Mobile phone top ups at ATM's stopping 1st June

arclight

Oooh that burglar's a cutie
Name
Doug
Edit My Images
Yes
I have just received a text message from Tesco Mobile "From 1st June the top up service at ATM's is being removed for all mobile networks".

Anyone heard of this. I cannot find anything online about it.

MIGHT be that Tesco Bank ATMs will no longer be able to do top ups - not heard anything from EE about it.

MIGHT be that Tesco Bank ATMs will no longer be able to do top ups - not heard anything from EE about it.

Cheers.

Virgin Mobile have been txting warnings about that for a couple of weeks now. They're not specifying, so I'm assuming all ATMs are affected.

Virgin Mobile have been txting warnings about that for a couple of weeks now. They're not specifying, so I'm assuming all ATMs are affected.

Beginning to sound like a disagreement between banks and phone companies.

There was something on the news this morning about ATM network companies introducing transaction charges this year because they're not making enough money to maintain their network. I wonder if they wanted more dosh from the telcos, and got told "No"?

I work for a company that owns atm's this is correct, all our machines are having the facility to do top ups removed. No idea why though.

There was something on the news this morning about ATM network companies introducing transaction charges this year because they're not making enough money to maintain their network. I wonder if they wanted more dosh from the telcos, and got told "No"?

That's not impossible, Link (the company that runs the network all atm's operate on) made changes to the way atm co.s can charge banks for letting you use their machines and cut the charges we can make. Much cheaper for the banks now but an awful lot of less used atm's (in small shops usually) are no longer profitable unless we charge the customer. The sad part is it's the poorest of people who are taking the hit on this.

That's not impossible, Link (the company that runs the network all atm's operate on) made changes to the way atm co.s can charge banks for letting you use their machines and cut the charges we can make.
I wonder if this is the first step, in going back to the old ways when you were charged "at point of transaction" for withdrawing money?
Better find my cheque book :D

The sad part is it's the poorest of people who are taking the hit on this.
As always with these types of bright ideas :(

As well as those like me in places where they have closed all the banks and we have to rely on the one and only
machine at the sainsbury local :banghead:

Can you actually withdraw cash at your local Post Office ?- I can pay cheques into my current account there but not into a Savings account !!

Our 2 proper banks no longer exist , there's not an ATM at the Post Office but there are 2 in the Tesco across the road from there

The other thing that has hit ATM's is people (me included) are just not using cash that much.

Where as a couple of years ago I would have not considered using my credit card for small amounts now I very rarely pay cash.

As well as those like me in places where they have closed all the banks and we have to rely on the one and only
machine at the sainsbury local :banghead:

If it's the only machine in a mile(i think) radious it's protected and won't go chargeable.

Can you actually withdraw cash at your local Post Office ?- I can pay cheques into my current account there but not into a Savings account !!

Our 2 proper banks no longer exist , there's not an ATM at the Post Office but there are 2 in the Tesco across the road from there

Yes you can eithdraw cash at a post office, usually free.

The other thing that has hit ATM's is people (me included) are just not using cash that much.

Where as a couple of years ago I would have not considered using my credit card for small amounts now I very rarely pay cash.

"They" are making it intentionally more difficult to use cash, cash is expensive to handle and more importantly your purchasing cannot be tracked and analysed.

I tend to top up my cash in my wallet with cash back, when I shop in a supermarket.
There are four ATM's at my Morrison's but I only use them when I want to draw larger sums.
I notice that if you use a self service check out, you get a screen offering cash back.

I have my Phone on auto top up, that also limits total monthly usage. saves having to do anything at all.

Last edited:
In regard to topping up my PAYG phone I have never done so via the ATM, I just buy a voucher in the supermarket or corner shop I might be in or near.

PS as for cash, yes always like cash in the wallet and cc for main purchases.

Last edited:
Looks like there is a tie up with all this.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48107372

Think I will start using my local "one man band" Post Office. Not sure it will be around too much longer. It is already hanging by a thread.

I do mine online, £2.40 used this year on PAYG, where will it end. :jawdrop:

"They" are making it intentionally more difficult to use cash, cash is expensive to handle and more importantly your purchasing cannot be tracked and analysed.
I am not doing anything illegal so not really concerned about my purchase being "tracked and analysed".

I am not doing anything illegal so not really concerned about my purchase being "tracked and analysed".
That's the stock response for those that don't mind Big brother watching your every move, but some of us
would say, wanting privacy is not equal to having nothing to hide.

That's the stock response for those that don't mind Big brother watching your every move, but some of us
would say, wanting privacy is not equal to having nothing to hide.
So if that is your concern, don't buy anything with credit/debit cards then.

All that has changed for me is I now use my credit card for small purchases I have always used my credit cards for purchase greater than £20. Obviously apart from places that don't take credit cards. (but again they are getting less and less)

I have always accepted that by using a credit card how I spend my money and on what can be tracked, I don't really see a problem. As I have already said I have nothing to hide, nor do I see it as a vast invasion of my privacy. If I was worried about "big brother" watching my every move I wouldn't go anywhere. With the number of CCTV cameras there are and lets not forget ANPR cameras. Lets not forget GCHQ and Menwith Hill.

Using cards ends up costing everyone more. Every card transaction costs the retailer/service provider and since they're no longer allowed to charge people for card transactions, prices across the board have been raised to cover the transaction costs. Contactless transactions used to be free to the retailer but no longer and since the transaction is so easy, people are using them for very small amounts and while the transaction costs to the retailers are based on a percentage, there's a minimum charge so on a £1.50 transaction, there may be virtually no profit to the retailer.

Using cards ends up costing everyone more. Every card transaction costs the retailer/service provider and since they're no longer allowed to charge people for card transactions, prices across the board have been raised to cover the transaction costs. Contactless transactions used to be free to the retailer but no longer and since the transaction is so easy, people are using them for very small amounts and while the transaction costs to the retailers are based on a percentage, there's a minimum charge so on a £1.50 transaction, there may be virtually no profit to the retailer.

It has always been the case that there is a cost associated with using a credit/debit card. For a lot of businesses there is a cost in taking cash to the bank also. If a retailer is being charged a minimum amount per transaction then maybe it is time they look at another supplier.

I Trust if it concerns you so much you don't use a credit/debit card?

Not for small amounts, no.

Yes, there's always been a cost with using a card but that cost used to be passed on to the customer - no longer permitted so the prices have been raised to cover the cost. AFAIA, all the providers have a minimum charge per transaction but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

........Contactless transactions used to be free to the retailer but no longer and since the transaction is so easy, people are using them for very small amounts and while the transaction costs to the retailers are based on a percentage, there's a minimum charge so on a £1.50 transaction, there may be virtually no profit to the retailer.
Wow £1.50, is that for all transactions? I used my debit card to pay for postage which cost £1 at the PO, so they're out of pocket by 50P?

No, the £1.50 is the total transaction NOT the charge to the retailer.

So if that is your concern, don't buy anything with credit/debit cards then.
Its not about debit or Credit cards, I was replying to your stock answer that is often rolled out.
I have nothing to hide, but I don't want "camera's" in my bathroom either.
although I've nothing to hide in there either.
And probably for the same reason(s) that plenty of members on here, hide their profile details.
(Yes I know your's are visible but there is plenty that aren't. )

Its not about debit or Credit cards, I was replying to your stock answer that is often rolled out.
Why is it a stock answer? There are people that have other views, that don't see everything being about "big brother"

It's not about illegality, it's about profit. Everything you and evergone else buys electronically gets logged analysed modeled and filed. The info gleaned is a valuable commodity.

They have an arrangement with Nat West to allow customers to withdraw cash and pay in cheques.
Only know because my local branch closed and that's the advice I was given by the bank

Why is it a stock answer?
"If you have nothing to hide" you have nothing to fear"
Is rolled out time and time again.
Every time there is a discussion about CCTV, or any other form of "tracking" that has become the norm.
Its not a valid pro argument for the amount of tracking that is now going on.

Surely we are all entitled to a little privacy should we so wish?

It's not about illegality, it's about profit. Everything you and evergone else buys electronically gets logged analysed modeled and filed. The info gleaned is a valuable commodity.
Why is this all necessarily a bad thing? Data has always been gathered and used for all sorts of reasons. EXAMPLE. How do you think percentile figures for babies are obtained? (figures used to determine how well a baby is growing.) It may be a commodity, but to me as an individual it is not actually worth anything.

"If you have nothing to hide" you have nothing to fear"
Is rolled out time and time again.
Every time there is a discussion about CCTV, or any other form of "tracking" that has become the norm.
Its not a valid pro argument for the amount of tracking that is now going on.

Surely we are all entitled to a little privacy should we so wish?

Fully accepting we are the most monitored country in the world for CCTV, but I don't see it as a privacy issue. Lets not forget it is the same laws that allow the use of CCTV in public place is the same laws that allow us to take photographs in a public place. Start restricting CCTV and I am sure the same rules will be applied to photographs as well.

Fully accepting we are the most monitored country in the world for CCTV, but I don't see it as a privacy issue.
We are getting off track here, I'm not talking about the use of CCTV per se just the expression that most people use, when confronted with "Tracking"
Via CC / debit cards, their mobile phone and possibly Alexa / echo and "smart" TV's.

the same laws that allow us to take photographs in a public place.
Photography has been around in all genre a lot longer than CCTV.
There are probably "Grandfather rights" protecting that.
Of course, I don't know for sure, and its a whole new discussion.

We are getting off track here, I'm not talking about the use of CCTV per se just the expression that most people use, when confronted with "Tracking"
Via CC / debit cards, their mobile phone and possibly Alexa / echo and "smart" TV's.

Data harvested by cc/Debit cards is very different from data obtained by mobile phones and the possibility of Alexa type devices. For the record the GPS on my phone is turned off, and I won't have an alexa type of device in the house.

Photography has been around in all genre a lot longer than CCTV.
There are probably "Grandfather rights" protecting that.
Of course, I don't know for sure, and its a whole new discussion.

FMU, CCTV has used "photographer rights" as the means to allow CCTV.

Data harvested by cc/Debit cards is very different from data obtained by mobile phones and the possibility of Alexa type devices
But its still data being collected ..

FMU, CCTV has used "photographer rights" as the means to allow CCTV.
I have no idea, but it wouldn't surprise me TBH

For the record the GPS on my phone is turned off, and I won't have an alexa type of device in the house.
At least we agree on something (y)

At this precise moment I have no idea where my phone is, probably in the house or it might be in the car
I'll use the landline to ring it later and see, the top up thing doesn't really affect me, it's a sim only monthly contract which is capped so if |I have lost it tough, they can't run up a huge bill and as it has no personal/bank details on it
I really couldn't careless right now

At this precise moment I have no idea where my phone is, probably in the house or it might be in the car
I'll use the landline to ring it later and see, the top up thing doesn't really affect me, it's a sim only monthly contract which is capped so if |I have lost it tough, they can't run up a huge bill and as it has no personal/bank details on it
I really couldn't careless right now

Capped does not mean they cannot run up a huge bill. Charge to mobile services are not part of your spend cap.

It might in your world, but I have it in writing in my contract that I will never be charged more the £2 extra
in any one month

Back