've started editing and sharing my photos on Instagram, mostly shot jpeg but occasionally I shoot raw on my Galaxy S6 and process with Snapseed.

Here are some examples:

13652137_1186589328071690_774325590_n.jpg

14031758_495617460648640_954126324_n.jpg

I know this thread died some time ago, but I found it interesting. I wonder in the intervening year and a bit, has anything improved/changed significantly? I'm no expert on phone cameras you see, just curious.

Of course I know the phonecam is a snapshot camera, and, despite the impressive software developments it's never going to compete with a real camera. But always having it to hand means it can capture extraordinary events where quality becomes irrelevant. (I'm thinking of the tube bombings when some phone images were so evocative).

I just returned from a holiday and left my real camera behind, deciding to rely on my wife's iPhone 6. Why? Because I was going to basically eat, pool, eat, sleep, I knew I didn't need a real camera at all. And I didn't miss it for a second. Enjoying snapping away on the phone and sharing with friends around the world in an instant. It was the right tool for that job! Now I think I need to get one, which should I go for? Any advice? The P9/10 looks promising.

These images from Giles Clarke are food for thought.

Anyway, here is a holiday snap to share. Noise and all, straight from the phone.

Sunset RailingsLR.jpg

Last edited:
The most lauded phone camera at the moment is the LG G6 because it has a dedicated wide angle lens as well. I would keep an eye on the honor 8 pro, honor 9 (soon to be released) and the new "Essential Phone" coming out soon. iPhones oversaturate quite a bit. Samsung cameras are very good too, but the phones are overpriced in a similar way to iPhones.

The most lauded phone camera at the moment is the LG G6 because it has a dedicated wide angle lens as well. I would keep an eye on the honor 8 pro, honor 9 (soon to be released) and the new "Essential Phone" coming out soon. iPhones oversaturate quite a bit. Samsung cameras are very good too, but the phones are overpriced in a similar way to iPhones.

I've recently got myself an LG G6, obviously it's not DSLR image quality, but it's fun trying something different.

Lantern (Mobile Phone Photo)
by Andy Aveyard, on Flickr

Back