Mobile Wifi device

J

JordanHPhoto

Looking to get a mobile wifi device (mifi) to be able to send photo while out and about, any recommendations?

Was looking at the VODAFONE R207 and the EE Osprey 2.

Does your phone have an option to be a wifi hotspot? Many do b
This is what I use, but you need to check if you are allowed to teether on you mobile contract.

A friend of mine has just got an unlocked EE Osprey with 2Gb included and said it's great. She's had a laptop, Ipad, Iphone, 3 tablets and a couple of android phones connected and still gets good speed on all devices. She also said it's easy to set up and easy to top up whenever too. I'm on Vodafone so was looking at the R207 but I just don't go out enough to need mobile WIFI at the moment. It would of been highly useful a few weeks ago when we was on holiday and couldn't get a signal in the place we stayed though, shame I hadn't seen them before we went lol.

A friend of mine has just got an unlocked EE Osprey with 2Gb included and said it's great. She's had a laptop, Ipad, Iphone, 3 tablets and a couple of android phones connected and still gets good speed on all devices. She also said it's easy to set up and easy to top up whenever too. I'm on Vodafone so was looking at the R207 but I just don't go out enough to need mobile WIFI at the moment. It would of been highly useful a few weeks ago when we was on holiday and couldn't get a signal in the place we stayed though, shame I hadn't seen them before we went lol.

If you didn't have a signal on your phone you're not likely to get a signal for the mobile Wi-Fi either.
Check your phone contract and see if you can tether (as it's free) before spending any money.

Unfortunately my phone doesn't have the option to use it as a hotspot, don't think o2 even provide it to anyone.

Was really considering the EE Osprey, though there wasn't many reviews out there and not allot of great ones.

There are plenty of unlocked MiFi devices on flebay, buy one & a couple of prepay SIMS from different networks. Cheaper than contract & you can just swap the SIMS depending on network coverage :)

There are plenty of unlocked MiFi devices on flebay, buy one & a couple of prepay SIMS from different networks. Cheaper than contract & you can just swap the SIMS depending on network coverage :)

Well allot of places sell them with sims and data already in them, and you just top up when you need it.

Unfortunately my phone doesn't have the option to use it as a hotspot, don't think o2 even provide it to anyone.

Are you on PAYG?

O2 appear to allow tethering on all contract price plans if your handset is compatible (and any iPhone, Android or WP phone would be).

Are you on PAYG?

O2 appear to allow tethering on all contract price plans if your handset is compatible (and any iPhone, Android or WP phone would be).

Nah I'm not on contract with o2, have tried to feather it before but didn't get anywhere with it.

Think of getting the Vodafone R207, can get It with 2gb for a month for £19.99, anyone used it before?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah I'm not on contract with o2, have tried to feather it before but didn't get anywhere with it.

Think of getting the Vodafone R207, can get It with 2gb for a month for £19.99, anyone used it before?

You should be able to tether then as long as your phone supports it. I can on my o2 contract

I'm currently getting 10gig a month with 3 I have a Heawei E5220 wireless modem and it costs £15 month on a rolling contract I have found the signal reception and speed to be very good.
You can now get a sim only deal from Giffgaff or 3 for £20 per month with unlimited data text and calls.

I've tired tethering before but I don't get the option to set up a personal hotspot

I had an EE Osprey for the last 9 months and my phone was on O2. I was buying the 20gb top ups at £30pm on a PAYG. The speeds were great and for uploading to image desks on the hoof was spot on.
However, i had the bright idea of moving my contract over to EE and ditching my O2 contract to save £ on the top ups. Lets just say my EE contract lasted 6 days and still waiting for £300 to be paid back as they dont know their ass from elbow and kept dipping into my account and couldnt state why...
Summary, EE brilliant covergae for data - S*** back end. Am now back on O2 and tethering via my Iphone 6s.

It's in the settings - mobile data menu, and called "personal hotspot" on iPhone. Once it's been activated it shows up directly in the settings menu.
Nope don't even get the option to do that. I don't know why.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3456606.htm#pdpFullProductInformation Just found this, good reviews, might get this. Oh and by the way i'll be using it with a Macbook Pro, should work with a Macbook pro right?

You would get better speeds by sorting out why your iPhone isn't giving you the hotspot feature. Your link is a 3G only device, it's also going to cost you £19.99 for each 2GB top up (valid for 30 days).

What allowance do you have included with your iPhone? And do you tend to use it all up each month?

You would get better speeds by sorting out why your iPhone isn't giving you the hotspot feature. Your link is a 3G only device, it's also going to cost you £19.99 for each 2GB top up (valid for 30 days).

What allowance do you have included with your iPhone? And do you tend to use it all up each month?
Only 500mb and i have used it up sometimes but not every month.

I have EE TopUp (prepaid) 4G - paying each month 15£ And I have 2GBs Data 400 txt and almost unlimited calls (i think) - I bought simlock free Moto G with tethering option - And it works great !

Only 500mb and i have used it up sometimes but not every month.

That's not much, it's pretty close to not having an allowance at all, have you considered looking at asking o2 to move to a plan with a proper allowance? A quick look at the o2 website shows the difference between a 500MB tariff and a 5GB tariff is around £10 a month.

It should work out cheaper than paying for a separate PAYG plan as well as your contract.

That's not much, it's pretty close to not having an allowance at all, have you considered looking at asking o2 to move to a plan with a proper allowance? A quick look at the o2 website shows the difference between a 500MB tariff and a 5GB tariff is around £10 a month.

It should work out cheaper than paying for a separate PAYG plan as well as your contract.
I'm not on contract with o2, i just top up whenever i need it. So thinking of doing the same with the mifi.

Back