Mobile Phone photography

@Raincloud

Please either show how good a phone camera is or shut up about it.

I'd love to see to see some of your phone snaps so please start a thread and put some there so we can all marvel at the brilliance of them.

In the time it has taken you to troll the two threads about the subject you could have gone out, taken some nice snaps, added a nice filter, started a thread and posted a couple.

On spring watch this week there has been a bit of thing where the guest has gone out and taken a mobile phone shot in half an hour so I'm sure a person of your experience should be able to at least get something presentable before dark as you've pointed out a mobile can take photos in poor light.

I have taken others but i know for a fact that people just out of childish spite would attack my shots!

Unfortunately you are doing it again and projecting your perceptions as fact. You do not know that "but i know for a fact that people just out of childish spite would attack my shots!" you appear not to understand the difference between opinion (based on your perception) and fact. No one here has stated they hate mobile phone cameras or dismissed them as useless, it is all in your head! Why not stop being so defensive and narrow minded and have a bit of faith in your fellow photographers to give an honest opinion.

@Raincloud

Please either show how good a phone camera is or shut up about it.

I'd love to see to see some of your phone snaps so please start a thread and put some there so we can all marvel at the brilliance of them.

In the time it has taken you to troll the two threads about the subject you could have gone out, taken some nice snaps, added a nice filter, started a thread and posted a couple.

On spring watch this week there has been a bit of thing where the guest has gone out and taken a mobile phone shot in half an hour so I'm sure a person of your experience should be able to at least get something presentable before dark as you've pointed out a mobile can take photos in poor light.

No need as if you have looked at this thread instead of attacking me you would have seen that someone else had produced a link to some stunning mobile phone photography!! :banana:

Unfortunately you are doing it again and projecting your perceptions as fact. You do not know that "but i know for a fact that people just out of childish spite would attack my shots!" you appear not to understand the difference between opinion (based on your perception) and fact. No one here has stated they hate mobile phone cameras or dismissed them as useless, it is all in your head! Why not stop being so defensive and narrow minded and have a bit of faith in your fellow photographers to give an honest opinion.

It that last bit supposed to be a joke? lol :clap:

Yes but it depends what you want and are after pal.

If i zoom with my feet to go close to my daughter it takes a lovely shot! Mobile phone lens is not the same as a DSLR lens! I thought you knew that buddy?

When i use my 550D with a 50mm i 'zoom with my feet'. I do the same with my mobile. The results are very pleasing! Ok, i am no pro like you Obi-Wan Kenobi but for me they suffice!
Exactly! It depends what you want, and if you want an attractive headshot the lens on a camera phone is the wrong focal length.

You'll agree that they're different 'photographs', the site isn't called 'talk good enough pictures for me'. It's 'talk photography' and we all thought that was the point. The thread is called 'mobile phone photography' not 'mobile phone snaps that are ok'. For someone who's spent 25 years photographing with multiple formats, you appear to have only a slight grasp on how optics work.

There's no need to start the ridiculous sub plot again.

I'm not attacking you, I'm asking you to show how good a mobile phone camera is with a couple of your snaps.

If you asked me to show you how good a dslr is I wouldn't just show you some of Lindsay Adlers ( for example) work.

I just come back to this thread and woah!

This thread just feels like it's gone on too long and could go round in circles for god knows how long. Not a dig at anyone at all here, truthfully. It's a tool at the end of the day and I think Danny ( @danny_bhoy ) summed it up perfectly on page 2 with regards to it's versatility and limitations which I quote:

- The software (ie all of the different photo-manipulation apps) IS very versatile, in that they allow you to manipulate a photograph in many different ways.

- The hardware (sensor, lens etc) of a mobile phone is not built for versatile use in varying conditions and is nowhere near good enough for pro use for the plethora of reasons mentioned in this and the previous thread (and likely won't be anywhere near good enough until we've all turned to dust).

Just enjoy what you use :) I'm just a keen enthusiast, not a pro, and I shoot using various equipment be it film, mirrorless, phone, whatever. My focus is on just crafting the image. I'm aware of limitations and use what is right at the time.

It that last bit supposed to be a joke? lol :clap:
No not a joke, but I can see how you avoid the main point and fixate on something that neatly avoids the subject, even adding a smiley for effect. I have been looking at critique on this forum for a while now and have yet to see any of the kind you describe, again perhaps you could give some evidence, a link to a thread perhaps? I really do not think anyone is attacking you just asking for some evidence of what you have claimed to produce, if you see that as an attack I think it again lies more with your perception than reality.

Last edited:
Anyway guys, if you hate mobile cameras then dont go near them. For me, i like all aspects of photography. I love my SLR, DSLR, Compact, and Mobile! All good in different ways.
And yet despite several requests you refuse to show where anyone said they hate mobile phone cameras. You insist on believing it, but it's just not true, and where I've quoted posts to show its not true you just change the subject or attack me personally.

I used to think you were a troll, now I feel guilty, it's a full on persecution complex.

Exactly! It depends what you want, and if you want an attractive headshot the lens on a camera phone is the wrong focal length.

You'll agree that they're different 'photographs', the site isn't called 'talk good enough pictures for me'. It's 'talk photography' and we all thought that was the point. The thread is called 'mobile phone photography' not 'mobile phone snaps that are ok'. For someone who's spent 25 years photographing with multiple formats, you appear to have only a slight grasp on how optics work.

There's no need to start the ridiculous sub plot again.

Yes, you are right my dear friend. They are different. But, one can still achieve an attractive head shot with a mobile!! :banana::wave:

I just come back to this thread and woah!

This thread just feels like it's gone on too long and could go round in circles for god knows how long. Not a dig at anyone at all here, truthfully. It's a tool at the end of the day and I think Danny ( @danny_bhoy ) summed it up perfectly on page 2 with regards to it's versatility and limitations which I quote:

- The software (ie all of the different photo-manipulation apps) IS very versatile, in that they allow you to manipulate a photograph in many different ways.

- The hardware (sensor, lens etc) of a mobile phone is not built for versatile use in varying conditions and is nowhere near good enough for pro use for the plethora of reasons mentioned in this and the previous thread (and likely won't be anywhere near good enough until we've all turned to dust).

Just enjoy what you use :) I'm just a keen enthusiast, not a pro, and I shoot using various equipment be it film, mirrorless, phone, whatever. My focus is on just crafting the image. I'm aware of limitations and use what is right at the time.

Agreed

And yet despite several requests you refuse to show where anyone said they hate mobile phone cameras. You insist on believing it, but it's just not true, and where I've quoted posts to show its not true you just change the subject or attack me personally.

I used to think you were a troll, now I feel guilty, it's a full on persecution complex.

Look at your post buddy. Enough said! ;)

Yes, you are right my dear friend. They are different. But, one can still achieve an attractive head shot with a mobile!! :banana::wave:

But what if you want the shot that has the attractive flattened perspective look you get from a tele lens?

What if the subject has a pronounced forehead, overbite or big nose? They'll not thank you for the headshot on a WA lens.

But what if you want the shot that has the attractive flattened perspective look you get from a tele lens?

What if the subject has a pronounced forehead, overbite or big nose? They'll not thank you for the headshot on a WA lens.

But you are being pedantic as ever!! :banana:

But you are being pedantic as ever!! :banana:
How is that pedantic? It's a straight question. Historically photographers all round the world refer to short or medium tele lenses as a 'portrait lens', because it gives an attractive perspective if you frame a headshot.

You're lucky your daughter is cute enough that you can get an attractive headshot with a WA lens, but most people aren't.

How is that pedantic? It's a straight question. Historically photographers all round the world refer to short or medium tele lenses as a 'portrait lens', because it gives an attractive perspective if you frame a headshot.

You're lucky your daughter is cute enough that you can get an attractive headshot with a WA lens, but most people aren't.

Lol, you do make me laugh pal :D:withstupid:

Why?

i must be stupid, I can't see anything funny.

Have you ever taken a photograph? Because your lack of comprehension of the subject is beginning to look very weird.

Why?

i must be stupid, I can't see anything funny.

Have you ever taken a photograph? Because your lack of comprehension of the subject is beginning to look very weird.

Lol, you are posting in a desperate way now buddy! :LOL:

As a general snapping tool i find it very satisfying indeed. I have managed to produce some very acceptable shots which i have put into a photobook. Ok, i am only an amateur with bad eyesight if you listen to some on here but for me and my family they are more than suitable. I am not after pixel perfect shots!
And I am confident that you will find nobody that will disagree with you on the above. A mobile phone camera is perfect for that without a shadow of doubt, and when you are lucky and the conditions permit a whole lot more.

And I am confident that you will find nobody that will disagree with you on the above. A mobile phone camera is perfect for that without a shadow of doubt, and when you are lucky and the conditions permit a whole lot more.

This is all i am saying!

I have never said it would replace a DSLR or be the go to equipment for a pro wedding tog, like my dear pal Philv!

But you are just being pedantic as ever!
Not he is emphasising the versatility of interchangeable lens systems
Excellent I think we are all having fun

No need to explain as you are a pro? :nailbiting:
From your smiley it looks like you are scared, there is no need, try to conquer your fear of professional photographers.

Look at your post buddy. Enough said! ;)
Actually nothing said! but love the style alludes to something means nothing, form over substance!

Not he is emphasising the versatility of interchangeable lens systems

Excellent I think we are all having fun

From your smiley it looks like you are scared, there is no need, try to conquer your fear of professional photographers.

Actually nothing said! but love the style alludes to something means nothing, form over substance!

Cheers buddy

This is all i am saying!

I have never said it would replace a DSLR or be the go to equipment for a pro wedding tog, like my dear pal Philv!
Actually I seem to remember that that is exactly what you have been saying and suggesting. But hey nothing wrong with changing your stance. (y)

Obviously you can't read!! lol :eek::eek:

Perhaps, or perhaps not ;)

Yes, i know you need some good equipment for wedding photography but................ a camera in the right hands.........be it a mobile phone, can produce great shots!

My wedding photos were taken by family members and when sorted and chosen we had a superb set of memorable and excellent shots! All put into a lovely album of which many people have asked who the photographer was so that they could use him!

One day the wedding tog will be using a mobile to take the shots! The days of lots of kit and expensive kit at that are numbered!

Blah blah blah! :thinking::thinking::thinking:
And funnily enough it was your blah, I didn't have to say anything.

You know what, if that is the best grown up response you can come up with, then I would suggest this thread well and truly has had it.

Last edited:
Ooo I just learned a new word, cheers Phil (y)
As for a certain weather formation, I think the guys would rather you played like an adult,
or went home to bed.
Thanks (y)

It's one of my favourites, which sort of has its own symmetry.
I had to Google it if I'm honest, but it is rather a good one, stored for future use ;)

Back